Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked briefly at the Marzocchi website and didn't see a fork that fits my needs.

1) 140-150mm of travel.
2) Coil
3) 20mm axle
4) Adjustable travel

For #4, I'm looking for that feature that simply puts the fork to its lowest position for climbing at the turn of a switch (don't know the name for it). I dont need the positions in between. I have a PIKE now and its a great fork, but I'm tired of turning the dial to get the fork down. I want all the way up and all the way down. Turning that dial is getting old. And its really hard to adjust the fork back up unless you unweight the front. I love that maxle though with the 20mm stiffness.

·
Harky
159 Posts
So...you're batting 500 with the Pike (no coil or rapid travel adj). Would a Marz be that much better than the RS??? I've never owned a Marz...
I really LIKE my PIKE. Makes my Minute 2:00 feel like a limp noodle and makes my Fox Float feel like a rigid fork. My only gripe is same as yours...lotsa turning of the U-Turn ;-(

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's my only gripe too. Otherwise, its a great fork. Stiff, plush, responsive. Its a coil too. I'm just tired of turning the knob...twist, twist, twist, twist. The knob is starting to wear out.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
myitch said:
I've looked briefly at the Marzocchi website and didn't see a fork that fits my needs.

1) 140-150mm of travel.
2) Coil
3) 20mm axle
4) Adjustable travel

For #4, I'm looking for that feature that simply puts the fork to its lowest position for climbing at the turn of a switch (don't know the name for it). I dont need the positions in between. I have a PIKE now and its a great fork, but I'm tired of turning the dial to get the fork down. I want all the way up and all the way down. Turning that dial is getting old. And its really hard to adjust the fork back up unless you unweight the front. I love that maxle though with the 20mm stiffness.
Sure, it's called ETA. Flip the switch and lower the fork for climbing. I think Z1 and 66 both fit your description. Here's a 66:
http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...;4;5#DQG#&Vhulh&#@#5;53;&mCJ=&IDOggetto=28046
or an '05 Z1 ETA would be ideal if you can find one:
http://www.marzocchi.com/template/d...Irufhood&#@#*]4#IU#L#HWD*&mCJ=&IDOggetto=8450

Alternately Manitou Flick and Firefly + are 150mm with a travel switch that lowers them to 110mm, with a 20mm axle option. Here's one on sale:
http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=866

If the climbing switch is your main need, the Marzocchi is probably best, since the Manitou travel switch only lowers the fork 1.5", but the Firefly is a really good price...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got my Z1 FR1 2005 and loving its:
- 150mm travel
- coils (2 + air preload)
- 20mm Trhu Axle
- ETA (drop the height to say sub 100mm for climbing with flick of a switch)

Go for 2006 Z1 with ETA and you cant go wrong !

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MikeTheSpike said:
I got my Z1 FR1 2005 and loving its:
- 150mm travel
- coils (2 + air preload)
- 20mm Trhu Axle
- ETA (drop the height to say sub 100mm for climbing with flick of a switch)

Go for 2006 Z1 with ETA and you cant go wrong !
Yeah, that's it! I'll look for one of those. Maybe if I'm lucky I can find a 2005 on closeout somewhere cheap! That air preload must be really nice. I cannot adjust the sag on my PIKE so its a bit on the soft side. One spring up would be too firm. This air preload is just the ticket then.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes! That 2006 Z1 FR Light w/ETA is nice, but ouch the price! MSRP of $750!!!!!!!!!! I think maybe I can live with my PIKE for now.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
myitch said:
Yikes! That 2006 Z1 FR Light w/ETA is nice, but ouch the price! MSRP of $750!!!!!!!!!! I think maybe I can live with my PIKE for now.
The 07 RS Lyrik will have that quick travel adjust knob.
Nothing beats the Maxle, huh.
I hear the Lyrik will not ramp up so fast at the end of compression like my 454 air uturn.
I too do not like the twist twist twist. 12 turns to go from 140 to 110.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
westin said:
The 07 RS Lyrik will have that quick travel adjust knob.
Nothing beats the Maxle, huh.
I hear the Lyrik will not ramp up so fast at the end of compression like my 454 air uturn.
I too do not like the twist twist twist. 12 turns to go from 140 to 110.
Sweet. A PIKE-like fork with quick travel adjust. I just have to wait...uh a few months. Any idea when these will be available. Probably after Interbike, like most new products. It sounds sweet though. My coil PIKE does not ramp up, but is just plush on my tush.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
myitch said:

1) 140-150mm of travel.
2) Coil
3) 20mm axle
4) Adjustable travel

Like someone else mentioned, the 06 Z1 Light ETA is the fork you describe. The prices have already started to drop due to the announcement of the 07 models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts