Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading that thread on cougars and mtn bikers, and realizing that I always ride alone in mtn lion territory, I thought that it would be nice to carry along some kind of protection.

Now I'm not the kind to condemn lions and worry my head off (sure, I used to be :) ), but carrying something could possibly bump up the fun factor on those loneley weekday afternoons, when not a soul is to be seen for miles.

Would pepper spray prevent a mountain lion from attacking for just a bit, to allow some time to breath and plan forward? I've read that the first things to go for when attacked are the eyes....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some Guy said:
You're several magnatudes more likely to have a traffic accident on the way to or from the ride than you are to get attacked by wild animals while riding. Don't sweat it.
Tell that to the biker that was killed. It never hurts to be prepared. I would rather spend an extra $30 that i never have to use then find out at the wrong time I should have spent that $30. While I dont have any advanced knowledge on the fact I would believe that the cougar woudl retreat after a shot to the eyes with spray.

When your bike is 1k+ easily what is a couple more?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alaskan rider

MikeyVT said:
Tell that to the biker that was killed. It never hurts to be prepared. I would rather spend an extra $30 that i never have to use then find out at the wrong time I should have spent that $30. While I dont have any advanced knowledge on the fact I would believe that the cougar woudl retreat after a shot to the eyes with spray.

When your bike is 1k+ easily what is a couple more?
I lived in Alaska for 9 years and would routinly carry Bear Spray, large 16-24oz cans of concentrated pepper spray. I never needed to use it, but I felt I had some option. Most bear/human interactions happen when people blunder into bear business, sow/cub, or cached food, bears don't routinely stalk people. Lions see us as slow 2-legged prey, but pepper spray is better than nothing. Pepper spray is also good for most 4 and 2 legged varmits. I ride with mine on the camel back waist belt, not in the back! If you need it you want it handy.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I wouldn't try it on a Mexican Cougar, if you miss his eyes and get it in his mouth, you're just going to wet his appetite for some meat to go with the pepper sauce. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey I'm Mexcian. Better be careful and not get it on myself if i ever encounter
a MLion. He may be in the mood for some spicy carnitas. Anyway after the
attacks here in SoCal I started carrying the pepper spray i used for jogging
(to ward off dogs) in my cell phone case. Nice to have it close at hand if i
ever need it.
1T

Attachments

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Some Guy said:
You're several magnatudes more likely to have a traffic accident on the way to or from the ride than you are to get attacked by wild animals while riding. Don't sweat it.
If you get knocked off you can spray it in the drivers eyes....not much use but might make you feel better hehe.

Stu

·
Registered
981 Posts
Pepper spray is better than nothing. Some riders carry a smalled fixed blade knife aswell.

If you do get a spray, get one that has a long range spray so you can confront the cougar at a farther distance.

With all that said, I would recommend reading up on mtn lion behavior and what to do if you should encounter one.

Good sites:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lion/
http://users.frii.com/mytymyk/lions/onguard.htm

Mtn lions usually attack from the rear and bite the neck area to render the prey paralized. Some riders in my area decorate the backside of the helmets with eyes to hopefully trick lions. It may be futile, but just thought I mention it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
One more thing...

Buy an extra canister to use as practice. I know many joggers & riders who buy pepper spray and never even bother to familiarize themselves with it.

In a safe area practice spraying it and know it's range and quicks (wind direction etc).

It's not rocket science, but it's good to know.

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'll go buy some pepper spray (and extra can :) ) along with a first aid kit (in case I take a spill alone, 20 miles from home.... though I usually take it easy on the speed when solo).

I wouldn't venture for the knife, as I'm sure I don't have the guts, will, or skill to stab anything.
Why am I even worrying about this anyways... :rolleyes:
Oh well, I'll sure feel better prepared.

thanks
rustyb :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Why am I even worrying about this anyways...
It's good to be aware of the potential dangers of our sport. We are playing on the mtn lion's turf and we need to educate ourselves. So it's good to see you be proactive about what to do. ;)

I wouldn't venture for the knife, as I'm sure I don't have the guts, will, or skill to stab anything.
I am sure you will instantly have the guts to do if you life depended on it ;)

It's good to carry the first aid kit. Alot of people worry about the spectacular like a mtn lion attack, but forget that the mundane can also hurt us.

Also, since you ride alone always make sure you tell someone your where abouts and trail info. There was a rider here in Socal about 2 years ago that died on the trail. He told his family he was riding one place then changed his mind and went to another riding spot. He crashed and had a bad head injury. He called on his cell phone to talk to his wife but was so out of it that he couldn't say where he was. She told the search teams to look at the original location, where he wasn't. His cell phone batter went out and they later found his body at the other trail.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
MikeyVT said:
I would rather spend an extra $30 that i never have to use then find out at the wrong time I should have spent that $30.
I find it unlikely that the pepper spray would save your life.

Then again, I live in Australia. Spiders and snakes are all we have to worry about, and as long as you stay on the bike neither of those represent too much of a menice. Falling onto an echidna would be painful though...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Saved many lives from bears

Some Guy said:

Then again, I live in Australia. Spiders and snakes are all we have to worry about, and as long as you stay on the bike neither of those represent too much of a menice. Falling onto an echidna would be painful though...
I'm not sure about mountian lions but there have been many encounters in Alaska and other northern areas where pepper spray has saved lives. Bear spray (pepper spray) comes in large volume cans than can spray 10-20 feet and deliver several seconds of high volume, not the little spray cans of personal defence spray.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bear Spray

mtnbikerbill said:
I'm not sure about mountian lions but there have been many encounters in Alaska and other northern areas where pepper spray has saved lives. Bear spray (pepper spray) comes in large volume cans than can spray 10-20 feet and deliver several seconds of high volume, not the little spray cans of personal defence spray.
Guard Alaska 20% ultra hot bear pepper spray has proven so effective repelling bears, it is the only one registered with the EPA as a repellent for ALL SPECIES of bear!

9 Ounce Supersize with shotgun fogger delivery.
Range: Approximately 15-20 feet.
Dimensions: Height: 8-3/4" x Width: 2"
An invincible 20% ultra hot pepper spray.
Absolutely the most effective and powerful bear defense spray available today.
http://www.selfdefenseweapons.com/bear-pepper-spray.htm

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pepper spray vs. personal defense spray

"When purchasing bear spray it is important to remember that personal defense sprays are not the same. Although both types of sprays are made from oleoresin capsicum, it is the capsaicin and related capsaicinoids that are the active ingredients in bear spray. Therefore, if you see claims on a large can that state 10%, 20% or 30% oleoresin capsicum, it is a personal defense spray, not bear spray.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates bear sprays pursuant to an Act of Congress. Look for the EPA registration and establishment numbers, usually found at the bottom of the front label; only bear sprays will have this information. Also, bear spray labels will clearly refer to bears, and state it is a bear deterrent, bear repellent, or for stopping attacking bears."

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
Some Guy said:

Is it true there are common spiders that can paralize you in Australia? I swear I watched this show on TLC or something and it was about spiders and snakes in Australia, and one of the spiders featured was one that can be found in houses and neighbourhood parks that had the capability to paralize you. This lady was moving pictures in her house and looking in her kid's Lego and finding these behemoth spiders! And they said you gotta look under toilet seats :eek: That and the deadliest snakes are there too...

Jeez I think everything the most poisonous in the world lives in Australia, or at least so I hear.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
sstaurus said:
Is it true there are common spiders that can paralize you in Australia?
The three most common and dangerous spiders (ie, a bite can kill) in Australia (that I can think of anyway) are red backs, white tails funnel webs. Don't know of any that paralize you, and no deaths have been recordered since the introduction of anti-venoms for the spiders bites.

http://www.amonline.net.au/ has good information on many types of spiders.

Oh and yes, redbacks do love living on the underside of dunny seats.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.