Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok awkward question and thread.

I do a lot of road riding and I notice some people will shout things, beep or whistle as they fly by me in a car. I even got "cat calls" but to me they seem sarcastic as in "keep dreaming, buddy"

I find it annoying to have people doing this while I ride a highway.

Do you all get whistles, get beeped or have people shout things from cars as you ride?

I find it annoying.....just let me ride in peace.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am new to riding bikes but when I had a little motor scooter I had that happen, even when minding my own business not holding traffic up or anything. And I live in a supposedly bike friendly city. I started carrying ball bearings and nuts/bolts in my pocket after having stuff thrown at me. Usually that type of stuff happens when you hold up traffic or ride outside the bike lanes. Just try to make an effort to not hold up traffic and obey signs and for the most part you should be good, but there are always those a**'s.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just wait til they start playing chicken as a "joke."
One of the many reasons I'm more scared of injuries from commuting than mtbing.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm not sure that throwing projectiles that can cause extensive monetary damage and bodily harm to others is the answer, but to each his own, we all learn our own way. Spend that first night in a jail cell and you might approach it differently next time!

·
Registered
331 Posts
At least they are aware of you and aren't going to run into you.
This!

But to answer your question, no. I've been beeped at a couple times but that's about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used to get beeped at a lot, but it stopped when I realised my shorts were a bit too loose and I was showing my asscrack to everyone! :eekster:

Since then, I've had no trouble. Then again, I lived in the countryside in the UK and now in Sweden - people seem to be much nicer!

·
Registered
143 Posts
No problems with that here but one time I was almost to the top of a hard climb, legs were about to give up, was considering falling over, calling the wife, and laying in the ditch till she came and picked me up. Then I hear "keep pedalin dude you almost got it!!!!"
That was pretty cool and motivating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not saying I do this or that I am a fan of it; however, someone I know, who does a couple hundred miles a week on the road, says the outline of a compact pistol showing through a cycling jersey generally tends to keep antics at bay.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just today I got a beep, a "Nice Bike" and some weird BAHAHHAH!! sound like he was trying to scare me,

I'm a paranoid person about how I appear(this is awkward) I take that sort of thing as sarcasm as in "look at that duffass on the bike, let's scare em"

It's annoying. Probably should stick to the trails and hide my ugly ass.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Late one saturday night, i was riding home from work. i had two lights on my ,one on my bag and the other on the back of my seat. Well anyways, i was listening to my ipod , All the sudden a car full of frat boys pulls up behind and yells bang. Scared the crap out of me and almost made me crash. My only reaction is to say"hey F off you dumb a'ss". Thye hear that and circle back, to obviously confront me. My point to to this story is to not yell anything obscene to car full of guys, that is drunk. They will try to chase you down. Other then that experience, i have only had people whistle or call me hot stuff when i am riding.Which i find kind of amusing

·
Registered
31 Posts
I work nights and communte. I'm especially aware of my surroundings on weekends. But last friday was something else, seemed every 5th car would yell something at me, mostly yeehaaw, aaaaaaaaahhhhh, AAAAAAAA, wooooo. I don't mind it too much, but the last car yelled, "Get some!" Didn't quite know what to make of that one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
just wait til they start giving you flying gifts.....
Yup. Took a beer bottle on the back a long time ago. It broke, ripped my jersey and cut me up pretty good. Worst part was that it happened in a split second and I went down hard resulting in more injury. Honestly thought I had been shot when my hand came back bloody as I felt my back.

Spooked me from the road bike for a long time and I still feel safer in the woods.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts