Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to Gambrills State Park yesterday for a day of riding. When I got there, the parking lot was a bit crowded, but not so much so that I couldn’t find a place to park. I pulled in and on the right of me there was a couple feet of space between me and the other car. On the left a couple more feet but not really enough to park. So I get out my gear and start getting ready to ride. The guy who own the car on the right comes off the trail and I start chatting with him about trail conditions and I’m gearing up. While this is going on I noticed a small Honda driving around. It pulls up close to me and I see a female get out of the passenger side. The male driver then starts to squeeze into the few feet between me and the car on my left. There was NO room to open the doors (his or mine) after he pulls in and he almost hits my truck in the process. I think to myself that this guy will realize that this isn’t a good and will pull back out. He doesn’t. Instead he finishes pulling in and shuts off his car. “Oh, HELL no!” I thought to myself. I holler out to him “Excuse me, but how am I going to get into my truck!?!?!?” His reply was that there was NO other place to park. I pointed out to him that the fellow my right was getting ready to leave and there was more parking about a quarter mile up the road. He pulls out and found another place on the other side of the parking lot. Not wanting to leave a bad taste about this I roll up to the guy to speak with him.

Me: “Hey there, I wasn’t trying to be a prick but you almost hit my truck pulling in there and there was no way I could open my door. Just ‘cause you can do something doesn’t mean it always a good idea.”

Him: “Yea, well I was going to have the same problem myself”

Thinking to myself: “WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT TELL YOU THEN!!?!?!?!!?”

Him: “Have a good BICYCLE ride!”

Deciding to take the cue I rode on and had a great ride. The trails were dry for the most part and the female hikers were nice looking and friendly. No Flats or mechanicals

While I didn’t let that little run in ruin my ride, I just couldn’t help but be amazed on just how stupid people can be. I have no doubt in my mid that that guy would’ve crawled through his trunk or out the window to get out and leave his fellow trail lover hanging. Every time I think I’ve seen it all something like that happens.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What? is? with? all? the? question? marks?.

I love it when people park too close. I will turn in thier mirrors and pull out the wippers. I have even once let the air out of a tire. I will most always leave a note thanking them for parking so close and perhaps next time leave a F***ING can opener. if they leave the window cracked I'll take all my trail trash (sticky bar rappers etc) and carfully slip it into the window. You can even go as far as smearing chain lube on the passenger side mirror to give it that clody look that bugs the hell out of ya when you try to look into it.

·
MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer
632 Posts
Nice....Just enough to be malicious.

C.Savage said:
What? is? with? all? the? question? marks?.

I love it when people park too close. I will turn in thier mirrors and pull out the wippers. I have even once let the air out of a tire. I will most always leave a note thanking them for parking so close and perhaps next time leave a F***ING can opener. if they leave the window cracked I'll take all my trail trash (sticky bar rappers etc) and carfully slip it into the window. You can even go as far as smearing chain lube on the passenger side mirror to give it that clody look that bugs the hell out of ya when you try to look into it.
And I thought I was bad. 4 days left until we ride.

TJ

·
Registered
218 Posts
TJ. said:

Oh man TJ you'd flip if you lived on the East Coast. If we parked at a trail head in CO and some hippie tried to cram into your door jam to park, a simple "dude" with a glare would result in "Oh dude sorry I'll move" now out here the same would get you shot by a over stressed yuppie who had a bad day because he missed the memo about his wife being passed around at the company bbq when he was conveniently sent on a buisness trip by his boss. The sad thing is the East seems to have a huge cloud of stress hanging over it all the time. The parking situation in the above mentioned thread is just a reaction to the cloud. If it's true what they say about a few bad apples then the mid atlantic has a lot of diseased apple trees.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Been riding East a long time.....

Never had a single bad episode like this, or any. If a guy at any time parked too close, it went unremembered. It seems some people are more sensitive to others behaviors than others. Ride on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
[ It seems some people are more sensitive to others behaviors than others. Ride on.[/QUOTE]
This is what that nasty cloud does, causes oversensitivity. I have been affected by to many times. Only in post incident have I thought 'damn I let that get to me'.

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
491 Posts
It's a parking lot.

That's what people do there. Park their cars.

If you're worried about your truck, maybe you should consider parking a quarter mile away.
Or try riding to the trailhead.

·
MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer
632 Posts
last night.

C.Savage said:
TJ. said:

Oh man TJ you'd flip if you lived on the East Coast. If we parked at a trail head in CO and some hippie tried to cram into your door jam to park, a simple "dude" with a glare would result in "Oh dude sorry I'll move" now out here the same would get you shot by a over stressed yuppie who had a bad day because he missed the memo about his wife being passed around at the company bbq when he was conveniently sent on a buisness trip by his boss. The sad thing is the East seems to have a huge cloud of stress hanging over it all the time. The parking situation in the above mentioned thread is just a reaction to the cloud. If it's true what they say about a few bad apples then the mid atlantic has a lot of diseased apple trees.
I would have to say to encounter those problems here is a strange coincidence. But when you do see people doing stupid shite it is usually a license plate from Texas, or Mass hole a chusets. Personaly I just observe and wait until they get hurt doing some stupid shite. They are usually wannabe trials riders bouncing on a rock in the parking lot and falling over and hand planting in the parking lot to break their wrist. Remember....TX and MA. are places to be from...Not going to. Check this out.

www.jibjab.com

P.S. Texans still kick as s

TJ
www.gvii.net/hundtoft

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I like the quote under your posts. One thing though. With the italics and the exclamation point it appears that it would be said with excitement. Yoda wasn't speaking that way. I'm just kidding really.
Some people have off days of non-thinking. I get really ripped when someone just sits at a light and it turns green and they don't go and it goes back to red. Well I did that the other day and I felt like such an A-Hole. I know what you mean some people don't seam to give a sh!t about others. But maybe they do and had a short lapse of stupidness.

·
Registered
248 Posts
the easy way to avoid this problem? park smack in the middle of the space. if you can tell that two cars can't fit, don't give some knucklehead the option to squeeze in.

also, you probably could have told the dude to hold on a sec, that the other dude was leaving. i know if i was driving a beater, i'd have gone for the space also.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Burpee said:
That's what people do there. Park their cars.

If you're worried about your truck, maybe you should consider parking a quarter mile away.
Or try riding to the trailhead.
I wouldn't have cared myself, but there was literally only 2 or 3 inches on both sides of this dude's car after he cramed in there. As I told the guy, just cause you CAN do something DOESN'T mean you should.

If the lot was full when I got there, I would've gone to the other lot rather then block access to some else's ride. My point is that some people don't seem to either A) Use that grey matter in their skulls for what it was intended for or B) Don't care.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sounds like that guy either wasn't too cool or bright, but not the worst I've seen. I worked as an F.D.N.Y. Paramedic for 11 yrs. and encountered this every day...
Big red truck, official plates, KEEP BACK 200 FEET, and people would still park on the rear bumper when I would return with my patient that I carried down 5 flights of stairs...
Since you can't write tickets or bust windows with a Hallogan bar you did the next best thing...
Take a deep breath and keep riding, after all we are all just Monkeys with car keys. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.