Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know we are all just supposed to get along.....but for the love of...

Riding Penasquitos since the days of Cantina Bike Shop and the Yeti Bomb Squad, I have yet to witness the amount of complete idiocracy displayed by all walks as did I this very day.

I will leave out the less interesting/standard stories that we hear weekly (ie groups of trail runners running abreast literally taking up the entire fire road....etc etc)

So...after riding a grand total of 3 miles with no interruptions, I find myself rapidly approaching a group of what appears to be 3 on horseback....given the massive piles of horse crap that I was forced to dodge and evade, I assumed they were on horseback up ahead.

As I approached I realized that yes, they were on horseback...although I have never seen healthy horses move this slowly. 4 riders to be exact. I boy about 7 years of age, 2 girls early teens maybe and what appeared to be a 50-ish year old father. THEY WERE RIDING SIDE BY SIDE AS IF THEY HAD BEEN PRESENTED WITH A CHALLENGE TO SEE IF THEY COULD SUCCESSFULLY, AS A TEAM, TAKE UP THE ENTIRE FIRE ROAD. GUESS WHAT....SUCCESS!!!! What I am supposed to respectfully do next sounds simple right? Just announce my presence and allow them a few seconds to move over and allow me to pass right?

Apparently not. After doing my best to whistle (a polite way of whistling..loud, but not aggressive) starting from no less than 100 yards away and then at 90..then 80...then 70...then 60... I think you get the picture. For whatever reason, it was not until I was within 10 yards and I was forced to hit the brakes and skid a couple of inches, did they realize that I was even there. They felt it completely appropriate to ride side by side.....as if to say "Really...we did not anticipate that someone on a bike might actually use this trail too...golly"

The next series of events is what is most entertaining/frustrating. You have to understand that I am at a complete stop and waiting for the horses to clear a SAFE path for me to get by. At this point, I have been stopped for maybe 15 seconds...

The two girls begin yell at the father who is up in front, in an attempt to inform him that YES there actually was a biker waiting to pass. For whatever reason, he seeed to be either deaf or completely ignoring them. After closer inspection I realize that YEP he is completely ignoring them as HE IS JABBERING AWAY ON HIS CELL PHONE TO ONE OF HIS BUDDIES....WHILE ON HORSEBACK.....

The girls continue to mosey along right smack dab in the middle of the fire road while I patiently wait at a complete stand still. At this point...30 seconds at a complete stop. The young boy who might have been all of 7 year old began to clearly have issues with his horse. It began to buck and kick unpredictably and run side to side across the trail in front of me. The two girls' horses starting acting up also. I am pretty darn sure that I would have been kicked in the head, had I attempted to pass.:madmax:

Meanwhile THE DAD CONTINUES HIS CONVERSATION ON HIS CELL PHONE while riding in the middle of the fire road. We are now close to a complete minute of waiting for this fiasco to stop.

Finally, for whatever reason, the dad peers over his shoulder. I am assuming he is checking on the general well being of his childen...who really are not fairing well... Someone is about to get injured...clearly.

DOES DAD STOP HIS FUN FILLED CONVERSATION ON THE PHONE? Nope, he just moseys off to the side of the trail allowing me to finally pass. The children continued to have issues, but were far enough away from me to cause any bodily harm. As I passed, the Dad continued to jabber away and actually had the nerve to nod and grin at me as if to say "Have a great one!!":thumbsup: Oh how ignorance must be true bliss!!

No more than 15 minutes later, I came around a blind corner and nearly went over the bars into what appeared to be a fire road hippy convention of sorts. All I could make out were figures of people sitting indian style in the middle of the fire road....wow...like 30 or more?? When my rear wheel finally returned to terra firma, I was able to analyze the situation a bit more. Boy Scouts. Boy Scout leaders(Adults). Back packs. Apparently someone told them it was totally acceptable/normal to have a pow wow that spans the entire width of the fire road. What was even more odd was the fact that there were no rocks to sit on. No shade. Just dirt. Yet, they seemed completely content with it all. OK..they are kids. There were plenty of adults with them that could have shown some common sense/leadership and directed them up out of the dirt and to the side of the trail....nah.

Anyone else annoyed by all of this? I now have to ride Penasquitos at night to avoid this crap. Actually there is still crap...lots of crap at night....literally...

I don't like how crowded our freeways have become.... I don't like this either. Rant over. And no, I am not moving from my home town.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Um, don't ride popular trails on nice sunny weekends? FYI, they aren't your personal race trails, they're open to everyone, even those who don't have their panties as tightly bunched as you. Seriously, DUDE, if you need a good surgeon to pull those things back out, you might want to reconsider your caffeine intake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have avoided weekends there since the first time. It gets crowded, and will be even more crowded now that some trail options are closed . (ahem... Tunnels) Forces everyone to a smaller area.....

Early morning during the week is best, I found. Especially now that the day is shorter.

Added: Going East from Canyonside I see less traffic also.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I rode there today and didn't have any issues like you, but I also have a bell on my bike. I will ring the hell out of my bell to get people to notice that I am coming at them quick. I ring my bell before blind turns too, that way if someone is around the corner, they will hear me. I think the best thing for you is to get a bell. If they don't hear you, keep ringing it until they do. It works! I enjoyed my ride quite a bit. I didn't like the construction that is going on on the north side, on the hills.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
abzillah said:
I rode there today and didn't have any issues like you, but I also have a bell on my bike. I will ring the hell out of my bell to get people to notice that I am coming at them quick. I ring my bell before blind turns too, that way if someone is around the corner, they will hear me. I think the best thing for you is to get a bell. If they don't hear you, keep ringing it until they do. It works! I enjoyed my ride quite a bit. I didn't like the construction that is going on on the north side, on the hills.
Thank you. I have been telling people for years to get a bell. Many people laugh at me but after a head on collision around a blind corner put me in the ER I got one. I can't tell you how many possible collisions I have avoided because of it. Horses and hikers all react positively to it many of them thanking me for having it and it does not startle people like yelling out does. I like PQ on the weekends. Lots of eye candy runner chicks and the newbs on kmart bikes are always good for a laugh.

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
rydbyk said:
Anyone else annoyed by all of this?
So other trail users held you up for what? a total of 1 minute and 15 seconds? You're pissed off at boy scouts and a man with his kids on horseback that nodded at you as if to say have a nice day?

·
Nothing to see here
892 Posts
Yes, some dolts, perhaps. But come on, PQ Canyon is a crappy place to ride. Good for kids on bikes to go to the waterfall, or light family hike, or a jog. A serious mountain bike ride? I think not. Can you spell L-A-M-E?

I rode in PQ yesterday; Black Mtn, Miner's Ridge, other rocky singletrack, wide open climbs in Santa Luz area, etc. PQ Canyon is for noobs.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Huh?

:confused: I don't recall stating that I viewed Penasquitos as a world class riding location. Lots of riders do train out at Penasquitos because it is so convenient...many of which I see at the events. I don't have all day everyday to hit the better trails, so yeh, I do go there to train occasionally....as I have for nearly 2 decades rarely seeing anyone on horseback...and in many cases on bicycle.

Weekends have progressively gotten worse in regards to crowds. Today was by far the worst. I don't plan on attempting this feat again...

I did not say there should not be horses or boyscouts out on the trail....just some show some common sense AND respect as I did. At the very least, the adults might offer up some guidance for the youngsters and recommend that they don't sit in the middle of a heavily used trail.

Guy on cell phone riding a horse that just crapped a manure size dirt jump....come on!!

I will use common sense and either get a bell....I can't believe it has come to this (do they make them in carbon or ti??;) )OR just not ride there on weekends any longer.

YES. This is frustrating for someone who grew up riding on that trail. :skep:

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dft said:
yep, no sympathy here. PQ is LAME. as others have said, chilly dude.
you are just DH right? the guy who basically only rides your bike outside of SD because "ALL trails in SD are snoozers". i ask simply because i doubt you would have any sincere interest in PQ. if you had reckless horsemen on cell phones and people camping out in the middle of your DH runs, you might be able to sympathize....maybe.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
mealsonwheels said:
Dude you need to get out more if you are settling for LPQ fireroads on the weekend.
I had 1 hr. and 56 min. to ride. Do you know of some epic trails near PQ that I might be misssing? Silly. Thank goodness that most of my rides are on weekdays/nights, but thanks for the tip doood.

·
Registered
701 Posts
rydbyk said:
I had 1 hr. and 56 min. to ride. Do you know of some epic trails near PQ that I might be misssing? Silly. Thank goodness that most of my rides are on weekdays/nights, but thanks for the tip doood.
I would not call it epic, but Black Mountain stands out as an option without horse crap, and I find it more enjoyable than PQ.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Hey, if you encounter Boy/Cub Scouts doing something you think is silly or whatnot, do two things: approach one of the adults and let them know. For example, you could let them know that "The Rules of The Trail" include "not blocking it".

The second thing you should do is to note the Pack/Troop number on their shoulder, if they're in uniform. Or, if you chat, ask for it.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Driving for an hour to get to a decent trail is lame. Riding out your front door and hitting some decent singletrack = not lame. Ofcourse now that the mesa is gone and the tunnels are closed I would same the lame status is probably deserved. I agree though the guy on the horse with the phone woulda chapped my butt too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It sounds like these series of events took up 3 minutes of your ride. Do you lay on your horn when there is traffic on the freeway? I remember all the stupid things I use to do on the trail before I learned the rules of the road.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.