Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the last Pemberton Night Ride for this year. This is a great social ride and a good beginner night ride. Make sure that you sign in and out with the park so they know how many participated and that everyone made it back.

Ride details:

Mountain Bike by the Moon Light
McDowell Mountain Regional Park
The summer night time mountain bike series is set to begin again this month. The award winning Mountain Bike by the Moon Light is a night time ride on the Pemberton Trail (15.4 miles). This summer night riding series is made possible by the series sponsor My Jem, Inc. owned by Kristi Kon. The Pemberton Trail is not very technical; however, night riding will make it more difficult. Helmets and lights will be mandatory on this ride. Only lights designed for use with mountain bikes with at least a 3 hour power source are acceptable. All riders must sign in and out at the trailhead as they start and finish their ride. Everyone needs to be off the trail by 9:30 PM. This is not a guided ride. Volunteers will sweep the course to ensure all riders return safely. For more information call 480-471-0173.
Date: 9/13/2008
Time: 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Registration Required: No
Fee: $6.00 per vehicle to enter the park
Location: McDowell Mountain Regional Park - Trailhead Staging Area
Address:
16,300 N. McDowell Mountain Park Drive
Fountain Hills, AZ

·
Black and Sticky
771 Posts
Thanks Alan for the heads up

I'll be there again. Last time I developed mechanical problems just before Tonto Tank. From there to finish I played mind games with myself trying to figure out why rear suspension was acting like a pogo stick. And then there was the lightening. Also had to rush home after I finished and didn't get to see what they had at the Giant thing. This time should be no worries though. Wish this continued thru the fall. Way too much fun. Will Giant be there again?

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll be there also. I too wish this went through the fall (legally);)

Don't forget trail maintenance at McDowell on the 27th.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pre-ride Dixie Mine loop

Anyone interested in joining me for my typical pre-Pemberton night ride ritual up Dixie Mine, Coachwhip, Windgate, Bell Pass, Prospector and back? I will be leaving the Pemberton TH at 5 pm or earlier, refuel and then head out for the night ride.

·
Orange Yeti 575
115 Posts
Alan, are you going to descend on the west side of Windgate and climb back up the west side of Bell--or come back down Windgate a bit to climb Bell from the east?

Also does anyone have thoughts on how little light is needed to do Pemberton in the dark? I've not done any night riding and don't have a point of reference. I've seen the MiNewt Mini-USB helmet light for about $100 which has about 110 lumens. I'm wondering if I could get away with just that or if I need 200 lumens or more. Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks.

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Dan_AZ said:
Alan, are you going to descend on the west side of Windgate and climb back up the west side of Bell--or come back down Windgate a bit to climb Bell from the east?

Also does anyone have thoughts on how little light is needed to do Pemberton in the dark? I've not done any night riding and don't have a point of reference. I've seen the MiNewt Mini-USB helmet light for about $100 which has about 110 lumens. I'm wondering if I could get away with just that or if I need 200 lumens or more. Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks.
the pemperton night ride is usually scheduled around a full moon. I think you can get away with a pretty low level light.
I was just looking for my lights to charge up for this weekend and cannot find them.....this is a problem!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be staying on the east side of the McDowells (see attached map). I typically head out on Pemberton to DM and turn right at Coachwhip to the bottom of where Bell Pass and Windgate meet. I then go southwest on Bell to Prospector (abuot 1/2 mile from the saddle) and head down prospector to the service road and back onto Dixie Mine/Pemberton and to the TH. It is about 16 miles.

The park does require lights in the ride description but honestly, with the full moon and 100+ other riders out there you do not need much. Not sure when the moon rises that night or how much light there will be from it. There may be some cloud cover. The MiNewt would be just fine IMO.

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
AZ_AlanS said:
Anyone interested in joining me for my typical pre-Pemberton night ride ritual up Dixie Mine, Coachwhip, Windgate, Bell Pass, Prospector and back? I will be leaving the Pemberton TH at 5 pm or earlier, refuel and then head out for the night ride.
I planned on heading up early also and riding Dixie Mine, then latter for the night lap but won't be there till about 5:30. I'm getting over an injury so I'll be slow and riding my geared bike, just say hi when you pass by.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Moonrise is at 5:42 PM. Sunset is at 6:36 PM but it won't be truly dark until 8:00 PM (astronomical twilight dusk.) The moon should be about 15 or so degrees at about that time so there will be plenty of light.

There is your random bit o' information for the day.

See you all there.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.