Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the test dummy
Joined
·
3,487 Posts
boomn said:
you can die of brain trauma from just standing in place and falling over. It doesn't take much
true good point, i was kinda thinking people survive getting hit by cars. so i was kinda surprised he died getting hit by a bike, thats all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
insanitylevel9 said:
true good point, i was kinda thinking people survive getting hit by cars. so i was kinda surprised he died getting hit by a bike, thats all.
I certainly agree. Heck, there even been skydivers who lived after a parachute failure and that one stewardess who fell without anything and lived. Humans can be surprisingly sturdy and yet surprisingly fragile
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,126 Posts
alexrex20 said:
sued? he faces criminal charges for negligence.
There could well be a lawsuit by the victims' family as well. If there is a negligence conviction, a lawsuit is a very likely slam dunk.

There's not a lot of detail in the article, but I noted a few things:

- There were two people on the bike that hit him, with one sitting on the handlebars. That is illegal in a lot of places, and just not a real good idea in any case.

- It was late at night, and the bike was on the sidewalk. I'm just guessing, but wonder if the folks on the bike had been drinking?
 

·
~Disc~Golf~
Joined
·
16,496 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
There could well be a lawsuit by the victims' family as well. If there is a negligence conviction, a lawsuit is a very likely slam dunk.

There's not a lot of detail in the article, but I noted a few things:

- There were two people on the bike that hit him, with one sitting on the handlebars. That is illegal in a lot of places, and just not a real good idea in any case.

- It was late at night, and the bike was on the sidewalk. I'm just guessing, but wonder if the folks on the bike had been drinking?
or they were kids
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
One of the reasons riding bikes on the sidewalk back where I grew up is illegal was a relative of mine, a generation or two earlier, was killed by bicycle.
 

·
Underskilled
Joined
·
4,747 Posts
Maybe the pedestrian dived in the way to get the cyclist?

I get some crazies doing that to me sometimes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
To get back to one of the original questions for a second...it depends on your homeowner's policy. You can buy an umbrella policy (liability) that would cover things like this, or someone getting hurt or killed at your home and suing you for more than your homeowner's policy covers (i.e. a lawsuit that "cracks" the limit on your homeowners). An umbrella policy usually runs about $100/year. If you have any assets at all or would prefer not to file bankruptcy if something like this happened it is worth having. Now, with that said, most policies would specifically exclude an event that happened while committing a crime. If a criminal court finds this person was committing a crime (i.e. riding on the sidewalk illegally) the insurance co. might fight the claim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
There could well be a lawsuit by the victims' family as well. If there is a negligence conviction, a lawsuit is a very likely slam dunk.

There's not a lot of detail in the article, but I noted a few things:

- There were two people on the bike that hit him, with one sitting on the handlebars. That is illegal in a lot of places, and just not a real good idea in any case.

- It was late at night, and the bike was on the sidewalk. I'm just guessing, but wonder if the folks on the bike had been drinking?
Yeah, you'd see a criminal charge for manslaughter and a civil suit from the family for negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, etc etc.

As my constitutional law professor once said: Sue everyone for everything. If there wasn't a bike lane I bet the CITY gets sued for not having one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
I find it really sad that when a story comes up that a car kills a biker or pedestrian, everyone is up in arms....jail time, etc. But when a biker kills a pedestrian, jokes all around, and talking about insurance covering you ass...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
gearwhine said:
. But when a biker kills a pedestrian, jokes all around, and talking about insurance covering you ass...
Funny, I see only 2 posts that could possibly be considered jokes and a bunch of others talking about punishment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
dir-T said:
Funny, I see only 2 posts that could possibly be considered jokes and a bunch of others talking about punishment.
I see 3...but that doesn't matter. I think 2 is plenty to think it's already absurd. Imagine if a driver hit a biker and the car forums said what is being said here...I can see it being reposted on every freaking bike forum....with the smily that's mad and on fire all over the place just to prove how mad everyone really is.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top