Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a good set of clip pedals. ive got some some a frames right now, looking at possibly the mallets or...? whats decent? for downhill. mostly for summer on shuttle runs. thanks

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Mallets are nice. I like CB pedals in general, and have been happy with my Mallets. Are you already running a cerain brand clipless system on a different bike? If you are, I'd just recommend sticking with that. Otherwise the Mallets are a good choice.

One thing: don't ever buy the stock cleast for the Mallets. Get the Premium ones. They're only a couple bucks more, and last 3-6X longer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
currently running just platforms, want to try out some clipless. so sounds like the mallets are a good pedal. whats the diff between the C and M versions? i cant find anything on that? and also a good shoe to run with clipless...?

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
C is the aluminum bodied version and M is the magnesium bodied version. The mag ones are lighter.

They seem alright. I tried them for a while and didn't have any problems but a lot of people say that they're prone to popping out when you hit a rock with the bottom and the cleats wear out and it becomes really easy to release.

They also don't have any kind of tension adjustment.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so would a pedal like shimano 545's be a better pedal b/c of tension adjustments? the ones ive seen (545's) seem like a ***** to get clipped into. esp when say you have mud or any kinda **** on the clips or pedal

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I think I've hit the pedal in such a way that they unclipped once. Maybe even twice. :D I havn't had any issues with that at all. Maybe if you smack your pedals a lot they aren't the best, but it takes just the right strike to make them pop. You have to come down right onto the top of a rock. Most pedal strikes don't disengage them.

Mud shedding is a big selling point for me. CB pedals rock in this regard.

It's true that the Mallets don't have a tension adjust, but they don't need it. With Shimanos, either they're set so loose that you can pull out of them, or it becomes a little tricky to engage the pedal. I've never pulled out of any of my CB pedals, and they're the easiest pedal to get into that I've ever used. Mallets are a little harder than the regular Eggbeaters, but they're still very easy entry/ exit.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
I have Mallets and I love them, however I have seen a lot of the Shimanos at the mountain. Guys swear by them as well.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
I destroyed a brand new set of Mallet C's in less than two months where the Shimano 646's and Time Z's have each gone 6+ months each in the same conditions with zero issues. The things that went wrong with the mallets: spindle, spring, casing, cleats, clips, bashplates. I will never ever use anything Crank Bros again. Absolutely horrible design. I didn't even mention how they almost got me killed a couple times by clipping out over rocks or unclipping me by pulling straight up on the pedal after minimal cleat wear.

Been rocking the Time Z's for a while and the only complaint I have is the cleats are brass which means they wear kinda quick (but stay functional unlike that of the Mallets). I still have a set of the 646's sitting around as backup, which were also completely solid.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
ScottJensen said:
so would a pedal like shimano 545's be a better pedal b/c of tension adjustments? the ones ive seen (545's) seem like a ***** to get clipped into. esp when say you have mud or any kinda **** on the clips or pedal
Thats the kind I run. The ones you have seen must have had the tensioner set pretty tight, because mine are real easy to get into. Even easier than my XC pedals. I haven't spent much time in the mud, but I ride in lots of dust so I have gotten into habit of banging the side of my foot on the side of the pedal to get rid of some crap in there

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
mtb_biker said:
545's are the older models. The newer ones (647's) are redesigned, shed mud a lot better and they have tension adjustment which work quite nicely.
Its not a newer model, its just a different model. The main difference being a metal cage as opposed to a resin one, and an older style clip, as opposed to a mud shedding design. The metal cage of the 545 is really nice because it doesn't get as chewed up in rocky places. Also, if you ride in really hot places (105+), the resin get very soft and pliable and the end cap will pop off and bearings and such will supposedly come out

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
If Im clippin in - Shimano. Not that others are bad, but IMO (Unless mud clearance is a huge issue) are all preference or some irrelevant motive (EG - Anti-Shimano)

Does anyone know what SPD means?

Like so many things in the world, and this sport, they're mostly just different parts - not better or worse - different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.