Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!!

I'm currently running Shimmy's PD-M424 pedals but after a muddy ride I'm considering something that would allow releasing my feet with ease even under the worst conditions.

I run my pedals with tension fully loose and as I said primary requirement is easy engagement/disengagement under all conditions. Platform is another requirement (I have soft soled shoes - Shimano 058's)

Price is a concern, weight is not.

Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Choices

I am sure if you searched around the threads you will find that for mud clearing the most popular choices seem to be:

1. Shimano 959
2. Time ATAC
3. Eggbeaters

None of those choices are "cheap". I know a mtb racer who has been racing for years on the Xpedo pedals and loves them. Price is right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nothing disengages easier than simple non click in type platform pedals. If you don't need the power transfer from the lift that clipless provides then pinned platform pedals work great and let you ride right to the edge and then "disengage" by merely lifting your foot off.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
if you like shaimano spd, get the 520, 540 or 959. They all work great. I like the 540s because they are just as good as the 959 and don't cost as much. I have a pair of 520s on my hardtail, can't tell the difference. I think it comes down to weight and price. I have mallet c and eggbeater, but I fall too much with them.

·
Don't touch me!
840 Posts
I don't know if you'd be interested in Time pedals, specifically the ATAC Z Controls, but you can get the machined surface ones for $85-90(US) with a tiny bit of searching. I've seen them as low as $80.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Hi folks!!

I'm currently running Shimmy's PD-M424 pedals but after a muddy ride I'm considering something that would allow releasing my feet with ease even under the worst conditions.

I run my pedals with tension fully loose and as I said primary requirement is easy engagement/disengagement under all conditions. Platform is another requirement (I have soft soled shoes - Shimano 058's)

Price is a concern, weight is not.

Thanks for any help!!
Speedplay Frog pedals are the easiest of all the clipless to disengage from. It only takes a twist of the foot. There is no spring tension to overcome. The only issue with the Frogs are engagement in mud. They're not the best, there.

I Have Frogs on 2 bikes and wouldn't trade them for any other.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If you want clipless with platform your choices are pretty limited. Mallet, Shimano 647 and the Time Z's( not sure if that the model). Are about the only choices. They feature the best engagement mechanism of their respective brands with the addition of a platform.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
only thing about the platform is that they do not act like a platform when unclipped, you roll on the beater and sometimes rengage the cleat.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Geist262 said:
only thing about the platform is that they do not act like a platform when unclipped, you roll on the beater and sometimes rengage the cleat.
I totally agree. The platform on those pedals is pretty useless as a platform. The retention mechanism won't allow for any really sucure grip while unclipped on any kind of shoe. Its good for mostly very aggressive riding in which the cage can protect the pedal or allow for quick surface to get some footing fast if forced to unclip. For everthing else it just makes clipping in more difficult.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Folks!!

You're responses really guided me. I did a search on the forums but it gets so confusing that I rather posted.

I'm leaning over the 520's, 647's (same mech that 520, 540 and 959 but with a platform) and the Times Z.

Particularly interested about the Times because of their reputation for overall-all-conditions performance.

Now if somebody could compare ease of release between fully loose Shimanos and Times... that would make my choice.

Thanks again, this was helpful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.