Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Platforms, it's the simplest bicycle I have. Everyone should have at least one bicycle that they don't change shoes and put on lycra pants for. Also, although I don't feel as in control as I do with SPD pedals, DH and BMX riders have been on flats for years doing incredibly technical riding - why shouldn't I learn to utilize flats for technical riding as well?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
For me, clipless really helps climbing, especially the long, steep, technical stuff. For relatively flat, swoopy singletrack, it doesn't matter either way.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
SPDs. I recently forgot my shoes and did a 14 mile ride (1400 vertical feet or so) in tennis shoes. I ride down to the beach in sandals on them as well. I don't care if someone wants to use platforms, I just don't see a reason to.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Platforms: Syncros Mental Stainless, Atomlab Pimp Lite & Trailking (2010 models are better without the DU bushings), Sunline V-One, Easton Flatboy. Can jump on and go, any shoe, but I haven't and won't wear my handmade leather Allen Edmonds on the platforms, it'll tear up the leather sole! And any soft compound soled shoe will get torn up by platforms as well, think Asics Tiger or similar.

On the roadie, going with clipless. Need at least one bike with clipless ;-)

·
Registered
82 Posts
rojogonzo said:
From the riv article: "They work great with our Sneaker pedals, and on any ride that didn't involve dragging the bike up steep, loose trails (hiking with it), they're perfect."

It's not like Grant/Rivendell doesn't have their own axe to grind: they're selling something too.

For any mtb ride I do, there's heck of a lot less dragging the bike when clipped in than when on flats. I'm old enough to have ridden pre-clipless days, with and without toeclips, and I'm as much a retro-grouch as the next guy but this is one thing where cycling has been seriously improved on. Sure, the townie has flats, but nothing else 'cause I'd rather be riding than pushing or dragging. And from the "racer or racer-like" perspective, I can't remember the last time I was beat in a race by someone using flats, and I ain't fast.

The opinion was considered and found wanting.

And the argument that SS is simple so you should use flats its just silly -- cotterless cranks are less complicated than those mated to sealed bottom brackets or external bearings, so you better use them too. Ever try and take apart a freehub? There's simpler ways to deal with the rear sprocket, but it doesn't mean it's better.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Transitioning to Shimano XTR's, also have a bunch of Times. I have to be locked into my pedals for mountain biking or I would probably fall right off of my bike. The Time's tend to creak when dirty, and the bearings develop slop. The Shimanos click when you pull up on the pedal stroke. Pick your poison. Yes, I absolutely do pull up on the pedal stroke. I also use them for cheater-bunny-hops since I am not coordinated enough to do a real one.

·
the flerg
80 Posts
SS riding means standing up most of the time. I've been using eggbeater Ti's for a few years and had to get carbon sole shoes because the pedals were eating into the sole of the shoe and causing pain points. Then I had to get the shoe shield SS from CB because the problem continued. Both pair of eggbeater Ti's have broken but CB's warranty is easy to get them fixed. Maybe a small platform like Candy's would be better. Straight on Platforms? No way.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.