Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys recommend for pedals for a 20" trek mt60?

Never thought about it till now as I finally get back into upgrading my sons mt60. He has some cheap aluminum welgos I had laying around that were brand new. But their big and heavy. Standard steel axle for them etc. Not looking to spend $100 but something that's lighter and a bit more suited for kids feet.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
Plastic/poly BMX pedals. Good pricing, come in lots of colors, work great, don't hurt as much when they whack you in the shin. Unless you guys riding in a lot of wet and muddy conditions, they're the way to go.

Bmx Platform Pedals at Danscomp

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found some welgo kc001 aluminum pedals. Judging size based off spindle size, looks to be a very small platform. I saw some origin 8 pedals a while back that I thought would be cool to have till I saw in lbs, too small for me (or most adults) so used for size reference. And they come in red.

Anyone try the welgo kc001 pedals by chance, see it platform size is what im thinking it is?

·
ilmfat
1,078 Posts

·
ilmfat
1,078 Posts
after looking at those wellgo's, i like em.

unless the 100 grams matter, id go wellgo.

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AESTs look nice, but pedals that pricey Ill wait till its time to get him to a 24"= racing age about that time. Then I can go all weight weenie, best I can possibly afford parts. I really liek those AESTs though :p Wife will say no :(

Wellgos for 30 it probably is then, still lighter and cooler than what hes got. Freaking kid is going to have a more blinged bike than me hehe.

·
ilmfat
1,078 Posts
actually, until i bought my wheels from mikesee, these WERE the most blinged out bikes ive EVER built.

IMG_1083.JPG

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice, awesome bikes. Thankfully my son isn't about that much bling

·
ilmfat
1,078 Posts
The sad thing is, my kids could care less.

I had half the parts ordered and found out their favorite colors had changed.

I think they look super dope, but my girls just wanted "lots of stickers" on em.

But at least now I have a pool of bling I can steal from.

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gotta lovethe whole favorite color changes without warning. I had to tell my boy he cant change his mind now not colors, already bought all the stuff,lol. hes cool with it though.

·
ilmfat
1,078 Posts
luckily, my kids got my wife's simple taste instead of my lust for flashiness.

it was pretty funny tho, cause my (normally bling hating) wife thinks the girls bikes are super cute.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised people would run that aggressive of a pedal on kids' bikes. (Looking at those AESTs) Those things do not look fun at all to take a shin-scraping (or worse) from. You own stock in Johnson & Johnson? ;)

Seriously though, do the kids run pads or anything along with them? Have you ever seen what one can do to flesh? I'm not some wildly overprotective dad by any means, but I wouldn't feel safe putting my 9 y/o on a set of pinned pedals with any more than a couple millimeters of protrusion and body without sharp edges, and he can jump a car. Having taken a few people for stitches from pedal whacks in the past, I can tell ya it's a crappy way to end the day, and is rumored to hurt. For a young kid, something like that might be enough to discourage them about riding in general for awhile. Not to mention give them some nice scars.

Not that it's any of my business what anybody puts on their bikes, but it's just one of those things that when I see it, I cringe a little. Learning to ride bikes involves crashing, specially off pavement. It's inevitable; that's how we learn. No need to throw a couple meat tenderizers into the equation. Performance wise, I can't believe any kid that's not racing DH or competing in trials would really need a set of pedals with that much bite. I regularly watch people throwing backflips and flairs and such on nothing more than the plastic ones. The trails most young kids will be riding aren't going to be anything where it's worth adding the risks of pedals like that IMHO. You'll get plenty of grip from something a little less...sharp.

Sorry to ramble, just hate seeing kids get dinged up unnecessarily. :)

·
ilmfat
1,078 Posts
The corners are fairly rounded. The pins (on hers) are the "blunt" ones, so it's not as bad.

My 5 year old wears full pads on the trail.

My 3 year old likes full pads all the time (she learned to ride 2 weeks ago).

Big sis plays soccer so she's used to it. That, and she's rail thin, so even in the height of summer she wears jeans. She's whacked her shins a cpl times, but no blood or scars.

They're light and pretty. What more could you want?

Even the plastic ones rough you up if you hit em hard enough. I got the scars to prove it.

But I def see your point and if it ever becomes an issue I won't hesitate to get them different pedals. Having my kids ride their bikes is def more important than bling, weight, or anything else, really.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
Even the plastic ones rough you up if you hit em hard enough. I got the scars to prove it.
I hear ya; exactly why the screw ends make me nervous. I've seen some nasty gashes from them, and not always on the shin. Just cuz it hasn't happened yet isn't a good indicator that it won't. High potential price for bling IMO, but again, that's just me. Pads'll help though, and are definitely a great idea in general IME. I can't count how many times my kid's full face helmet and pads paid off when he was starting out.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
A few years ago, my son saw Tioga Spider web pedals and had to have em. I put them on his bike with the blunt traction pins. After he got whacked in the back of the leg a few times, he asked me to take them off. I put his plastic pedals back on.
After a few rides, he realized the plastic pedals sucked so he went back to the Tiogas. They're going on his third bike now.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,745 Posts
Basic Plastic BMX pedals are great

One of my kids' bikes came with really small pedals. After checking out all of the "nicer" options, I realized that having aggressive metal pedals for kids that crash a lot aren't so great. The plastic BMX pedals that come on Specialized Hotrock bikes are great. The bearings on these Wellgo pedals are decent and they provide a good sized platform without an aggressive cage that can cause damage.

Eleven81 Resin BMX Bike Pedals - LU-984 (1/2): Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com
Amazon.com: Eleven81 Resin BMX Bike Pedals - LU-984: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of something like this

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya there is no way I would do threaded stud pedals, those things hurt lol. Have them on my bike and not fun on bare shins, but the grip makes it worth the occasional battle scar. I'll only buy the rounded stub type studs. I just know the difference in grip from studded vs plastic, water on the plastic at all become real slick. Studded never matters what gets on the pedals, shoes stay. And son has complained about bumps and such knocking his feet off the pedals too easy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts