Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a silly question but here goes...I'm anxiously awaiting my new RFX and have everything speced out except for the pedals. I've always ridden Shimano 959 or the like and never used platform-type pedals. IAdditionally, I've always been on an XC bike. I've noticed that most people seem to ride either straight platforms or clip/platform combos on their "bigger hit" bikes. This got me thinking, is there any reason *not* to run non-platform type pedals on a bike like the RFX?

Just wondering.

Jim

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
JimboCO said:
This may be a silly question but here goes...I'm anxiously awaiting my new RFX and have everything speced out except for the pedals. I've always ridden Shimano 959 or the like and never used platform-type pedals. IAdditionally, I've always been on an XC bike. I've noticed that most people seem to ride either straight platforms or clip/platform combos on their "bigger hit" bikes. This got me thinking, is there any reason *not* to run non-platform type pedals on a bike like the RFX?

Just wondering.

Jim
If you are using XC type shoes with hard soles & don't plan on un-clipping on tech sections, you can run what you have (959's), as your shoes will be stiff enough to support your feet. If you plan on running skate type shoes (661's, shimano DX, etc..) with a softer sole, you will want to run a clip peddle with a platform, such as the 646's mentioned, or Crank Bros Mallets, as they give you better stability for those types of shoes, plus you can ride sections unclipped if need be. I run the Shimano DX shoes (SH-MP66) with the Mallets on my freeride & DH rigs, Shimano M180's & Candy's on my XC bike.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Stu

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
JimboCO said:
What are your thoughts on using hard sole shoes with the 646/647s?
That's fine, engagement will be the same as a non-platform pedal. Just that with hard soles you won't benefit from having the platform, as the shoes will not sit flat, like the softer soles. Flat soles on platforms just give that good, firm grip feel when in really fast, technical situations, kinda like flats, only your feet don't bounce around like with flat pedals. (510's exluded :thumbsup: )

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Hey Jimbo, I run the 959's and 646's on my bikes and I wear Sidis for the XC bike and Shimano trail shoes on the RFX, I have worn the Sidi's on the RFX but they certainly do not feel as secure as the shimano trail shoes, but would work for a standard ride.

The 646 and rubber sole trail shoes are just gonna give your feet more protection in the rocks and more stability in the technical stuff compared to an XC setup, but if your gonna do a standard trail ride on the RFX with a lot of climbing and non technical descending the 959/XC shoe will work fine, I've run them on my RFX before.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rroeder said:
Hey Jimbo, I run the 959's and 646's on my bikes and I wear Sidis for the XC bike and Shimano trail shoes on the RFX, I have worn the Sidi's on the RFX but they certainly do not feel as secure as the shimano trail shoes, but would work for a standard ride.

The 646 and rubber sole trail shoes are just gonna give your feet more protection in the rocks and more stability in the technical stuff compared to an XC setup, but if your gonna do a standard trail ride on the RFX with a lot of climbing and non technical descending the 959/XC shoe will work fine, I've run them on my RFX before.
Cool. Thanks to all for the input.

Rroeder, which Shimano trail shoes are you using?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
another vote for the mallet m's.if ya dont use em youll develop a strong affection for men then accuse everyone else of doin the same. the proof is in this thread.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
JimboCO said:

I found them on closeout at Jenson last spring, don't see them there anymore, not sure of the model number either, they are essentially a 3/4 heel and use laces with one velco strap, they are also well insulated which makes them a great winter shoe. With a good wool sock I've worn them in single digit temps and they keep my feet warm and dry.

I've got a few action pics with them on if that helps :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
JimboCO said:

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=SH-SHI-MP66&MatrixType=1

I've been running these (SH-MP66) shoes for two years now, by far the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. (I even bought a spare pair last year, they are still in the box) They also work great in the cold, as well as mud, snow, whatever, as they clean up super easy. The down sides are that they are heavy, & a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. BTW, when I say two years, that inlcludes a full season of downhill racing, as well as a trip to Moab, Whistler, etc.., plus trail riding in general.

Just my 2 cents (long 2c, I know)

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.