Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back to Shimanos. I had and loved the 959's but now wonder about the XTR 970's. What is the difference between them? Any benefits that out weigh the price of the new 970's vs. picking up a good used 959? Weight?

Thanks
SBob.........

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,488 Posts
Probably not a lot of difference if any, I know my 540's and 770 XT's are damn near identical apart from colour.

FYI 970 XTR's are only 25g lighter than the 770XT's, the 540's can be bought new for $60 shipped, whereas you'll struggle to find the XTR's for less than $120.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Hard to pony up for better than the 540 personally. The XT and XTR don't add much functional advantage. I have been running 540s and 647 pedals for the last 4 years and have no complaints.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
I use and love 540's. I looked at the XT's when they first came out, and the only difference I found was a coating on the traps and pivot pins. Other wise they share the same spindle and bearing set. The 540 is a bomb proof pedal, only thing I've found that lasted as long or worked as well were the older Time ATAC (with the round bars) specifically the ALIUM, and maybe the newer Time ROCs as they now have the old style round bars again.

My .02 is go with the 540's or the 959's if you can find em in good shape.

happy trails...

squish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.