Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a Trek 6500 and am looking to outfit it with one set of pedals that I can use for mountain biking (clipless) and adventure racing (platforms with straps), and was wondering if anyone knows of a pedal system that fits this description? I recognize I'd take off the straps while mountain biking, and put them back on for adventure racing which entails participants using the bike then running for a spell then getting on bike again, multiple times in a race, so it's not practical to use clipless and then change to running shoes.
I've also been told that having a platform on the clipless pedals can help with moving forward if you're in a situation where you clip-out and can't get clipped-in immediately. Is it possible to get one set of pedals that has clipless along with platform/straps? I'd rather not buy two sets of pedals. My main concern is functionality. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They don't exist.
Turq said:
I'm buying a Trek 6500 and am looking to outfit it with one set of pedals that I can use for mountain biking (clipless) and adventure racing (platforms with straps), and was wondering if anyone knows of a pedal system that fits this description? I recognize I'd take off the straps while mountain biking, and put them back on for adventure racing which entails participants using the bike then running for a spell then getting on bike again, multiple times in a race, so it's not practical to use clipless and then change to running shoes.
I've also been told that having a platform on the clipless pedals can help with moving forward if you're in a situation where you clip-out and can't get clipped-in immediately. Is it possible to get one set of pedals that has clipless along with platform/straps? I'd rather not buy two sets of pedals. My main concern is functionality. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Shimano SPD + mud = grief

jfr0 said:
I don't think that pedal is a good choice for an adventure racer. Those guys go through all kinds of crap. One foot in the mud and that pedal will stop working.

An adventure racer will probably want a meaty shoe that is comfortable off the bike. But that kind of necessitates a platfrom.

My suggestion is a Mallet-C or a Time-Z. VERY careful trimming of a shoe sole should get a good lock in while keeping the cleat relatively recessed.

I rode with straps for 4 years. I got VERY adept to getting out of them. But I was never able to quickly and reliably get into them. I would always play that stupid dance with the pedal in order to get into it.

Straps just aren't worth the fuss. They take too long to get into. They don't dis-engage in "emergency" situations. Most pedal systems will come free before torquing your knee. If you get stuck in straps ... you're stuck.

I watched the Primal Challenge adventure race on TV. Everybody was using clipless pedals.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm looking for a pedal that will allow clippless pedaling efficiency (for XC), but also can be used as a platform (without engaging cleat- for freeriding). Would the Mallet-C or a Time-Z work in that application, or is there something more appropriate?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
power grips?

Sounds like you need some power grips, I've given up on my spd's for now since using these the last couple years. much lighter than clipless w/ platforms.
http://www.ekosport.com/pg_benefits.shtml

do a search on 'em, there's a few of us using them.
Turq said:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.