Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a dumb question, but hoping someone can tell me I'm just being dumb. I have a set of Race Face crank arm boots, and recently got One Up pedals. The pedals have a stepped lug area, but the shank isn't very deep so the pedals tighten up against the boot. They go on fine, but the rub is bad enough where the pedal will not spin freely. They spin without resistance enough to pedal. I was thinking, if I added a pedal washer to the shank, it may move it out far enough to spin freely. Any harm in adding a washer to the pedal?

Pedals is question...https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/aluminum-pedal

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Kind of a dumb question, but hoping someone can tell me I'm just being dumb. I have a set of Race Face crank arm boots, and recently got One Up pedals. The pedals have a stepped lug area, but the shank isn't very deep so the pedals tighten up against the boot. They go on fine, but the rub is bad enough where the pedal will not spin freely. They spin without resistance enough to pedal. I was thinking, if I added a pedal washer to the shank, it may move it out far enough to spin freely. Any harm in adding a washer to the pedal?

Right on the link you provided:

These pedals are not compatible with crank boots without modification to the crank boots. We recommend removing crankboots before installation

Pedal washer may work, but then you have less pedal threads engaged - probably ok, but ya know.....

At least you don't have SRAM cranks - those flat out no go with those pedals

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on the link you provided:

These pedals are not compatible with crank boots without modification to the crank boots. We recommend removing crankboots before installation

Pedal washer may work, but then you have less pedal threads engaged - probably ok, but ya know.....

At least you don't have SRAM cranks - those flat out no go with those pedals
See all I needed was someone to point out how dumb I was being. I didn't even bother looking at the pedal product page ?

·
Registered
332 Posts

Simple solution. You have to run 2 pedals washers on each pedal. I've been doing this for several years now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have Next SL cranks and One Up pedals. I removed the crank boot and enlarged the hole with a Dremel.
Race Face says you have to use pedal washers regardless of what pedal with these cranks. The washer makes the insert flush with the crank arm.
Everything works just fine.

jummo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.