Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
Practice makes perfect. I just switched to Malletss and I'm busting myself up. I took a fall in the roots, couldn't clip out in time and slammed down on my hip. Not comfy, and definately not pretty...

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
shimplockanoof said:
I was wondering if you guys use clipless pedals, traps or flat pedals for tough riding, because being clipped in I seem to really fall alot.
The serious folks running the North Shore stuff all use platforms. As for me I'm nowhere near up to that style of riding...... so I use platforms as well so I can save myself while attempting my little mini leaps and tricks. So platforms are good for the really good riders and the really bad riders which leaves clipless for the folks that are either godlike or are racing or riding like they should be racing..... At least that's how I see it.... :D

Platforms with pins work really well on smooth soft soled sneakers or skate shoes. But be sure to get shin or shin+knee guards as well. The pins can do a real number on your shins.

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
I actually switched to Mallets b/c:
1) we do a lot of climbing to get to our fun jump/drop areas
2) my shins looked like mince meat end of last summer
3) it forces one to hone the skill
It is a little painful now but I'm sure it'll pay off in the future. Pain is temporary, skill(and pride) is forever...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I actually just took a bad crash, flipped over the handlebars, six stiches, however I don't think I would've been any better without clips, it actually helped me tuck and roll. Stiches came because the sprocket hit my knee. The clipless are hard to get out, but it just seems like they help me get more out of each pedal. By the way can you describe North Shore riding, I don't know what that is.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I use platforms..always have except on my road bikes.
I find that for a quick little "save yer arse dab" in tight technical singletrack situations the platforms work better for me.
They do tend to 'chew' up your insteps if you aren't careful though. Those sharp rows of 'teeth' that keep your foot glued to the pedal can sure bite hard if they hit you in the leg.

I also found that I could bail out a lot better/quicker if I really had to with the platforms than the clip-ins.

R.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I have no problems clipping out at most any time. Quick dabs are simple. Out and back on without even thinking about it. When I say I stay clipped in for everything I mean I do not intentionally unclip to ride something. I have better control and confidence clipped in.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
yeah

yeah what Shiggy here says. Clipless will become natural in no time at all. Now on my road bike sometimes I horse around trying to trackstand and why just last week came really really close to not making it out in time.

shiggy said:
I have no problems clipping out at most any time. Quick dabs are simple. Out and back on without even thinking about it. When I say I stay clipped in for everything I mean I do not intentionally unclip to ride something. I have better control and confidence clipped in.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sounds like...

shimplockanoof said:
I was wondering if you guys use clipless pedals, traps or flat pedals for tough riding, because being clipped in I seem to really fall alot.
you haven't practiced enough before riding on the trails. I fell a couple of times when I first started, but feel that since I spent weeks practicing clipping in and out before hitting the trails it prevented too many crashes due to the pedals. Haven't fallen in years due to them. Some foks are just too impatient to take the time to prepare properly so they end up suffering. If you don't like suffering I suggest more time practicing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I can clip out fine while thinking about it, it is just when I lose too much speed on a climb or something, my mind tells me to put my foot to the side and catch myself, instead of twisting out. I know I need more practice, the main raseon I was wondering, was because I saw so many pictures of riders without them. THanks.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
lower the clip setting to lowest level.

Are you a XC rider or stunt rider? if you intend to be XC rider, skip the platform pedal, you can get easily injured with it. Did you have difficulty unclip? did you feel the clip a bit tight when you first clip in ?if it is tight, you have to release the clip to its lowest level thus it will enable you to clip/unclip much easier.

I have the 524 shimano clipless platform pedal and 959 clipless pedal. I find that the 959 is safer to use on single track. I am less prone getting injured from the platform hitting my shin.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Heel down and out. Like sliding your foot off the pedal to get it on the ground. Practice it and it will become second nature. If you try to lift your foot the cleat hangs up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
shiggy said:
Heel down and out. Like sliding your foot off the pedal to get it on the ground. Practice it and it will become second nature. If you try to lift your foot the cleat hangs up.
Ok when u say practice what do u mean exaclly because i have tried and tried and all i get is a side full of grass or mud.....i really want to be able to use the clipless but just dont think i have the right idea about how to get out in time to get yourself before falling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Practice

When I got my first bike with clipless I also bought shoes. The LBS put my bike in a trainer and let me practice clipping in and out as long as I needed to to get the feel. I would practice unclipping at all points in my pedal stroke: pushing and pulling, hammering, spinning, etc. I spent about 30 minutes in that trainer. Kind of felt funny doing that in the middle of the sales floor, but I've only had two falls from being clipped in, and that was mostly due to worn cleats.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Clipless do not replace platform! They are mutually exclusive designs made for different styles of riding. Don't buy into the "need more practice" argument, it is logically flawed and does not work in practice (pun intended).

If you keep falling with clipless from the inability to stick the foot out fast enough then you need platforms. Simple as that.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Disagree with Black Cat, some just need more time and instruction and practice than others, but to say after a brief try that you should just give up? It still boils down to the type of riding you do. Unless you're doing jumps and hucks where you almost plan to ditch the bike regularly, I think clipless are superior for control and pedalling efficiency. A lot of downhillers and freeriders ride clipless, although usually with a pedal with a platform around the mechanism.

I ride what most would probably call aggressive xc and definitely prefer to be clipped in; when I need to clip in and out to dab or whatever it's quick and second nature. To be fair I never rode flats alone on a mountain bike; before clipless I used toeclips/straps (without cleat for the mountain bike, with cleat for road bike) as well as PowerGrips. Everyone falls a bit at first, but practice makes perfect...like someone else said, try practicing with your pedals in all kinds of positions and practice in a nice soft grassy field if you're afraid of falling while doing so. Not all clipless cleats are created equal either, some standard cleats don't have dual release capabilities.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.