Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not into hardcore riding here......more just recreational cross country stuff. Am curious as to other peoples view as to whether platform pedals( with SPD clips) offer better pedaling efficiency than non-platform/egg beater type SPD pedals? I don't use really rigid shoes ( I like to be able to walk into the bar with them on after a ride!) and so are wondering if say SPD's with platforms offer better power delivery/less energy loss than a small 'SPD-only' type pedal?

Thanks

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
For what you're describing I'd recommend flat (non-spd) pedals. The power difference between them and spd's is insignificant and you'll probably have more fun with them.

If you're dead set on clipless I'd get the type that have a small platform because they offer a little more support for flexier, non-racer type shoes. Not sure if you were considering the dual-sided type with flat on one side and clipless on the other but if you were I'd definitely recommend not getting those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.