Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few days, I'll be getting my new 575 with Enduro kit. This will be my 1st FS bike, coming from 4 yrs on a HT, with regular pedals (no clipless). Don't have any experience w clipless pedals, so I was thinking about the Crank Bros Mallets. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
The platform on clipless shoes tends to be unnecessary (it doesn't give much of a usable grip). I'd suggest:

  • Light and absolutely bombproof - Time ATACs
  • Cheap and absolutely bombproof but heavy - Time ATAC Aliums
  • Very light - Eggbeater SLs
 

·
Livin' the Dream
Joined
·
506 Posts
I had a set of Mallet's on my 575 and they are great, but very heavy. I switched to Candy SL's and never noticed the difference. I tried the eggbeaters and you can't tell the difference between any of them once under foot. The eggbeaters are slightly (very slight) more difficult to engage, but I thought the candy's and mallets were identical for engagement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks womble / Asbury for your comments.

Will the Time ATAC allow me to ride without clipless shoes (ie, w regular shoes) as the Mallets will? The reason I'm asking is this will be my first clipless pedals ...

How about the Time ATAC XS? Since my budget is $100 and they are lighter ..
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
Nothing will allow you to ride offroad with normal shoes. The raised clip gets in the way and your foot will skate off the pedal. If you just want to ride down to the shops, ATACs are fine for this (no idea what Eggbeaters are like with normal shoes though).

Clipless should be an all-or-nothing affair. Don't faff about trying for compatibility with normal shoes- it'll result in a crappy compromise that just isn't worth it.
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,685 Posts
rrpalma said:
Thanks womble / Asbury for your comments.

Will the Time ATAC allow me to ride without clipless shoes (ie, w regular shoes) as the Mallets will? .
You should use the search function on this....there are countless threads discussing this question and all other clipless issues. Bottom line, imo....all clipless pedals suck for riding unclipped, including the Mallets, not sure about the ATAC's but the platform is small so thats never good for riding without being clipped in. It can be done but the mechanism gets in the way making a solid pedal/shoe contact impossible. If you are just riding to the store then not a big deal, but on the trails, forget about it.

I've owned the Mallets, Eggbeaters and never really like them. I then went to Shimano clipless and have been perfectly happy. They have adjustable tension so I recommend them to beginners. I've heard great things about Time ATAC as well but just haven't tried them myself as I've been happy with the Shimano for years now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eatdrinkride said:
You should use the search function on this....there are countless threads discussing this question and all other clipless issues.
My apologies, I tried, but couldn't find anything specific on noobie+clipless+new 575 advice :blush:

Bottom line, imo....all clipless pedals suck for riding unclipped, including the Mallets, not sure about the ATAC's but the platform is small so thats never good for riding without being clipped in. It can be done but the mechanism gets in the way making a solid pedal/shoe contact impossible. If you are just riding to the store then not a big deal, but on the trails, forget about it.

eatdrinkride said:
I've owned the Mallets, Eggbeaters and never really like them. I then went to Shimano clipless and have been perfectly happy. They have adjustable tension so I recommend them to beginners. I've heard great things about Time ATAC as well but just haven't tried them myself as I've been happy with the Shimano for years now.
If you don't mind my asking, which Shimanos?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
womble said:
Nothing will allow you to ride offroad with normal shoes. The raised clip gets in the way and your foot will skate off the pedal. If you just want to ride down to the shops, ATACs are fine for this (no idea what Eggbeaters are like with normal shoes though).

Clipless should be an all-or-nothing affair. Don't faff about trying for compatibility with normal shoes- it'll result in a crappy compromise that just isn't worth it.
Thanks womble for your comments. Seems like the Time ATAC will be a very good choice; lighter and cheaper than the Mallets, too.
 

·
local trails rider
Joined
·
12,300 Posts
rrpalma said:
all clipless pedals suck for riding unclipped, including the Mallets, not sure about the ATAC's but the platform is small so thats never good for riding without being clipped in.
I would not really want to use my ATACs unclipped.

Take a look at the latest ROC ATAC models. At least with my shoes, clipping in feels even easier than with ATAC XS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
Get the new Mallets, they are smaller and lighter than the original Mallets. The platform is really nice to have IMO when learning, great for having something to stand on if you can't immediately clip in, etc.
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,685 Posts
rrpalma said:
If you don't mind my asking, which Shimanos?
All shimano use the same mechanism. Some have a platform, some don't, some are lighter, some are plastic, some are steel or alloy, yada yada yada...all clip in and out the same way and have adjustable tension.

Search for 'clipless' or clipless+newbie, don't include '575'...makes no difference what bike the pedals go on. Oh, eggbeaters are the absolute worst pedals to even attempt to ride with regular shoes or unclipped. Get the ATAC or some Shimano 520's or 540's and use them ALL the time. After a while you will never want to ride without being clipped in. At least that's where I'm at. The nastier the trail, the more chunk or gnar it has the more I want to be clipped in. Even if I ride in my neighborhood I throw on a old pair of clipless shoes and go. Now if you're commuting to school or something that's a bit different as I can see how you would not want to wear cycling shoes to class all day.

try this page: http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=7539067
 

·
I like Monkeys
Joined
·
886 Posts
I used the normal crank brothers for years. When my set wore out I tried the candies and had trouble unclipping and they didn't last long. I've since went to ATACS and I'm sticking with them. Although it isn't a platform I do feel that I'm a little more in control and can pedal decently when I can't get immediately clipped in, unlike the CB's. And I think the times last longer, I'm using a 5 year old set I got from my wife. Although my original CB's lasted for about 3 years the latest pairs lasted less than a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Eggbeater SLs, these are my pedal of choice. Had shimano before but once I changed to Eggbeaters I know they where the ones. Very easy in and out, mud is not a problem plus they are light weight. I ride XC and All mountain and they work great for my type of riding
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
VaughnA said:
I used the normal crank brothers for years. When my set wore out I tried the candies and had trouble unclipping and they didn't last long. I've since went to ATACS and I'm sticking with them. Although it isn't a platform I do feel that I'm a little more in control and can pedal decently when I can't get immediately clipped in, unlike the CB's. And I think the times last longer, I'm using a 5 year old set I got from my wife. Although my original CB's lasted for about 3 years the latest pairs lasted less than a year.
I agree , my atacs are great , easy entry / exit , lots of "float" and "I" have enough platform to pedal , as long as you do not mash down. By far my favorite pedals , carbon model on the 575 and Titans on my x/c race bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Try Crank Bros Acid Pedals

I use the acid pedals myself and like them a lot. It has a small platform that's useful when you can't get clipped in right away. To me, it's a good compromise between the Mallets and egg beaters. You can find the Acid 1 pedals on sale at most online retailers.
 

·
Who is John Galt?
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Here's my experience with clipless -- bought a set of Shimanos and installed them over the lunch hour. Manual said to install loose at first until you get them adjusted. Clipped in, went for a ride, and discovered loose cleats won't unclip. Rode around for 10 minutes before I found a tree I could hug so I could wrestle the shoes off. Headed to the shop and removed cleats from pedals with a screwdriver. Went for a ride the next day on a somewhat wet trail -- got rocks and mud stuck in the pedals/cleats. Could not unclip! Hugged another tree, dug rocks out with a screwdriver. Next week traded my new Shimanos for a set of Time Atac XS and never looked back. I do find I can ride them unclipped because the Times have a larger area than other brands. But it's not something you would want to do for long as others have pointed out. Once you get the hang of the they become second nature. I've also given these pedals a tremendous beating and have yet to break one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Pedals are a real personal decision. I tried Shimanos and thought they were alright until I got a deal on eggbeater SLs. Now I love the eggbeaters and don't care for trying anything else unless i could get a deal on a pair of eggbeater Tis.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top