Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for feedback- I’ve never ridden anything but Trek and 29’er...

I just went to a 2018 SC TB 27.5...

Pedal strikes galore - I made a sag adjustment and it helped a bit ...

But ...

Do you think it’s more the tire or the brand ? Lower BB on SC I believe ...

Will a 29 tire do the trick ? I kinda like the width of the 27.5 ...

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
906 Posts
Welcome to the new geo. Hated it on my 6Fattie and sold it. Midwest rocks and roots. Riding a Stache now. Great bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I did the same. One season on a SC 5010, sold it and bought a Stache. Loving it so far.

If you want to keep the tall boy, 29er wheels are a good idea with the biggest tires you can fit. You can also try lengthening the fork with more travel; you can buy longer air shafts for most forks for ~$30. You will raise the BB by about half the amount of travel you add. This will also slacken the head and seat angles by ~1 degree per 20mm of added travel. Shorter cranks are also an option.

Does your frame have a 'flip chip'? The 'High' option will raise the BB a bit (5mm?) and that is free!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If you still have the Trek, some interesting trivia would be for you to measure from floor to center of BB, just as a comparison to how much lower the new bike sits at the BB.

My full suspension sits 1/2" taller on 29x2.3 at the axle than the 2.8" 27.5. I haven't checked the BB heights, but I get no pedal strikes on the hard tail 27.5 because there is no suspension to sink.
I only mentioned the axle height to show the bike sits only 1/2" higher between the two wheel sizes.

I've had more pedal strikes on my full suspension in 2.5 years than I had on my 26" hard tail in 8 years. It's still not a lot of strikes, but more than I wish I had.

I am also on flat pedals (same pedal on both bikes) which I believe are thicker than clipless? Maybe I just remember the composite pedals are thicker than their aluminum counterparts.

·
g=9.764m/s2
812 Posts
Whooah man I've never heard of that before! any feedback on it?
Yea, put one on a '14 Stache rebuild with 175mm crank... not only no pedal strikes but no chainring strikes either. Niner made them to use with 27+ wheel sets and now Guerrilla Gravity includes them with their modular frame platform. Here is a blurb from GG's site ... "there are two lower cup options for the GeoAdjust Headset, a 0 mm Cup and taller 15 mm Cup. The 0 mm Cup is designed to work best with 29" front-ends and the 15 mm Cup with 27.5" front-ends

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.