Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the gravel bike thing and curious what most are using for pedals and shoes.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I use XC mtb clipless pedals and shoes. I personally would not want to use platform pedals, but whatever floats your boat.

·
asshole roadie
205 Posts
I put a pair of Shimano PD-ES600s on my gravel ride and really like them. Use whatever shoes feel comfortable on your feet and are within your budget.

If you want double-sided pedals, Shimano PF-M520s and M540s are all over the shop, are reliable, and can be had for not much at all.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Can't imagine why anyone would want to use flats and regular shoes riding on the road.

Personally I use Time ATAC Carbon pedals and Lake MX237 shoes. I know a lot of guys ride road shoes and pedals. I did try that but they are terrible to walk in if you ever have to get off the bike in gravel. I've completely switched to mountain bike shoes and pedals even on the road. There's really no benefit that I can see riding road shoes/pedals even on the road other than image. If you were a top tier competitor then there might be a tiny bit of performance increase and slightly lighter shoes...but that's about it.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I'm surprised anyone is riding drop bars and flats.

I use Shimano PD-A520 with my xc mtb shoes. Pedal has a little bit of support around the clip and I didn't have to buy new shoes.
Me too.

My gravel bike was designed knowing how much lean angle i needed to avoid pedal strikes while cornering on the road, so it was built around those pedals. Double sided XC pedals are ~10mm taller when leaning and are a no-go.

Depending on the version (these have been superseded by a pedal that hangs nicely), you have to kick them over as you clip in, which is an annoying trait until you learn to do it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.