Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for some new platform pedals and have come across many in a very wide range of prices. SO I am curious what the main differences would be between a high end pedal and a cheap one (besides weight of course). I also noticed that crankbros has three levels of most of their pedals. What are the differences between the Acid 1, 2 and 3s?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Platforms, right?

Bearing quality (loose vs sealed) platform material and construction, and spindle material. That, and country of manufacture.

One of the nicer platforms out there is the Wellgo MG-1. Light, decent price, and just plain works. Acids are not strictly platforms.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
+3 Wellgo Mg 1's. I just picked up a pair for $47 to use on those particularly "technical" trails that I can't afford to tip over on in my clipless pedals.:thumbsup:

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
First thing to look for is sealed bearings. Then you pay for weight or materials that they are made of. And also the engineering / machining that may be involved.
On some of the most expensive pedals it takes them 4 minutes to machine each titanium pin. So yeah.

Examples of where you may pay extra due to engineering and quality is the likes of Straitline, Reset (they're the ones that spend 4minutes machining each Ti pin), Dangerboy etc.

It really depends on your budget and yeah you probably also pay for the "bling" factor.
Pedals I like the most are DMR V12 Mags, they have sealed bearings and made of magnesium which means they're a bit lighter, but in reality I like the shape, size and feel more than all that. They also make standard V12's which are heavier alloy but still sealed. And then you have the V8's which don't have sealed bearings but do come with grease that can be regularly applied via syringe to the grease nipple.

I agree with the above, Wellgo Mg1's are great value, sealed bearing mag peldal cheaper and lighter than the V12's.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've only used Shimano pedals since I've started mountain biking many years ago. Either XT or XTR.
Why?
I've bashed them on rocks, hosed them down with water, never lubed the bearings, almost never oiled the spring pivots, and that's about it.
They just keep working, period.
The only reason I ever retired a pair is because 2 of the screws holding on the top plate of one pedal vibrated out after years of use, and I couldn't find the exact same screw/ thread pitch to replace them.
All my friends have used Wellgo's, Ritcheys, etc and have replaced them on regular intervals.
YMMV
Lenny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.