Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read the reviews on each but want you guys / girls to help me out with your recommendations...

I'm looking to get new pedals and can't seem to decide between the Crank Brothers Candy C, Time ATAC (probably the Alium), Look Quartz or Speedplay Frog... Which one does each of you love and why?

Some background: I currently have SPD's (Forte Carve) but am just not happy with engagement / disengagement when they're clogged up with crud. I also wouldn't mind having a bit more float but still want it to hold securely but be easy to clip out. (I know, I want it ALL!) I have Speedplay X pedals on my roadie and love them.

What is your recommendation? (Less than $100)

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been using time for the last 3 years and I love them. There is only 3 different adjustments (1,2,3,) 1 being the loosest, 3 being the tightest. Now that I think of it these are marked in roman numerals on the pedals. I start in #1 and when the cleats and pedals start to loosen I go to the next higher number. I know there is plenty of people who don't care for Time, but I love them. I still have my first pair of time atac (not on any bike right now), but they are a very durable pedal. I run the time atac carbon titanium on both my bikes now. I only upgraded cuz of the difference in weight. That first pair I was tallking about cost around 80-100 dollars and they are still in great shape. I don't think anybody can go wrong with these types of pedals

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I've used Times for 7 years, they are great. Very positive engage/disengage, good float, great mud clearance, incredibly reliable.

I've used the Look Quartz for 2-3 months. They are a major disappointment- inconsistent engagement and poor retention. Despite trying multiple shims options. On the upside, they are light for the price. Probably fine if you're riding XC without too much bouncy stuff.

No comment on CB/Speedplay as I've never used them.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
My first clipless pedals were Time Aliums....nothing wrong with them. Then the eggs came out....seemed the same to me just w/o the body and 4 sides of engagement. Then the Candy's came out. Bought the Candy's since the Aliums were getting old. To me, the Candy's and Aliums are basically the same kinda design. I've had no problems with either pedal. Engagement/disengagement with the Candy's seem to be a bit easier....this seems to be the case across all Crank pedals. I currently ride Mallet M's though. People say that the Crank pedals are flimsy. I recently sent my Mallets back for warranty work but I don't doubt their strength. Things break...$hit happens. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.