Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering is anyone aware of this group buy? Anyway they are making a special group buy and they need a minimum of 50 people to get the group price. The frame is $500 if the minimum order is met, otherwise it will be at $850.

More information about the group buy can be had here:

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=3629

So check it out and get a new bike at a sweet deal! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
uuuuh...

very optimistic weights here!
an L size (19") at 1200g???

just a reminder: german Mountainbike magazine tested about 10 different high-end carbon hardtail framesets and only 2 came in at this weight! several of these expensive frames were over 1400g, several had low stiffness readings as well...i wouldn't buy such a frame if you can have nice aluminium frames cheaper and lighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I emailed PedalForce to query their weight claims, and got a very prompt reply, with this:

"Thanks for your enquiry. Yes, 1200g is the actual measured weight of the 19" frame. There is of course some variation from frame to frame, but not by very much."

Not sure what length fork the geometry is based on, but the angles certainly seem a little on the steep side.

Seems like a solid deal to me. Shame they aren't disc only so they'd be even lighter. And top tube routed cables. Boo.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Now GREMAN Bike can go shove all those tests...

where the sen does't not shine!!! :eekster: :mad:.

The Pedla Force frames come in at requested weights and they make frames for soo mnay people it's not even funny from what I told. I have five people I know get their road frames and they are nothing but OUTSTANDING performing frames regardless of cost. Now I am starting to really dobut all these stupid test they do as bull crap and biased!

Anyone looking at CF MTB take a HARD look at these. The quality and CS seems to be there from what I have heard. These are TOP QUALITY Taiwan made frames.

remeber even Nino's beloved SCOTT is made in China.

Nino, this is nothing against you. But if BIKE put's down this frame, now I know they are talking pumpen Sie aus :eek: :D :nono:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very tempted, that price is stupidly low for what your getting.
Have my doubts that it will reach 50 by the deadline though.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
bhsavery said:
I've never heard of these people... anyone comment on their rep? Looks kinda taiwanesy (greymarketish)
From what I have heard, outstanding. Now they are not grey market frames. These are made by the same factory that makes a TON of the Tawianese CF frames.
They come with 5 yr warranties as well.

More:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="pageHeading">About Us</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="main"><table style="width: 547px; height: 511px;" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="547"> <tbody> <tr> <td valign="top"> Pedal Force - Advanced bicycles at great prices

Pedal Force carbon bicycle frames and parts are made by a group of companies in Taiwan who are major Original Equipment Manufacturers of carbon bike components and sports equipment. These are the same manufacturers that produce some of the most high-end products for many well known brand names. We are a USA company selling direct to customers worldwide.
Manufacturing monocoque carbon fiber frames, forks and seat posts is an inherently costly affair. Firstly, carbon fiber is an expensive material that is in high demand. Secondly, an expensive mould has to be made for every new part and frame size. Thirdly, it is a labor intensive process, not suited for high-volume production.
Obviously, most big brands would want to charge premium prices for such exotic stuff. Beside production costs, the final retail prices are also highly marked up by big investment costs in setting up dealer networks, advertising, team sponsorships and brand name promotion with the aim to reach a wide market audience.
So why are our prices so good? Because we sell direct and we don't incur huge costs in brand building campaigns. We only reach out to the real cyclists who know what they want. Our typical customer is a cycling enthusiast with good knowledge of bike riding and technology, knows a good product when he sees one, and found out about us through research or from their cycling network. By minimizing our cost of product promotion to a wider market audience, we aim to make the best cycling technology affordable to people who will truly enjoy it.
We believe that carbon composites make the most amazing bikes. Our products are designed for their high performance, strength, durability and good looks. Now everyone can afford them. All our products have undergone stringent quality control, and have been fully tested for strength and durability. All products come with a satisfaction guarantee and are warranted against defects in workmanship.
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>https://pedalforce.com/online/index.php

·
Registered
35 Posts
A word of promotion on my part, since I was the one who recommended the group buy to Atmos in the first place but I guess he was getting impatient with meeting the quota. Also to note, I'm not buying - I already have 5 bikes at home and a 6th one is coming, so please don't misjudge this as an attempt from me to breach the quota, although I'd like to help my friend out. ^^;

Firstly, the service (always the most important for me). Absolutely great service from them. I've had help with fitting, shipping prices, notification of prototype sales together with spy-pix, choice of shipping services, group purchases et cetera. What really impressed me was that they even recalled my interests expresed in one of my queries dating months back and sent me a follow-up when there was a discount in the price. Also, a shout out for Powercordz (IoDupont) and even nino (hey, sometimes you can disagree with what he thinks or what he recommends, but there's no doubt that he's pretty experienced, zealous and friendly to boot; most importantly, he speaks comprehensible and coherent English!) in this category! These are guys you should support and put in business!

Secondly, the weights. Many people have bought from them, a search in bikeforums, starbikes et cetera will yield many results, including that of real weights meeting the claims with decent accuracy. Besides, the weight isn't exactly uber-impressive to the point of disbelief. There are 800++g MTB frames, so what's so unbelievable about 1200g?

Thirdly, the quality. I think what's most significant if you've seen one in person is the finish. The naked carbon weave finish is really beautiful to behold. Users in other forums attest to its stiffness, although I must add that these are personal opinions and not tested. I don't subscribe to the same school of thought, but there are famous framemakers who believe that too much stiffness is not everything (e.g. Merten & Storck GmbH & Co), and others who believe that the torsion acting on a frame to the extent of flexure "springs" back at the end of an oscillation to make up for the loss of power.

Fourthly, for those who were wondering about their manufacture... Their source, ADK Technology Limited, is one of the leading CF components manufacturers in Taiwan, along with Martec Industrial Corporation, Topkey Corporation, Advanced Group/International Multitech Co. Ltd. et cetera, and supplier to many other known brands, and the same frame is rebadged as many other models by other brands. Do a search if you deem this as a form of insurance to build up your trust; I'm lazy to list the names, because it will probably start up another Who-makes-what warfare.

Edit: Yes, they're a US-based company. Basically, you get the warranty and assurance from them at affordable prices, instead of having to buy in bulk from dubious a OEM source or buying a rebadged frame at boutique prices.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Oh come on, nino only complains about stuff he's not selling anyways so the fact he's mentioning some german mag test really has nothing to do with it. But if it was something he was selling, there'd be no end of positive posting ad nauseum about it. All with unsubtle comments like "yes I sell them, PM me" in them. Its amusing how the mods for the different forums treat this kind of spam differently. In the vintage forum, rumpfy's pretty damn consistent on deleting such posts/threads without there being direct links to the classifieds, but lord knows that never happens in here.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
weights...

DeeEight said:
Oh come on, nino only complains about stuff he's not selling anyways so the fact he's mentioning some german mag test really has nothing to do with it. But if it was something he was selling, there'd be no end of positive posting ad nauseum about it. All with unsubtle comments like "yes I sell them, PM me" in them. Its amusing how the mods for the different forums treat this kind of spam differently. In the vintage forum, rumpfy's pretty damn consistent on deleting such posts/threads without there being direct links to the classifieds, but lord knows that never happens in here.
c'mon Dee8 - my only concern was the weight. if someone can prove me wrong i would be glad, really! i also think all those carbon frames are way overprized. especially the big names like Scott or Specialized and the like...if those are really that light and hold up that's GOOD NEWS!

it's just that there's lots of big companies selling carbon frames and only very few actually are that light as you can see in the scanned article above.

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
I'm participating on the groupbuy for the road frame, i'm considering selling my spot and jumping on this gb..

·
Registered
432 Posts
just for a reference, some people successfully did this for the qs2-s back in november. It was started on bikeforums.net and then some people talked about it on roadbikereview.com. Here's the post on rbr:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=75526&highlight=pedal+force
they needed to get to 100 frames. i guess you sign up through pedal force and you do the money stuff through them also. they did a 200 dollar deposit and paid the rest later. hopefully this works out.
Michael

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Andfar said:
Could you send the link for the road frame groupbuy? When's the deadline?

Deadline has already passed but if you need/want a 58cm w/no decals and a cf fork i'll give you my spot for the deposit i already paid.

1 - 20 of 375 Posts