Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am, 2 weeks before a race, and I dont know what the hell pedals to use. I urgently need youre help. I ride toe clip pedals{dont know how I do it} because I currently cant affored clipless{student, blabla, you know the deal}. Now, I have been riding them for about 2 years and I still find them a pain in the @$$ to clip into, especially on the uphills, which would probably be my forte in a race. Now, I have tried platforms, but only the ones without the pins{you know, the skinny xc type}. Almost 3 weeks ago I got hung up and hit my knee on one side, I still have the mark. I want to get platforms, but I have no Idea what to use to protect my knees{I need something cheap and easy to get}. I will get clipless, but I cant yet, so forget that. I have been riding 5 years and ride xc trail. If I cant use platforms then what do I do for the clips. HELP!:madman:

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
Fox used to make a pretty cheap shin/knee protector that a MX place near my place would sell. It was very basic but lite and would keep the pins from giving shin burgers. I'd head to a MX store see what they have for cheap. It had two velcro/elastic straps for going around your lower leg (calf and just above the anckle) the knee protector was loose so it would flop around (i ended up just cutting it off) as you are supposed to wear those gaurds under some MX pants.

I'm surprised you can't find some cheap clipless pedals though. Have you looked on craigs list, mtbr and ebay? an older Ritchey (basically the same design as a shimano clipless) are pretty cheap maybe. You might even be able to stop in at your LBS and see if the have some pedals the people didn't want on their bike that came OEM, like a trade out bin or some such thing.

·
EDR
10,037 Posts
Dirt Bringer said:
I will get clipless, but I cant yet, so forget that. I have been riding 5 years and ride xc trail. If I cant use platforms then what do I do for the clips. HELP!:madman:
I can't 'forget' clipless. If you take biking seriously enough to race then find some way to get clipless pedals/shoes. Sounds like you are doing a huge disservice to yourself. I mean some Shimano M520's on Ebay are like $35 and you can get tons of shoes for under $50. Heck i got my 661 Neuvo shoes for $19 online. I mean we are talking about cutting out one night at the club or bar, or dinner and and movie with the GF. Try to make it happen. I have no better ideas, sorry.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You should be able to buy clipless pedals and shoes for under $50 total if you look around online. Like eatdrinkride said, that's one date with the girlfriend. You'll spend about $50 for platforms and shin-guards anyway. Buy clipless instead. Just do it. You'll be happy you did.

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Its all great exept for two things. First, how do I know the shoes I get off the internet will fit. Second, I cant afford clipless right now. Its as simple as that. I will get them as soon as I can. I cant get them right now, no way in hell. And I need a replacement as soon as possible. I hate toe clips. I already spent 30 on a skate shoe I cant return cuz I got oil on its side. I found a set of platforms at the lbs for 22. And I found a perfect shin gaurd for 5 at meihers. They are addidas soccer gaurds, but they are light, seem well ventilated{have holes in them, I can make more} and protect where I need them. So what should I do. Is there any remedy for toe cips, cuz they do hold me on the bike in the rough. Thanks agian.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Dirt Bringer said:
Thanks for the feedback. Its all great exept for two things. First, how do I know the shoes I get off the internet will fit. Second, I cant afford clipless right now. Its as simple as that. I will get them as soon as I can. I cant get them right now, no way in hell. And I need a replacement as soon as possible. I hate toe clips. I already spent 30 on a skate shoe I cant return cuz I got oil on its side. I found a set of platforms at the lbs for 22. And I found a perfect shin gaurd for 5 at meihers. They are addidas soccer gaurds, but they are light, seem well ventilated{have holes in them, I can make more} and protect where I need them. So what should I do. Is there any remedy for toe cips, cuz they do hold me on the bike in the rough. Thanks agian.
You can always do the evil practice of goin to your LBS, tryin on diff items (in this case, shoes) findin your size then buy them online ;P

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of doing that. Do they all fit about the same, or do they vary like normal shoes? I guess the real question is, is having toe clips better than having platforms? I kinda have to know in a hurry cuz I am gonna go to the shop today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts