Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have some Crank Bros Ti Eggs. Great pedals, love the weight, love the design but HATE THE CLEATS!!! When are a set of cleats going to last longer than 2 months!

I am looking at another brand. I like the concept of the float (for my knees). I am tossing up between Shimano 959 and the Time Atac XS Carbon. I like the concept of the atacs, have heard their cleats last longer than Crank Bros. Stupid question, but do they have any bling attached to them??

Which pedal would u go for and why? Any other options, how about Xpedos, they seem to have bad reviews here..why?

In australia, I dont see many Time Atacs.. I wonder why..

·
Banned
683 Posts
ryan123 said:
I currently have some Crank Bros Ti Eggs. Great pedals, love the weight, love the design but HATE THE CLEATS!!! When are a set of cleats going to last longer than 2 months!

I am looking at another brand. I like the concept of the float (for my knees). I am tossing up between Shimano 959 and the Time Atac XS Carbon. I like the concept of the atacs, have heard their cleats last longer than Crank Bros. Stupid question, but do they have any bling attached to them??

Which pedal would u go for and why? Any other options, how about Xpedos, they seem to have bad reviews here..why?

What the heck is "bling"?

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
ryan123 said:
...but HATE THE CLEATS!!! When are a set of cleats going to last longer than 2 months!
Part of the reason the pedals works so well have to do with the material the cleats are made from (brass).

Suck it up. If you want bling, save the old cleats and put them on a necklace. :rolleyes:

fp

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
ryan123 said:

ATAC cleats last a long time. I've forgotten how many years old mine are. I looked at my pedals, however, and none of the 3 sets has any bling on them. Dirt, yes. Scratches, heck yeah. Bling, no. If you want good looks, keep shelling out for disposable cleats. If you want something that works, either the Shimano's or ATAC's will serve you well. If you really must spend too much for a product, the ATAC's are available with a Ti spindle for a small fortune.

I'm going to guess a possible reason why ATACs aren't common in Australia is that they really shine in wet, muddy or snowy conditions, which probably doesn't describe a much of Australia. The price you pay is that they are a bit hefty and there are many less expensive alternatives, but it's worth it if you live in mud-country, like I do.

Kathy :^)

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
ryan123 said:

Call up Crank Bros and ask for a set of the Quattro road cleats, they last 10 times longer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In my opinion, you really can't beat the Time ATACs... nice float for the knees, absolutely incredible mud flinging (you can clip in with your cleats covered in mud), bearings last a long time, cleats last a long time, AND they won't release when hit from the bottom on rocks like Eggbeaters can.

I know many people enjoy the Eggbeaters and I'm sure they are great, but I will ride Time pedals on my mtb for as long as they make them...

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
My only gripe with the XS's

Is that in wet conditions the retention mechanism can be kinda hard to find due to the lack of any kinda platform surrounding the retention mechanism..

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
Lucky said:
...If you really must spend too much for a product, the ATAC's are available with a Ti spindle for a small fortune....
I'd just buy the cheap ones and wrap a $100 bill around each spindle. Not everyone recognizes or appreciates Ti when they see it but the bills should impress everyone :D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Rivet said:
Call up Crank Bros and ask for a set of the Quattro road cleats, they last 10 times longer.
YUP I've heard this too - the road cleats are sposed to last a whole lot longer than the MTB ones :confused: dunno why, but it could be they're made of a tougher material since on a road bike you aren't un-clipping all the time for dabs etc like on an MTB and the brass of the MTB version is easier to un-clip.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Here's some bling for you

with some real performance to boot. Time ATAC Carbon 2001 World Championship pedals. This set has less than a 100 miles on it. I have 2 sets from 2000 and they are going strong with no problems. They have sealed cartridge bearings on the outboard side of the spindle and precision needle bearings on the inside. Aside from adding a little grease to the spindle, I've never done anything to the bearings and probably never will need to. Bushing pedals just can't hold a candle to these gems. You can still find these on ebay (where I got this set) if you look. Oh, and I get about 2 years out of my cleats riding about 1500 - 2000 miles a year.

Attachments

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
steiny said:
with some real performance to boot. Time ATAC Carbon 2001 World Championship pedals. This set has less than a 100 miles on it. I have 2 sets from 2000 and they are going strong with no problems. They have sealed cartridge bearings on the outboard side of the spindle and precision needle bearings on the inside. Aside from adding a little grease to the spindle, I've never done anything to the bearings and probably never will need to. Bushing pedals just can't hold a candle to these gems. You can still find these on ebay (where I got this set) if you look. Oh, and I get about 2 years out of my cleats riding about 1500 - 2000 miles a year.
Agreed. My ATAC Carbons lasted three years before a relube and had minimal play. The new XS are lighter but lack the superb needle & roller bearings relying instead on a tiny roller bearing & plastic bush arrangement. The XS had significant play after only one year... Those older Carbons are bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
steiny said:
No offense but those things are fugly. Looks like rainbow brite had diahrea and shat all over them.

I've got spd's, not the blingy 959s but the 540s, work great and I haven't needed to replace cleats or do any maintanence except for lubing them (approx. 1,000 miles).

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Pedals are an important componet

ryan123 said:

I really like shimano SPDs, never had a knee or ankle injury even my cheapie 515's & 520s worked well for a couple of years. Also no surprises, you can adjust them so you can pop out easy but not by pop loose on accident.

Ive been riding the 959s for the last year and a half they are the best, a little heavy though but worth the money and weight. I got them for about $100 US but can't find them for less than $150 now and I need a new set of pedals for my other MTB bike and want a new set for my road bike. I hear the 540 pedals are nearly as good at about 75.00 so I may try a set of those.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bike Nazi said:
I hear the 540 pedals are nearly as good at about 75.00 so I may try a set of those.
FYI, got an extra pair of 540s from jensonusa at 69.99 market price about a week ago, probably still going for that. Haven't ridden the 959s but I can't see needing more than the 540s for myself

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Make sure the cleats are aligned correctly. If the angle is off and the cleat works against the release/spring while pedaling they wear quickly. If the cleats are in a neutral position there is much less wear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.