Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pedal To The Metal
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I got a little wobble in my right pedal. It moves about 2 mm in and out from the crank arm. The cone bearing spins flawlessly and sits straight in place. The movement is in the lock bush, the part which screws the axle into the pedal body with a 17 mm nut. As you can see in the pic, the left pedal has a 2 mm green vasoline colored space between the cone and the lock bush, On the right one the lock bush can be moved 2 mm from its original position down to the cone. I guess that the race on the axle that holds the lock bush in place is worn out. Am I missing something? Can it be repaired without replacing the axle? I've only cruised 200 km with them. Bought on AliExpress for 50 $, so no return and a doubtful chance for refund.
Greeting from Croatia.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also experiencing some movement in my shimano xt M8000 pedals. Its only on one side and i've pull everything apart and done a complete service and still get the movement. When I pull the spindle in and out a few times I can feel a bit of vacuum getting created with the grease. I even disassembled and switched the spindles around to try and narrow down the problem which still existed after switching spindles. This may tell me the problem is in the main pedal body. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
After some troubleshooting I diagnosed the issue seems to be the metal sleeve wasn't sitting tightly inside the pedal body. I flipped the metal sleeve around so the tapered end faces inward and it seemed to solve the issue. Fits snugly in there now without any movement.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
I've got the same issue on all my XTR pedals. After one started creaking I finally took it apart. You can source the bearings but that wasn't the issue, rather the race on the cone nut was toast. On my other pedals I've taken the play out by tightening up the cone nut/locknut ever so slightly. Seems to be working but I'm not entirely sure I haven't put excessive pre-load on the bearings either.

$50 for a replacement axle isn't too bad bad for premium pedals but the fact that you can't replace the dust seal is pretty lame.

·
Magically Delicious
8,878 Posts
Adjusting the cone nut is the only way to take up lateral movement. Ensuring the preload is correct is as easy as spinning the pedal following assembly. Too tight and it won't spin. The challenge is after you've serviced them (grease) they will have resistance to rotate as a result of grease, but you can feel if the resistance the preload or the grease.

Here's a cone nut that decided to deteriorate. Sh!t happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts