Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding clipless (Shimano M540) for about 2 months now. Maybe 45 miles a week?

Recently, I noticed a tremendous amount of play in one of the pedals. I took it apart, re-packed, etc and found the play was still there.

How long do pedals last in riding conditions like AZ?

I ride 4 times a week - mainly National. Nothing extreme. 3 foot drops max.

Is Southwest riding THAT hard on clipless pedals and should I expect to replace them this often with my riding style? Surely, pedals should last longer. Thanks

·
Meatpuppet
536 Posts
daugela said:
I've been riding clipless (Shimano M540) for about 2 months now. Maybe 45 miles a week?

Recently, I noticed a tremendous amount of play in one of the pedals. I took it apart, re-packed, etc and found the play was still there.

How long do pedals last in riding conditions like AZ?

I ride 4 times a week - mainly National. Nothing extreme. 3 foot drops max.

Is Southwest riding THAT hard on clipless pedals and should I expect to replace them this often with my riding style? Surely, pedals should last longer. Thanks
I've had the springs go [email protected] on one of my shimano spd's... but they were used when I got them and served me well for 1-2 years. Dry and dusty shouldnt be very hard on something like a pedal. Mud on the other hand would. Are you sure its not the regular degree of freeplay?

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dirtrodr said:
I've had the springs go [email protected] on one of my shimano spd's... but they were used when I got them and served me well for 1-2 years. Dry and dusty shouldnt be very hard on something like a pedal. Mud on the other hand would. Are you sure its not the regular degree of freeplay?
Well, seeing that I've never ridden clipless until now, it could be the freeplay, but I doubt it.

There's a noticible difference from right and left. One pedal is tight on the shaft, the other isn't. Ironically, the losse pedal is typically my forward pedal?

Maybe I'll just get another pair.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've put my Crank Bros Mallets through some serious abuse and never had a problem. They are a good compromise between platform and clipless too. Best of both worlds IMO... I highly recommend.

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
My second pair of crank brothers acids since January of this year are about to die, lots of freeplay in the right pedal, and the left is starting to sieze up. I'm done with crank brothers. They mainly see National but not 4 times a week, maybe half that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
you broke something . time for new pedals. performance bike shop has lifetime guarantee on their stuff. I dont feel bad returning stuff too them like this. REI
also.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,581 Posts
Crank Brother's pedals last me about a week.

Shimano pedals just don't develop play and get all loose, something is significantly wrong with it. CB pedals sometimes do, and even fall off of the spindle! I know how the shimano ones are put together, and there has to be some problem if they keep comming loose, they are pretty simple and roll smoothly for thousands of miles (years usually). I usually get about a year out of my pedals before I have to do something to them (end-cap rebuild for my 545s), but the pedal itself goes a long time. The only pedals I've had problems with are the CBs (well those and onzas like 15 years ago), and if you tend to hit rocks occasionally they are not the pedals to get, the design is too easy to damage and it also can easily eject your foot when it gets hit from below. There are people that get away with CBs just fine, but most people agree on the big S for all out strength and reliability.

I highly recommend the 545s, which are tough pedals that are encased in a big aluminum cage. I find that the end-cap assembly wears out after about a year (of hellish abuse and hits), but it can be ordered and the pedals keep going. One of my favorite comments from another rider was how he told me he could see sparks flying from the rocks when my pedals (545s) hit em. These things friggin crush rocks. Any pedal like this would probably be good, but my faves are the 545s. Other good ones are the old 646s, which have an even bigger platform/cage. There is the 647, which is the replacement for the 646, and it has a big tough resin-platform. There's also the cheaper 424, which has a plastic platform. All of these are good because they protect the pedal mechanism with something, so rock-scrapes and the such aren't such a big deal. No real experience with the Time Z (their version of the same thing), but they seem to make pretty durable pedals as well. In any case, these pedals might add a little weight, but it gives you a little more stability and protects the pedal.

4x a week on national is a lot of rocky riding. You're going to wear out a lot of stuff (pedals, suspension stuff, drivetrain stuff, etc) a good deal faster than someone who is riding that kind of terrain once a week or maybe even less. You either replace more, or use tougher components. There's a balance, but no perfection.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
daugela said:
Well, seeing that I've never ridden clipless until now, it could be the freeplay, but I doubt it.

There's a noticible difference from right and left. One pedal is tight on the shaft, the other isn't. Ironically, the losse pedal is typically my forward pedal?

Maybe I'll just get another pair.
Okay, really stupid question, because what you are describing does not sound this might be the case (nor do I even know if Shimano pedals and cleats have this), but does the cleat on the loose pedal have a star or something on it? Some pedals, I believe, come with a cleat that is easier to get out, and they recommend you put that on the foot you normally unclip with.

However, from what you describe, it's more play in the pedal on the shaft, so I could be way off base.

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
skinny-tire said:
Okay, really stupid question, because what you are describing does not sound this might be the case (nor do I even know if Shimano pedals and cleats have this), but does the cleat on the loose pedal have a star or something on it? Some pedals, I believe, come with a cleat that is easier to get out, and they recommend you put that on the foot you normally unclip with.

However, from what you describe, it's more play in the pedal on the shaft, so I could be way off base.
Yes, it's play on the shaft. I cranked them donw last night and it seemed to get a bit better, but if I tighten them anymore, I'll be sorry.

I'm convinced it's from the abuse of jumping and dropping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.