Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any one wanted to ride peavine on sunday. I'm looking for some one to show me around, and show me the nice down hill single track, shuttleing will be fine, i have access to two trucks. any one interested?

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Interrested. As a matter of fact, I was thinking of going up this afternoon to see how the trail conditions are- I spent the last two days under my sister-in-law`s trailer with a heat gun and a bucket of plumbing supplies, so I`m ready for a play day.

EDIT: Most roads and trails on the North side have snow, but plenty rideable. I didn`t see any other bikes, but there were way more tracks than I expected. No mud- snow has been melting very slowly and apparently sinking in or running off as fast as it melts. The East side is probably dry or at least close to dry. I`d love to go again on Sunday.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a call yesterday, and i have to work on Sunday, so it doesn't look like i'm going to be able to go, we'll have to try and plan for another weekend

·
Registered
354 Posts
....sorry for the late response. I ended up riding down in Folsom and then caught the crud the next day and have been recovering ever since. Still would like to know what conditions are like on Peavine for maybe this upcoming weekend. Ciao

·
Registered
279 Posts
We went to Reno last weekend. Rode peavine, it was niiiiice. You guys are so lucky out there. Went snowshoeing in Tahoe the next day. Talk about a slice of heaven!

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Pugdawg1 said:
We went to Reno last weekend. Rode peavine, it was niiiiice. You guys are so lucky out there. Went snowshoeing in Tahoe the next day. Talk about a slice of heaven!
Wow. Peavine has some really nice riding, especially for a "back yard" playground, but I never heard anyone get so excited about it before. Is most of the stuff around Lamoille off limits? How `bout Angel Lake? You guys have some super-nice country around you- that`s why it strikes me so strange to see you talk like that about Peavine.

I`ve been sticking to the North side of Peavine for the last few weeks, but I rode from the San Rafael/Keystone side today. It was great- a couple of little mud puddles and the rest was dry. Wrapping around to the Stead side, there was a little snow, but it`s disappearing fast. The trails were still maybe 30% covered (packed snow) just a few days ago, now it`s more like 3% covered. Still not very muddy.

BKN, I see that you posted to "Reno Roll All" but that thread takes ages to come up on my computer (very long and lots of pics), so I don`t know what you said there. I read NRSREX`s post via email notification, so I imagine yours has to do with riding Sunday. Hope so- maybe we can have a decent get together after all. I ended up working last Sunday too, but so far it looks like I`ll be off this Sun.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just enjoy riding in a new area... same ole same ole for you, but new to me! We have some great riding here. Lamoille and the Rubies are beautiful. Oh yes, love angel lake. But it's nice to go somewhere else. You guys have a nice variety there. Having Tahoe so close is neat, in my books at least. Though I couldn't believe how many people are up there. And it sounds stupid, but I'm not used to seeing others on trails. Around here, I rode for months on all sorts of singletrack before finally bumping into someone else that happened to be riding. Good points and bad points with that. I'm so used to having my only worry being maybe pissing off a badger. LOL I also enjoy riding the trails by the river. We don't have that here. It's nice.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rodar, i was wondering what the trail was like going from keystone, ie, elevation gain, terrain, and such. i dunno i'f i'm gonna be able to ride this sunday, we shall see

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Going up from Keystone to the antenas is a piece of cake- a little bit of climb, but very steady and even. From San Rafael to the antenas there`s a set of switchbacks that can be easily hike-a-biked in say 20-30 minutes if you get tuckered out pedaling- I ride these, but with several breathers along the way. When I go anywhere with my more downhill oriented buddies, they usually hike almost all the uphills and it doesn`t bother me at all to wait (I`m no marathon man myself). If all else fails, it would be possible to shuttle, but that seems a little bit on the silly side to me- there isn`t THAT much climbing. If you aren`t tied up, I really hope you go. There are miles and miles of ST up there- I ride Peavine frequently and every time I notice a new piece of ST that I hadn`t seen before. Any rate, I plan to ride Sunday. Unless someone suggests a diferent time or place, I`ll be at the Rancho San Rafael parking lot at noon (blue Toyota 2wd PU). Hopefully some others will show up and we can decide where to go or whether to shuttle depending on how much time is available and what we feel like riding. To get there, going West on MacCarran, turn right on N. Virginia and immediately left into the parking lot. I think it says "Reno Sports Complex". From San Rafael, it`s fifteen minutes or less by car to Keystone, Hoge Rd, Raleigh Heights, or Horizon Hills, so plenty of options. Rocdog? NRS?

EDIT: I`m probably also going Mon morning from Kings Row with the hike-a-bike gang. I`ll pass on info for that one if anybody is interrested. As of now, we`re meeting up at a house that`s kind of hard to find, but it would certainly be possible to meet at the trailhead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.