Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any of you guys had exsperince with the Kodiak Barrier Jacket. Its exspensive as hell but seems worth it. I ride in 30-40 weather with rain sometimes and piercing wind. If I hear enough good responces I will probally invest.

GOAT
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
goat said:
Was wondering if any of you guys had exsperince with the Kodiak Barrier Jacket. Its exspensive as hell but seems worth it. I ride in 30-40 weather with rain sometimes and piercing wind. If I hear enough good responces I will probally invest.

GOAT
I bought one last year and love it, I've used it down to 20 degrees (with proper layers) I really don't ride if its raining so I can't say anything about waterproofing. but its water resistant which is not the same as waterproof . In my experience waterproof coats don't breath and if you're riding hard you'll sweat and you Will want that sweat to dissipate. Also it goes onsale alot, check performance bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help

dan0 said:
I bought one last year and love it, I've used it down to 20 degrees (with proper layers) I really don't ride if its raining so I can't say anything about waterproofing. but its water resistant which is not the same as waterproof . In my experience waterproof coats don't breath and if you're riding hard you'll sweat and you Will want that sweat to dissipate. Also it goes onsale alot, check performance bike
Thanks for the help. I would shop at pricepoint but they do not have the 0'6 models. Call me a fashion divo, but the new black and red jacket mathces my race uniform!

GOAT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
I have an '02 PI Barrier jacket I picked up on eBay. I did my coldest ride ever in it the other night at 16 degrees, and I was lovin' it! I was actually sweating! When I first got it I was highly skeptical about how warm it would really be, because it's thin compared to my other, non-cycling, winter jackets, but man, it is warm! completely blocks the wind. I also like the reflective accents and the pockets and the form fit that doesn't allow blowing in the breeze like most jackets. Two thumbs up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I personally think the Barrier jacket is too warm for temps from 30-40. I'd be sweating like a pig if I used that jacket as one of my layers.
Even in temps down to 10 degrees I rarely use a jacket that heavy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its heavy?

PMC said:
I personally think the Barrier jacket is too warm for temps from 30-40. I'd be sweating like a pig if I used that jacket as one of my layers.
Even in temps down to 10 degrees I rarely use a jacket that heavy.
So its a heavy jacket, I was under the impression that it was lite but just well insolated.

GOAT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,943 Posts
No experience riding with jackets.

PMC said:
I personally think the Barrier jacket is too warm for temps from 30-40. I'd be sweating like a pig if I used that jacket as one of my layers.
Even in temps down to 10 degrees I rarely use a jacket that heavy.
Same here. My chest and arms don't ever get cold even down to Zero F with just a lycra/poly blend base layer, long sleeve insulated Castelli jersey and PI fleece pull over. Although, throwing rain and driving wind into the mix, I may want something a bit more wind/water proof than what I wear.

edit: I did add another short sleeve Zoic jersey over my Castelli today at Zero F, and a pair of old wool socks with the toes cut out on my wrist/forearms for a little added warmth, but the three layer combo at the top of my post is good down to 10deg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
KRob said:
Same here. My chest and arms don't ever get cold even down to Zero F with just a lycra/poly blend base layer, long sleeve insulated Castelli jersey and PI fleece pull over. Although, throwing rain and driving wind into the mix, I may want something a bit more wind/water proof than what I wear.

edit: I did add another short sleeve Zoic jersey over my Castelli today at Zero F, and a pair of old wool socks with the toes cut out on my wrist/forearms for a little added warmth, but the three layer combo at the top of my post is good down to 10deg.
I rode this week in snow with a thin summer weight base layer, thin long sleeve (again summer weight) jersey and my light weight Sugoi Transistion2 team jacket and I was unzipping stuff in 31 degree weather with snow falling as I was getting to hot.

When the temps drop another 10-15 degrees I'll wear a heavier jersey but keep the same light weight jacket.
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
the Pearl is NOT heavy, its so thin you'll think its not enough . its just warm. I would'nt say its too warm I used it all last winter. I'd say if its below 30 use it 30 and above don't
it will depend on how hard your riding, and what your wearing underneath. when its real cold 10-25 degrees I'll wear a polypro long underwear top, t shirt and the jacket, if it goes below 10 add a sweatshirt
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top