Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up the Pearl from Larry at Mtn High last week. This thing is alot bigger that the DHX Air. Got a chance to ride today for the first time. Not ideal conditions on the front range, but good enough for some initial impressions.

The Floodgate has 30 clicks of adjustment and the rebound has 58 clicks.( No, that's not a typo.) Setting sag required alot less pressure than the manual said to start with. Like 50psi vs. the manual recommending starting at 90psi for my weight.

Like most trails around here, it's climb, climb, climb then descend, descend. The spot climbed well with the Floodgate 15 clicks in from minimum, not quite as active with small bumps as the DHX, feeling kind of firm. But I'm sure I've got some experimenting to do with the different settings.

Descending was OK, had to stop and slow the rebound down a bit, then it felt a little better. I had the feeling that I was not getting full travel, and this was confirmed at the bottom when I was only getting 1.5 inches of shock travel, when I usually get close to the full 2 inches on the DHX. And this was with 30% sag, So I'm going to mess with the pressures and the floodgate settings to try and get full travel.

All in all, I think the Pearl shows promise. I need to really experiment with the settings and see what works for me. I keep the collective updated.

Later!

BTW: it weighs in at 330grams with reducers.

Attachments

·
My cup runneth over
2,427 Posts
Could just be me, but the Pearl looks like it got hit with the ugly stick at birth... Me? *warning - snob comment imminent:* If not ugly then, kind of 80s ish... You know you can't ride it if it doesn't up the poser value. :D

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
S-Works said:
Picked up the Pearl from Larry at Mtn High last week. This thing is alot bigger that the DHX Air. Got a chance to ride today for the first time. Not ideal conditions on the front range, but good enough for some initial impressions.

The Floodgate has 30 clicks of adjustment and the rebound has 58 clicks.( No, that's not a typo.) Setting sag required alot less pressure than the manual said to start with. Like 50psi vs. the manual recommending starting at 90psi for my weight.

Like most trails around here, it's climb, climb, climb then descend, descend. The spot climbed well with the Floodgate 15 clicks in from minimum, not quite as active with small bumps as the DHX, feeling kind of firm. But I'm sure I've got some experimenting to do with the different settings.

Descending was OK, had to stop and slow the rebound down a bit, then it felt a little better. I had the feeling that I was not getting full travel, and this was confirmed at the bottom when I was only getting 1.5 inches of shock travel, when I usually get close to the full 2 inches on the DHX. And this was with 30% sag, So I'm going to mess with the pressures and the floodgate settings to try and get full travel.

All in all, I think the Pearl shows promise. I need to really experiment with the settings and see what works for me. I keep the collective updated.

Later!

Cool... please keep us posted.

Now that I see the size of that stuff, I think I'll be better with a MC3.1 (if my dreams come true :D ). I'm only 140 in wet socks and my ride moves one inch of shock for each two and a half at the tail.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Even if you were a smurf, those are some insanely low pressures for an air shock. As others have said, please keep us posted. I'm moving up to 2' drops this summer and I now require a new rear shock as a reward for all my non-existent riding skillz. :D

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up... At first blush, aside from the pressure, that sure sounds like an RP3 review, at least in my experience.

I'm looking forward to hearing more as you get familliar with it.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
AK Chris said:
Even if you were a smurf, those are some insanely low pressures for an air shock. As others have said, please keep us posted. I'm moving up to 2' drops this summer and I now require a new rear shock as a reward for all my non-existent riding skillz. :D
From what I've been told by industry guru's, the lower pressures are due to the shock having a much higher volume than the Fox shocks.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Cool... please keep us posted.

Now that I see the size of that stuff, I think I'll be better with a MC3.1 (if my dreams come true :D ). I'm only 140 in wet socks and my ride moves one inch of shock for each two and a half at the tail.
That's okay Warp, just use 10psi and you'll be fine:p

Edit: On the MKIII Comp that I tried with the RS Ario, the required pressure was only like 60-70psi (although I didn't measure exact sag, just ballparked it).

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
bikerx40 said:
That's okay Warp, just use 10psi and you'll be fine:p

Edit: On the MKIII Comp that I tried with the RS Ario, the required pressure was only like 60-70psi (although I didn't measure exact sag, just ballparked it).
Sorry to highjack the thread... but it's related....

BikerX40... how good did you feel the Ario?? How good for a SP??

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
xjbebop said:
...but by the time you're done counting all those 'clicks', the sun will be setting...

...that's a lot of clicks...
I like the fact that it has a lot of clicks. Too often I feel that the 'ideal' rebound setting on my Vanilla RC and Float R might be between the detents, or that there is too many uselessly slow or uselessly quick settings and not enough in between. I wish that I had a total rebound range of, say, 15 clicks that would fall between my Vanilla's 4th and 7th click from full slow. I heard that Avy's are this way? I wish that Darren did this on my Push'd Vanilla RC. :(

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Sorry to highjack the thread... but it's related....

BikerX40... how good did you feel the Ario?? How good for a SP??
Poop , but keep in mind that RS considers it a lower-end shock compared to the MC's and Pearl series. I'm hoping that the Pearl doesn't have the top-out thwack that the Ario had (unless I resorted to overly slow rebound).

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
bikerx40 said:
Poop , but keep in mind that RS considers it a lower-end shock compared to the MC's and Pearl series. I'm hoping that the Pearl doesn't have the top-out thwack that the Ario had (unless I resorted to overly slow rebound).
I guess I'll keep an eye on the MC3.1....

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
It doesn't sound like it suspends well???!!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I wonder if you also need to give it a little time to break in. My 454 PIKE air was so tight out of the box that I don't feel like I have fully broken it in, yet. I had to slowly increase my positive chamber pressures as it was breaking in. Did you try it with Floodgate at minimum?

_MK

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
MK_ said:
My 454 PIKE air was so tight out of the box that I don't feel like I have fully broken it in, yet. I had to slowly increase my positive chamber pressures as it was breaking in.
I'm having the exact same experience. I started at the RS recommended range, which was like riding a rigid fork all over again. Then kept dropping till I got to about 120 psi and now I'm up to about 135 psi as it has broken in.

The fork feels great, but gets less and less sticky with each ride which has made me tweak the settings more than I'm used to. I'd guess in another 50 miles or so it would be fully broken in.

·
Banned
656 Posts
S-Works said:

Later!

what are the pros of this particular shock vs the better known ones? what was yopur reason for getting it?

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jaco said:
what are the pros of this particular shock vs the better known ones? what was yopur reason for getting it?
Isn't it obvious. It's the Poser/Snobish thing to do. Buy the latest stuff and look down at everyone else for not having it.

Besides, Squeaky is my hero! I'm trying to bring my Poser/Snob index up to his level, or down to his level. I always get that mixed up.

P.S. Darren likes the chasis and thinks it has potential.

·
Banned
656 Posts
S-Works said:
Isn't it obvious. It's the Poser/Snobish thing to do. Buy the latest stuff and look down at everyone else for not having it.

Besides, Squeaky is my hero! I'm trying to bring my Poser/Snob index up to his level, or down to his level. I always get that mixed up.

P.S. Darren likes the chasis and thinks it has potential.
ok.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.