Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Cycologist
10,063 Posts
Yes. Peanut butter is very good for you except a lot of it has a lot of sugar added. Go for the natural stuff. People may tell you it has a lot of fat but don't worry about it, I think it does but it's healthy fat, just like avocados.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Was intro'd to pb and honey on bread as a good hiker or biker boost in energy food.
I like pb on toast sometimes with my morning coffee, once in a while the old PBJ samich.

Ain't nothing wrong with it and it's fast and easy which is a key decision factor for me at times.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,183 Posts
I make sammiches with almond butter more often these days (no added sugar and a higher protein nut).

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I bought a load of PB on sale, and have since been trying to consume it. On a day when I planned on doing two 40+ mile rides, one in the morning and one in the evening, I tried to do apple juice and PB sandwiches in between as the meal, but my glycogen levels only lasted 30 minutes max on my 2nd ride. I was on fat burning mode for most of it, and any burst of energy I could do was only like a minute or two long, working off the energy from the still digesting and slowly absorbed nutrients.

I regularly do 40 mile rides, and my key to being able to ride with folks who are pacing for 10 mile rides* is to get my energy through fluids. I just fill up my 3L hydration bladder with lemonade, except that I use 2:1 glucose to sucrose, rather than straight table sugar, and add a bit of sodium to the mix. I didn't have this mix for that ride--thought I had premixed it in a bottle, but it was just straight water and I ended up gassed as a result.

Straight glucose has the benefit of absorbing directly into the bloodstream for immediate energy, but I think the body only absorbs it at a rate of 60 grams (224 kcal worth) in an hour. Sucrose has to be broken down into fructose and glucose, and the fructose has to broken down too, but I think the body can process 25 grams fructose (94 kcal worth) per hour simultaneously with glucose. Too much fructose and it just gets converted to triglycerides like alcohol does, and stored as adipose tissue (body fat). Not recommended for everyone, as some people are sensitive to unabsorbed fructose, getting upset stomach.

* I basically add a 13 mi commute by bike each way to join them.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I just went went to DirtRagFest in W.V. I was fueled the whole weekend (Fri evening to Sun afternoon) by coffee, bananas, blueberries, and PBJ sandwiches...I think I ate 7 or 8.

If I'm gonna be riding a bunch, I eat as much PB as I want.

I also put it in smoothies. As a veggie, I eat PB and Almond Butter to get extra protein.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
I forgot to mention ....

My wife keeps a supply of Oreo cookies at home for the grandkids.
I regularly dip into them for an evening treat or after dinner sweets with a coffee and when I say dip,

I mean I dip them in the peanut butter jar with a nice swipe. Oreos with pb frosting ! :D

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. Peanut butter is very good for you except a lot of it has a lot of sugar added. Go for the natural stuff. People may tell you it has a lot of fat but don't worry about it, I think it does but it's healthy fat, just like avocados.
How do I find natural peanut butter? What is the brand?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Cycologist
10,063 Posts
How do I find natural peanut butter? What is the brand?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I can find it in most grocery stores around me, just look for "Natural" on the label. Most of the major peanut butter companies now offer it. And check the ingredients, like most food at the grocery store, the fewer ingredients, the healthier it is.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I like PB, but have switched to Barney's almond butter. Comes in flavors too... like chocolate (but it's light flavoring)! I think nut for nut, almonds and peanuts are about the same nutritionally (in the raw). But there seems to be a better (healthier) selection of post processing/manufacturing options for almonds than peanuts.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I gave an extra PB and banana sandwich to a bonked XC rider, who was practicing at Sea Otter... seemed to work for him. I haven't bothered bringing them since, but maybe for a 3+ hour ride, after I get bored of more rapidly absorbed dried fruit snacks.

I eat an embarrassing amount of natural PB off the bike.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I gave an extra PB and banana sandwich to a bonked XC rider, who was practicing at Sea Otter... seemed to work for him. I haven't bothered bringing them since, but maybe for a 3+ hour ride, after I get bored of more rapidly absorbed dried fruit snacks.

I eat an embarrassing amount of natural PB off the bike.
Why don't you use a spoon instead of your bike?

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Does anyone still eat peanut butter sandwiches?

I haven't touch peanut butter for very long time.
would it be good for bikers?
I love it. I eat PB&J sandwiches, and like an English muffin with peanut butter in the morning. Before long rides or events, I'll have a toasted bagel smothered in peanut butter. Sometimes on long rides, I'll carry a couple Crustables - frozen, crustless PB&J sandwiches...brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.