Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday am, early, I made my way to the USFS campground Camp Dick/Peaceful Valley for what turned out to be a fantastic ride. It was about 8am and the thermometer was reading 52 degrees. Maybe it was the coffee or just the anticipation of riding, but I was fine in a SS jersey and shorts. I warmed up quick. The ride started in Peaceful Valley and climbed approximately 1500 feet to the boundary of the Indian Peaks Wilderness. At the wilderness boundary, you're just under timberline and it's the end of the valley. It's surrounded by high peaks from 10000-13000 feet. I couldn't see any of the peaks, but it was even more surreal and awe inspiring. I had been riding under threat of rain all day, but none had come. From my vantage point here, I could see the clouds settling in amongst the peaks. It was very serene.

After soaking in the view and a short snack, I crossed the waters and made it over to one of the more technical trails in the area - Buchanan Pass. The bike legal section of Buchanan Pass is 4 mile, 1500 feet mostly slow speed technical trail with tons of rock and boulder gardens. It's a beautiful trail. I was worked when I got back to the trailhead, but I was fully sated.

I tried to snap some pics that would illustrate the riding in the area. Hope you enjoy them!

These first shots are of the climb up and the clouds at the top.

Attachments

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
great ride! i love buch pass; only wish it were longer (the bike legal section) still, it's a nice quicky if i'm in a hurry, and don't want to hit hall yet again. i can usually be at the trailhead in 30-40 minutes from my place.

glad you got a nice one in!

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Coney Flats?

ignazjr said:
Here's a couple of shots of the descent - Buchanan Pass Trail. I would've taken more, but I was having too much fun riding. :D
Hi Dave:

Nice Pics!

Did you take Coney Flats Road up? That road has about a million baby heads, but I like it. When I took my friend, Phil, on that road, he hated it. About half way up he tossed his bike into the woods. On the way down, he cracked a wheel. :)

I'm never able to ride most of the Buch. Pass trail -- just too technical for me, but maybe some day. (I keep trying.)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
A friend and I rode from Peaceful Valley up Sourdough to Wapitit-Baptist back to Sourdough on Sunday. Like LeeMan said about a million baby heads.
How do you get to Buchanan Pass from Sourdough? We missed a turn and ended up at the 507, Cty rd 96 juction and backtracked to Sourdough, etc.
It was the first time I've riden that trail and it was great. We just barely beat the rain back to the truck.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
FYI....heading up there today for any interested parties.....

from the Camp Dick/Peaceful Valley lot. The little pullout just before crossing the wooden bridge.

Probably go up/down Buch pass trail, munch some food at the car, then do a loop of Sourdough/SSV/Peak-to-Peak back to the car.

I'll be there anywhere from 11-1130AM before taking off.

Dave

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sandan said:
A friend and I rode from Peaceful Valley up Sourdough to Wapitit-Baptist back to Sourdough on Sunday. Like LeeMan said about a million baby heads.
How do you get to Buchanan Pass from Sourdough? We missed a turn and ended up at the 507, Cty rd 96 juction and backtracked to Sourdough, etc.
It was the first time I've riden that trail and it was great. We just barely beat the rain back to the truck.
I rode from Camp Dick up Sourdough a little and took the Beaver Lakes cutoff trail (about 1/2 way up the first climb it goes to the right in an uphill, left hand switchback). That trail climbs some more and comes to CR 96 right at Beaver Lakes. Immediately at that point, Coney Creek Road heads up and west to the Wilderness Boundary. At the Boundary, head north up and over a ridge and it'll drop you to the Buchanan Pass trail.

It's a great way to do the loop. Done this way, you're still on 70% singletrack. There is tons more riding to be done out of Camp Dick. Babyheads and rocks are pretty much a part of life in that area. I like them, but not everyone does.

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Glad that it wasn't wet...

Buchanan can be scary-when-wet :eek: Looks like a great time, hopefully I'll get over there before the snow flies. The Coney Flats Rd. isn't my favorite, makes the Sourdough look smooth and buff in comparision, but it sure is pretty up on Coney Flats. It would be nice if there was a connector from the Coney Flats-cutoff singletrack to the Middle St. Vrain jeep road, would be a killer downhill!! :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.