Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend's new Blur's pivots loosened twice on last 2 rides. The 2nd ride he lost a bolt and had to limp back. Did'nt say it to him but thought to myself, I'm glad I bought a Turner(Flux).

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
less wrenching time on Turner = more riding time!

I have an old school Heckler myself, so a slight affinity towards the brand remains. I bought both the Heckler and a Turner (Flux) based on what was said on MTBR.com and am happy with my decision(s). Not to mention Turner's excellent customer service record, which I found out first-hand: I cracked both pivots on my flux but a call to Turner and I was back on track in under a week - even with International shipping! (I will one day get around to posting those pictures on my much earlier thread...)

Based on that research, plus my own test rides (I test rode a Blur in Moab two years ago and REALLY liked it) and the experiences of several of my friends on various iterations of Blur's over the past two years (about seven of them own Blur's), all but one have had VPP linkage issues and one had cracked a frame (which was replaced, but it was a 6 week delay.)

I enjoyed the performance of the VPP. However, I remain concerned with the high-maintenance issues regarding the VPP pivots... and this makes me happy to have a Turner with the zerk-fittings! It doesn't get any easier than that! :)

·
My cup runneth over
2,424 Posts
Hockeygod said:
Not to mention Turner's excellent customer service record, which I found out first-hand: I cracked both pivots on my flux but a call to Turner and I was back on track in under a week - even with International shipping! (I will one day get around to posting those pictures on my much earlier thread...)
Hey HG, did you actually crack the PIVOTS? That seems a little strange - more info and pics please. :)

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
Oops - rocker arms, not pivots!

Rmac,

My bad... :madman: the rocker arms would be the correct words I believe... the older I get, the more alzheimerish I get... what was I just saying?!

Anyways, I started a thread on this at the end of April / start of May before I did a roadie to Spokane WA... I still need to take some digital photos of my cracked arms as they were completely snapped in half on one side and cracked just about through on the other. Fortunately, I finished the ride with no other diasasters to myself or the bike... niot knowing what had actually happened because if I had noticed, I would have been walking!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rmac said:
While not trying to negate your point, but wouldn't just a minimum of maintenance have saved your friend a lot of trouble?
It was his 1st and 2nd ride on the new bike. 1st ride bolt loosened and subsequently
re-tightened. 2nd ride same bolt loosened, fell out, and was lost. Nothing against Santacruz, I just don't think a new Turner would have left the factory with loose pivot bolts.

·
My cup runneth over
2,424 Posts
bikenut316 said:
It was his 1st and 2nd ride on the new bike. 1st ride bolt loosened and subsequently
re-tightened. 2nd ride same bolt loosened, fell out, and was lost. Nothing against Santacruz, I just don't think a new Turner would have left the factory with loose pivot bolts.
I didn't realize it was the 1st and 2nd ride - scary quality control.:nono:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.