Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Flying High Again
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After iffy weather all week, I hit the jackpot with a lovely cloudless Sunday morning. The plan for today was to ride from the Swiss side over to the far French side of Les Gets in the Portes du Soleil region. I almost bailed on the plan several times as I did not think I had enough time to make it back to the Swiss side. It's a hell of a lot of traversing across the region but the DH courses at Les Gets are the best around (and on the sunny side = no mud!). It's quite an effort (and risk) to get to the other side and back. Worse case, in the event of a major mechanical failure or thunderstorm, I'm stuck in France for a night!

Here's a timeline of a typical day for me:
09:45 late start, leave house
10:10 stuck in traffic jam thanks to contruction work on Glion tunnel
10:45 arrival at Les Crosets (Swiss side)
11:00 first lift up to Mosette
11:10 descent towards Les Lindarets (France)
11:30 arrival in Les Lindarets, begin descent to Morzine via road & some trails
12:00 arrival in Morzine
12:15 lift up Morzine
12:30 arrival on top of Morzine, begin traverse across top to Les Gets side
12:45 descent to Les Gets
13:00 arrival at Les Gets, take lift up Mont Chery side
13:15 arrival at midstation, take chair up to Mont Chery
13:30 arrival at Mont Chery, first run down DH course
13:45 arrival at chair, second lift up
14:00 arrival at Mont Chery, second run down DH course
14:30 flat tire, quick tube change, then complete descent to Les Gets
14:45 leave Les Gets towards Morzine via road
15:00 arrival in Morzine, begin lift up Super-Morzine side
15:15 begin traverse/descent towards Les Lindarets
15:30 wrong turn! backtrack (climbing!) towards trail to Les Lindarets
15:45 lift up from Les Lindarets to Avoriaz
16:00 descent from Avoriaz to Mosette lift
16:15 Mosette lift up to Swiss side
16:30 ---lifts close---, and begin final descent back to Les Crosets
16:45 arrival in Les Crosets, pack up, head home
17:00 McDonalds (yum!) before hitting the highway
17:30 stuck in traffic again at Glion tunnel (worse coming home)
19:00 arrive at home

A view from the top of Mont Chery in Les Gets.....

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Riding plans for Les Gets are scuppered?

Ripzalot said:
11:00 first lift up to Mosette
13:30 arrival at Mont Chery, first run down DH course
Looks like getting across to the Jets in September for the world's might be tough if it takes 3 hours from Champery. It might be best to drive from Geneva which is an hour. Or, we could hike-a-bike to Col de Cou and decend directly to Morzine which might save some time. Or, get a room in Les Gets and mingle with the stars!

PS. You're getting slack with your photos...

·
Registered
165 Posts
yeah, only one photo! holding out on us.

which track did you take to get to les gets from morzine? did you do the road, or did you hit the woods for the tennis court track? that track is pretty nasty in the wet, but loads of fun nonetheless.

·
Flying High Again
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SwissBuster said:
Looks like getting across to the Jets in September for the world's might be tough if it takes 3 hours from Champery. It might be best to drive from Geneva which is an hour. Or, we could hike-a-bike to Col de Cou and decend directly to Morzine which might save some time. Or, get a room in Les Gets and mingle with the stars!

PS. You're getting slack with your photos...
well, there is a (slightly) faster way to get there. for a day of riding, we should get to les crosets early (opening) and scoot across as fast as possible. but for the vtt champs, i think a drive over might be in order, depending on how the race schedule looks. we'd have to leave by 3:15pm latest and hope for no flats or other delays along the way back. i think the last lift back to Switz is 4:30pm.

<narlus> said:
yeah, only one photo! holding out on us.

which track did you take to get to les gets from morzine? did you do the road, or did you hit the woods for the tennis court track? that track is pretty nasty in the wet, but loads of fun nonetheless.
not sure - i went up from the top station at morzine and across (left/south) through the woods by the golf course then down into les gets. fortunately, most of the les gets tracks are in the sun, especially the top bit at mont chery. i've had my fill of mud (and endos) for one season. :p

photos, yeah well, i had a "rut ro" moment when i noticed by camera case was not attached to my camelbak while riding a lift up. fortunately, i had my camera in hand at the time. i must have dropped it off the lift. i looked for it but pretty impossible to spot from above. some marmot probably has it down in their hole somplace. so from then onward the cam has been buried deep inside the pack, not so easy to whip out. i'll have to get that fixed asap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts