Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been thread-o-plenty on this topic but I will ask the question a little more direct.

For those of you who had a choice when buying any frame in PC or ANO, what were your specific reasons for going with one over the other?

I am in a decision process now and have placed the order for the blue ano spot. The bike won't be ready for a few weeks so I still have time to change the order if I want to either a silver or a black PC spot. I just want to see why you homers would choose PC over ano or vice versa.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,881 Posts
Depends, I've seen lame "plastic" powdercoats that were easily worn by cables and almost anything that came in contact with it. I've also seen much harder "ceramic" ones that were very resistant to wear.

Anno is not consistant for color, and there are different types of anno treatments, things that can be done to "hard anno" them, so they may wear off faster or be more durable depending on the exact treatment.

It's not clear cut, sorry.

Turner is probably going to do it right. A decent powder coat that is durable will weigh more than an anno treatment, but you'll always get more wear with anno from rubbing.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
It's actually a good question. I would be very happy to continue with PC since my silver and white Turners look freaking beautiful even after many thousands of abusive miles. Barny's black PC on the other hand shows scratches easily. I think light colors lend themselves better to PC.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I got one of the "trial" Anno frames a while back. I had the choice... I chose anno for a few reasons. It doesnt scratch like paint.. even PC paint. Its also lighter... so i can carry more gear and not feel it i guess. I also chose becuase it was different. Ok, thats the real reason. I wanted to be one of the few with an anno spot.

What ive learned since owning it? It does scratch.. to silver metal below..much easier to see than PC scratches. Its lighter, yes, except for my rough anno finish holds alot more crud than a smooth PC frame. Maybe the new anno will be better for that.And for being special? I guess with new frames being anno Im no longer special, but I dont care that much, soon my spot will take a back seat to my new Raw unpainted or un anno'd frame.... :) If i was to decide it again,..... i would still go anno.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Good question.

I chose PC (silver) becuase I know that whenever I want, I could have it refurbished & look like new again.
I don't know if that is possible with an anodized frame. As far as I know, if it gets scratched (and it WILL) than the scar is there to last.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
If given the option, I would go PC because of the virtually unlimited number of color choices. I'm getting ready to have my Spot refinished and I'm definitely going PC. A good shop can make it look awfully good -- see Spectrum.

Anno is cool looking, but all the frames I've seen are either streaky, or are a little darker on the welds or both. From what I've read, because of the chemical treatment prior to finishing, anno is a one time job too. So if you get it redone you'll have to get it painted or PC'd.

My Spot is currently black PC and like TS said it definitely does show every little scratch, so I would not go black again. But anno does wear too, and I've seen some hold up really wella nd others not so much. Its a finish that takes abuse so both will wear unless you ride on the roads all the time. But for me PC is the way to go.

And no offense, but the weight argument is completely ridiculous, anno is lighter by a couple of ounces -- something no one on the planet can tell the difference between.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
anno! that new blue is dead sexy! the end.

all these guys have made good points, specially jm. the weight issue is a issue indeed. sorry chris. paint or pc can add as much a 3/4 of a pound depending on who shot it and how thick it was laid down but its usually less, more like 1/4 to 1/2 lb, whereas anno is basicly a freebe in this respect.

another thing not yet mentioned is that anno can fade and most times will over the years. its also more prone to damage from some cleaning agents. not too many weeks back i used a orange type cleaner on a pals white bros black anno fork and was left with a streaky-faded grey, silver and black mess. wb has yet to accept responsibility for a crap anno job and offer up a new set of lowers. now this is a odd event in my experience so take it with a grain of salt as ive had killer anno jobs on frames and parts since my first bmx bikes in '76. wish i had a pic of my blue anno pk ripper from '79 or '80, i forget now.

did i mention i dig that new anno blue? the green is pretty sweet too. all that said, theres this bug in my head that tells me to buy anno-ther bike. a nice blue 5 spot. my 4th turner. i know, im sick in the head.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,881 Posts
They should make them black-chrome like the old schwinn sierras from more than a decade ago. Best "color" I've ever seen, stunning. Kind of like a polished dark metallic color.

Customer bought an Intense 6.6 from us a few weeks ago. Neon-orange. The worst color I've ever seen.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I have some questions:
On the '06 Ano finish, can it be PC'd later? I assume yes but does it have to be prepped by a third party or can it go directly to Spectrum?

Does preping an ano for PC cost extra?
Are there any limitations? (i.e. PC color selection over certain ano colors, 2nd re-pc later)
Should I just call spectrum and get my own freakin' answers?
Anyone know 127th decimal digit of Pi?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Bikezilla Anyone know 127th decimal digit of Pi?[/QUOTE said:
There was a guy in my class in high school who knew pi to 300 decimal places. Someone signed him up for the school talent show, and he actually showed up and recited it as far as he knew. It was hilarious, but I guess you had to be there.

·
12,942 Posts
mornin zilla.

as far as i know you can pc over anno in any color. it should be deep enough to cover darks with lights and i think ive read that no prep work is needed in one of dt's posts on the subject not long ago. my scientific calculater got ripped off along with some other tools at my last sheetmetal fab job or id have that answer for ya.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Thanks CC, I vaguely recall something about prepping a frame for PC but somehow I'm confusing it in my mind with etching a frame before the Ano process. I guess I'll have to stop being lazy use the search feature to peice this together... MTBR access from work is redic-u-slow.

·
12,942 Posts
heres what ive found pal.

dt says: In most cases anyone that wants a color other than the 2 offered on the Flux, Spot and RFX or the polished Gold of the Nitrous will be painted over the ano, so we have to recoup some $ for the double finish. Our plan is to stock 75% of the bikes in the primary ano color that from historical data we know will sell the best. Like a black Spot or dark grey RFX, the remainder will be stocked in the optional colors, like blue for Spot, green for RFX and burnt orange for Flux. Yes the painting will be done Olympic Powder Coating, they use the same brands of powder and state of the art ovens that anyone in the industry uses. There will be 10 optional paint colors.

not any mention of any special prep work here and we know him for bein a detail oriented guy so im goin with no. from what ive gathered, as long as the finish is smooth and clean, very friggin clean via a quick dip of chemical, it will take powdercoat. saw that in a vid ill go try and find for ya now.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The fading ano thing can be an annoyance. I have brown rims, stems, spokes, and other bits when the black ano finally got drilled by enough UV. I would get as light an ano color as possible, like I would PC.

I think CC may be a big high on his PC weight estimates. The Turners aren't painted on the rear triangle, and PC is not as heavy as all that anyway. If someone has numbers I would be curious, but I think that is not sufficiently worriesome on a Spot or Pack as to be a consideration.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
still couldn't tell the diffrerence

cactuscorn said:
all these guys have made good points, specially jm. the weight issue is a issue indeed. sorry chris. paint or pc can add as much a 3/4 of a pound depending on who shot it and how thick it was laid down but its usually less, more like 1/4 to 1/2 lb, whereas anno is basicly a freebe in this respect.
1/2 pound difference for just a front triangle?? I had a hardtail frame PC's a couple years back and the difference in weight was 200g. That's for an entire frame and they were both weighed before and after finishing. The finish was pretty thick too, filled in most of the weld beads.

But still, there isn't anyone here or anywhere else that can feel a 1/2 pound difference in frame weights. My only argument is to choose one over the other based on weight is laughable because ~227g is a difference that exists only on the scale and in someone's head. People aren't going to be stalled in the middle of a climb because the PC is holding them back.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
kinda like painting

Bikezilla said:
Thanks CC, I vaguely recall something about prepping a frame for PC but somehow I'm confusing it in my mind with etching a frame before the Ano process. I guess I'll have to stop being lazy use the search feature to peice this together... MTBR access from work is redic-u-slow.
The ideal surface for PC is raw AL, so you have to strip the old finish off or have it bead blasted. They shop that did my frames -- I've had 3 refinished with PC -- uses these soft plastic beads to blast the finish off. Sandblasting will probably be too harsh.

But I did it myself to avoid the upcharge. So I used one of those citrus strippers and took all the finish off. Once at the shop -- if I remember right because its been a couple years -- it gets a primer, the color, then the oven.

I had one done with a silver under red so the red looked metallic, it was pretty cool and before I had a digicam so unfortunately no pics. That zebra one does have the brain working overtime with finish options though. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.