Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm trying to install my SRAM 9-speed cassette (PG-990) on my Crossride wheels but when I tighten the lock ring, the 3 smallest cogs are not tight enough, they're still moving a bit. It doesn't seem normal to me...

So I skipped one bigger cog, just to see how far "down" the smallest cog drops, and it just says on the top of the hub, which is why it doesn't push down the others ones...

Everything is brand new, so no wear.

Am I forgetting something there?? (incredible as that could be... :cool: )

Btw, I didn't get any spacers in the cassette, is that normal?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did you buy the Crossride new? I bought a new one and noticed that it came with a spacer ring placed around the hub for the cassette. When I first put my PG-990 on (without that spacer), it was loose as yours is. I then took the cassette off and first placed the Mavic supplied spacer on the hub, then put the cassette on and it worked perfectly then.

I got this pic from an ebay auction for a new set of Crossrides. Note the black spacer ring at the base of the cassette hub. That's what you need to fix your problem.
https://www.supafan.com/images/d/03B6E4A6-3936-4A54-809A-B705AC584048.jpg

PS, this spacer is one reason I haven't bought any used Crossrides on ebay as most don't seem to have it shown in their pictures.

To answer your other question, there aren't any spacers on the PG-990 cassette.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr Whitedog dude, you're the man! :thumbsup:

I did actually get a spacer with the wheelset (bought from Wiggle.co.uk) but it looked like nothing (silvery piece of crap, wheelset is black) so I put it away when I opened the box 2 weeks ago and forgot about it... I'm lucky I never throw away anything :cool:

It works like a charm now! Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.