Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just saw this over on PB and think it's a fantastic idea, needs to be done here and expanded to include the forum so that those of us who don't wish to see anything to do with those motorised things don't have to and then in turn it would probably lead to less of us wondering in there "disrupting" the regular programming.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkb...-for-emtb-content-and-racing-disciplines.html

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Personally I think motorized content should be on a different site entirely. Mountain bikes don't have motors, pretty simple stuff.

Reactions: LyNx

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
I don't understand why people can't filter their own content, if I inadvertently click on a topic I'm not interested in I just click it away, no app necessary.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Unpopular opinion: I don't like it.

As consumers, and more often these days, the commodity, our worldview is shrinking into a hyper-focused bubble. It's now possible to find people, businesses, news, and products that align with your beliefs exactly. And the scary things on the outside, the things that make you uncomfortable, cause you to retreat to the safety of your bubble. It's a never ending, negative reinforcement loop that turns us against each other.

Example: You filter your bike news, and only participate in e-bike bashing threads. Your friends all hate e-bikes, too. Before you know it, you're making fun of the 55 yr old dude at the trailhead with his e-bike. But you didn't know he suffered a heart attack last year. You didn't know that he almost died. You didn't know that there is a trail named after him in this very system; one that he built when he was younger.

All I'm saying is talk to one another. Have real discussions. Like the article said, e-bikes are here, and they are now a part of mountain biking. So filtering them from your life isn't going to make them go away.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My thoughts:

Any association between bikes with motors and bikes without is a real problem IMO, but you can't put that cat back in the bag now... we'll see what the future holds, but those that want bikes off trails have been exploiting it since day 1.

PB just couldn't stick to their principles, after loudly proclaiming they wouldn't do e-bike content. Money is more important than morals... shocker.

MTBR never had any....

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Unpopular opinion: I don't like it.

As consumers, and more often these days, the commodity, our worldview is shrinking into a hyper-focused bubble. It's now possible to find people, businesses, news, and products that align with your beliefs exactly. And the scary things on the outside, the things that make you uncomfortable, cause you to retreat to the safety of your bubble. It's a never ending, negative reinforcement loop that turns us against each other.

Example: You filter your bike news, and only participate in e-bike bashing threads. Your friends all hate e-bikes, too. Before you know it, you're making fun of the 55 yr old dude at the trailhead with his e-bike. But you didn't know he suffered a heart attack last year. You didn't know that he almost died. You didn't know that there is a trail named after him in this very system; one that he built when he was younger.

All I'm saying is talk to one another. Have real discussions. Like the article said, e-bikes are here, and they are now a part of mountain biking. So filtering them from your life isn't going to make them go away.
I think that's a very valid point and I like it. However, I also think it a pretty giant leap between ridiculing older/handicapped riders and not wanting trails overrun with motorized bikes. In my experience assholes exist irrespective of what information they're exposed to.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
My thoughts:

Any association between bikes with motors and bikes without is a real problem IMO, but you can't put that cat back in the bag now... we'll see what the future holds, but those that want bikes off trails have been exploiting it since day 1.

PB just couldn't stick to their principles, after loudly proclaiming they wouldn't do e-bike content. Money is more important than morals... shocker.

MTBR never had any....
Agree 100%. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I understand what you are saying in general terms, but here is the thing we don't put hiking, equestrian, ATV/dirt bike content in our mountain bike feeds despite them all being legitimate trail users in various areas. I don't "hate" any of them. I just don't want to spend my time sifting through those other content streams to get my mountain biking info.

I'm not a fan of e-bikes for a lot of reasons, but if you are riding legally I'm not going to hassle you or make fun of you. Having a medical condition or having built a trail in a previous life is irrelevant to that question IMO.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think that's a very valid point and I like it. However, I also think it a pretty giant leap between ridiculing older/handicapped riders and not wanting trails overrun with motorized bikes. In my experience assholes exist irrespective of what information they're exposed to.
Agreed. My point may be a bit hyperbolic. I doubt any of us would make fun of a trail user with a disability (right?). Are your trails overrun by e-bikes? I'm asking in genuine curiosity. I've barely seen a couple in my area. And LBS that I frequent have sold maybe 10? I'm not saying it couldn't be a problem in the future, but it's just not a real thing that I'm seeing on the trails.

I understand what you are saying in general terms, but here is the thing we don't put hiking, equestrian, ATV/dirt bike content in our mountain bike feeds despite them all being legitimate trail users in various areas. I don't "hate" any of them. I just don't want to spend my time sifting through those other content streams to get my mountain biking info.

I'm not a fan of e-bikes for a lot of reasons, but if you are riding legally I'm not going to hassle you or make fun of you. Having a medical condition or having built a trail in a previous life is irrelevant to that question IMO.
This is what I'm talking about! By your own admission, you don't want to see e-bike related content in your mountain bike content. You lumped other non-bike related uses together, so is it too far of a leap to say you don't think e-bikes are mountain bikes? Or that they are different enough, at least, to be considered their own thing? That's fine if you don't! But others will argue that they are.

We have to talk about this stuff!

The reason I'm passionate about this, at the moment, is because I recently helped someone write a municipal ordinance that included definitions and permissions for e-bikes. We had a long night of discussions about it, and even though he was really against it personally, he decided to go ahead and add them into the permitted uses for a new trail system. The main reason being, PA has permitted them in state parks where bicycling is allowed, so long as they meet the definition of a "pedalcycle with electric assist." Personally, I'd rather be at the forefront of creating these rules and regulations than to just ignore the user group entirely.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I liked how they published the article after their north american audience had gone to bed.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
So, just saw this over on PB and think it's a fantastic idea, needs to be done here and expanded to include the forum so that those of us who don't wish to see anything to do with those motorised things don't have to and then in turn it would probably lead to less of us wondering in there "disrupting" the regular programming.
Seriously? Have we as human beings regressed so much that we cannot control ourselves from voluntarily entering another forum we don't agree with and attacking others, just because we don't like their choices? Mind you choices that don't even matter or affect you. FYI, that's called bigotry.

Maybe instead of trying to shelter yourself from everything you don't like or agree with, you should try some tolerance, compassion and acceptance.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,546 Posts
Personally I think motorized content should be on a different site entirely. Mountain bikes don't have motors, pretty simple stuff.
MTBR said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to WHALENARD again.
=sParty

·
No Clue Crew
7,639 Posts
I applaud PB's decision and immediately filtered e-bike content.

I don't hate anyone who rides an e-bike personally. Nor would I heckle or make them feel bad. But I don't believe they should be on MTB trails. And I don't want to read about them on MTB websites. I wish this site did the same.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.