Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting here at work...looking out the window...it's hour 27 of a 48 hour shift...

A paved bike path wanders in front of fire station 20 (ok...this part of it is actually sidewalk..but still)...I see riders of all shapes, sizes, colors, and speeds pass by the window...as I wish I were out in this wonderfully unseasonable weather of early August...there goes a mom on a fisher with full roadie outfit and helmet, with Jr. close behind in clothes and steed that match mom...it looks like a twisted MiniMe / Dr. Evil'ism. They only move at about 5 mph...but that's alot faster than this damn office chair.

Then I come to the realization that the reason I am stuck in this prison is that I am returning a favor to a coworker that saw fit to help me out and work while I went to Devil's Head with a bunch of Fun Hogs to drink beer, ride bikes, (crash said bikes), and partake of general debauchery.

So I sit and think about whiskey and ginger ale...and then just whiskey...I think about bent rotors, taco'd wheels, sommersaults in boulder gardens, scavanging parts to get racers on the trail...the taste of oak bark....about how some flat pedals and certain brands of crank arms suck huge, and brittle v'brakes that have vague ownership issues...about veggie wraps and keg'a'cues...about psychos and mouthwash...about hanging onto sideview mirrors in lieu of operating ski lifts and about losing grip of the bike once the lifts started running...about how unattended hamburgers quickly mutate into charcoal briquettes...about hot vietnamese chicks and large SRAM sales reps (not at the same time)...about portapotties and sh*t-tickets...about cigarettes at 1 a.m. and whiney assed "white trash" at 8 a.m....about pop up tents and smoke and ashes...

All the sudden....paybacks aren't such a b*tch....the smile that slowly appears on my mug as I think about such things is worth being stuck here for an extra 24 hours.

thanks guys...BGR rules!

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
Been there, brother

I was paying forward and missing a big group of my friends DHing at Sunrise. But then I thought of how nice it will be next week when I am at Whistler and my shifts are covered. 48's are a b!tch, but time off is sweeter. Where do you work Fireboy? I work for Mesa, AZ.
John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Behind our fire station here...

we have a BMX park. Bike to work, ride when time allows... that will be when I get back to work of course, sucks even more to be off the bike for months.

Annie

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time off is wonderful!!!

Birthday ride yesterday....3 hours of some of the best singletrack in Illinois...with 7 friends...what a blast.

Poor Annie!!! I hope you are back on the bike very soon!

OH...and I work for Peoria Fire Rescue in Illinois. I know a few of the guys from Mesa's Dept....I'm Deputy Commander of the Illinois Firefighters' Honor Guard and met them out in Colorado Springs (IAFF memorial) over the last few years.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Happy b-day fireboy!

BTW, same fireboy that used to go to AUK?

Oh yeah......I'll be taking my b-day ride as soon as I get off work! :D

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup...one and the same!

and Happy B'day to YOU as well!!!

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Thank ya.

BTW, me and a few others are still hanging out at AUK.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I go there from time to time...

but it's always empty...I'm not the night owl that some of the other folks are...

:cool:

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Yeah, I missed you by a few minutes. I just go in there while I am at work, never go in when I'm home, have better things to do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Actually it will be a while...

I'm pregnant, 7 more weeks to go. Yes Charlie America is going to be a father once more.

So by the time I'm in shape to get back on the bike it will be winter here so no biking until next spring for me. But on the bright side, next summer I'll have all the time in the world to go riding with our boy since I'll only be working part time at night while Charlie is home with the kid.

Lots of road during the week and dirt on weekends... Charlie's doing all the riding this season, next year is my turn. :D

Annie

fireboy said:
Birthday ride yesterday....3 hours of some of the best singletrack in Illinois...with 7 friends...what a blast.

Poor Annie!!! I hope you are back on the bike very soon!

OH...and I work for Peoria Fire Rescue in Illinois. I know a few of the guys from Mesa's Dept....I'm Deputy Commander of the Illinois Firefighters' Honor Guard and met them out in Colorado Springs (IAFF memorial) over the last few years.

·
Registered
922 Posts
WOW Two Old Time MTBR'er in the same post!!!!!

Happy Birthday Fireboy and Congrats to Tiny Tank and CharlieAmerica

remember dirtdiva from the old chat days?

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I should stop by here more often...or...

..turn on my icq!!!

That tells you how long it's been since I've chatted with CA. I didn't even know you guys were expecting...that's awesome!!!! Congratulations!!! I bet you can't wait for him to be changing diapers while you're out railing singletrack..lol...

and yes...I remember DirtDiva from chat...along with AkunaMatada, poptart, mac, annie, spanky, etc...from the old "MTBR Chat - breakfast club" days.

=]

stay safe!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do I remember?!?!

Yes I remember. It's been a long time since but how could I forget the great Texan hospitality. How is Poptart?

Fireboy, I don't think he's got icq on his work machine but you sure can find him on MSN if you have it and he's on line right now.

Annie

·
Registered
922 Posts
poptart moved to Indiana several years ago. I guess that makes her close to fireboy now. I get email once in a while.

I got an email from TRex this week too. He's still in southern CA.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
of ol' timers and chatrooms in the day....

CycleMainiac said:
I got an email from TRex this week too. He's still in southern CA.
FreeRangeChicken!!! I miss him...and the rest of the gang. I still chat and visit pedro (simon) from time to time...and talk with DFA and CNG (Neo) every so often.

tt,

thanks!! I'm stuck at work and can't get to my MSN account...but I will hunt him down soon....

·
Registered
388 Posts
so where is some of the best singletrack in Illinois? my inlaws live in peoria. i've almost given up bringing my bike there when i go back to visit. used to go to detwieler a long time ago but now its closed to bikes.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Peoria is the Mecca in Illinois

dirtdonk said:
so where is some of the best singletrack in Illinois? my inlaws live in peoria. i've almost given up bringing my bike there when i go back to visit. used to go to detwieler a long time ago but now its closed to bikes.
My favorite rides around P'town go in this order:

1. Farmdale Reservoir (East Peoria, IL) - everything from open fireroads to northshore
2. Independence Park (Marquette Heights, IL) - sweetest singletrack around
3. Dirksen Park (Pekin, IL) - technical with steep climbs and tricky sections
4. Jubilee State Park (Brimfield, IL) - one word..."average"

all are within a 15 minute drive of downtown Peoria...all have different styles....all of them have good mileage.

We are even openning a new mountain cross course at Farmdale reservoir...
check out the site for more info: www.pambamtb.org

and if you need a riding partner...just leave a message on the PAMBA site above.

terry

·
Registered
388 Posts
thanks for the insight. glad to see you feel the same about jubilee as i. i'll check in with pambamtb next time i come that way. can always use a riding partner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts