Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all:

For those of you running this hub/crank/freewheel (Paul/WI/WI) combo, can you tell me what spindle length you used to get a good chainline?

Thanks very much,

-pete

·
Registered
245 Posts
68-mm shell(Ritchie NIti) white industries cranks 113 length. It is normal for some extra threads to show on the bottom bracket unless your shell is 73-mm (sheldon brown) Bottom line worth every penny very Smoooooth.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, between 113 and 118 mm, at least one person's chainline is off a little bit or BB allows for adjustment. My intentions are to use a good ol Shimano UN73. I have a 115mm at home which I might as well try, especially considering the numbers I'm seeing here. It should be close but if the offset is too much I'll then know what I need.

Your inputs are putting me in the ballpark, thanks everyone.

-pete

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Well...

pahearn said:
Hey all:

For those of you running this hub/crank combo, can you tell me what spindle length you used to get a good chainline?

Thanks very much,

-pete
According to Paul his rear hub is designed to give a 52mm chainline. I've measured my rear Paul rear hub with a WI freewheel cog and it gives a 54mm chainline. Anyone know what's up with this? Are WI hubs pushed outboard a bit causing a wider chainline?

Mike

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mike:

This is exactly why I brought up the question, it's not like all freewheels have the same width so I'm not sure where that value came from. I'm glad you mentioned your WI freewheel though because after re-reading my post I realized I said "ENO cranks" instead of "ENO drivetrain".

Anyway, what spindle length are you running and does it look pretty good?

-pete

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Depends on the crankset...

But running an older XT splined 113 BB and cranks seemed to work with the front ring on the outside of the spider (I think it was the outside). With a set of RF LPs, with a square taper 113 BB I recall having to run the front chainring on the inside of the spider. That's one reason I like to use cranks with spiders, you have some room to play with your chainline by setting up your rings on the inside or outside of the spider. Let us know what you end up doing. Oh yeah, I also have a RF ISIS on an SKF. I think the SKF is a 108mm (not 113) with the ring on the outside of the crank. It's all pretty crazy and can be a huge PITA. With my King SS rear hub I have none of this grief!

Here's what I'd recommend. Get your rear wheel all set up, hub and freewheel. Mount it on the bike and measure what chainline your cog gives you. That's the "limiting reagent", that ties you down to the chainline you'll need. If you use a Paul and ENO FW I'd bet it comes in at around 54mm and not 52. (That's for the non-disc hub, but I do think both disc and non-disc hubs give the same chainline.) ONce you know what chainline you need base on your rear cog call WI and ask them what BB spindle length you'll need to get the proper chainline.

Hope it all works out.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.