Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm hoping to get a consensus from this board ;)

I'm running a Paul Word hub (rim brake) on an older steel bike with semi horizontal rear dropouts.

With my current gearing (34x18), I'm running into an issue with the chain length and the mounting bolt location within the droppout.

Running with a shorter chain, the mounting bolt is too close to the front of the dropout. Adding a link causes the Paul brass washer "gizmo" to bottom out in the back of the dropout.

I believe if I ditched the washer gizmo, I could get the proper chain tension (I just need a hair more).

So my question is, what risk is there to ditching the Paul washer gizmo for a traditional serrated washer?

Or, are the other suggestions you could offer? (e.g., filing/grinding the gizmo)

(I'm trying to work with what I have and not add a half-link. Also, filing the dropout is not an option.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers~
Joe

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Joe Steel said:
Thanks for the responses guys.

The AngryAsian idea looks great. But since I'm not a machinist ;) , it looks like a bit of work.

Cheers and thanks again.

Joe
There are more local machine shops and machinists than you know that are always looking for work. Many colleges also have machine shops that might accept some outside work

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Joe,
This may sound a bit more expensive but perhaps changing the gearing ratio? Using a tensioner? I don't think that removing the washer will leave you with a decent contact area for the hub. Contact Paul Price maybe he's got a better solution.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've been running the Word hub without the brass washer for several years, to allow for some chain tension adjustment on a vertical dropout. Ideally you can just replace the Pauls brass washer with one from another hub (like a White Ind version) so you have a reasonable surface area to bit into the dropout. I actually used some QR ends (the nice ones with a steel serrated inserts), drilled them out to take an M8 bolt, and used longer screws because the QR ends I had were pretty thick.

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
itsdoable said:
I've been running the Word hub without the brass washer for several years. Ideally you can just replace the Pauls brass washer with one from another hub (like a White Ind version) so you have a reasonable surface area to bit into the dropout.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.

I got a nice long (~20 mi.) test ride on 'er over the weekend as is (with the brass insert/washer installed). It worked fine as is, and I never dropped the chain. But I suspect with any amount of chain stretch, I'll start to have issues.

Cheers, and thanks again for the replies.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.