Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Paul Word Hub and 6 speed freewheel?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BrianMc 
#1 ·
Amazon.com : Shimano 6-Speed Tourney Bicycle Freewheel Replacement Cluster - MF-TZ : Bike Cassettes And Freewheels : Sports & Outdoors

Hey guys looking to put this on my commuter, I do not need 9, 10, or 11 speeds on this bike. It has a 36x16 on it now and it would benice to have a small range and a nice bailout gear.

Is this going to work on a Paul WORD freewheel hub? I assume the wheel will have to be slightly redished? Or is there even enough threads on a hub like this for it to work?

The 6 speed is nice but if I can do the 7 speed I will, the ratios are more inline at 14,16,18,20,22,24, and 34.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Have you tried contacting Paul directly? I think they'd know better than anyone...and I'd trust them more than random internet weirdos.

But speaking as a random internet weirdo, I think the issue wouldn't be the threading so much as the hub spacing. If it's already a 135mm hub it's going to be too wide with a multispeed freewheel on there. 6speed hubs normally have that 1" of extra axle spacers sticking out on the driveside. (I think, but I really have no idea)

#3 ·
I would guess there isn't enough room to put a cassette on there. Contacting Paul Comp. is the way to get the best answer.

Personally, I run a 20t White Ind. Eno freewheel, Paul Comp. Melvin chain tensioner and a 24x36x44t triple. A similar set-up might work for you. The White Ind. freewheel is pricey, but worth the cost because they're serviceable.

#5 ·
If you need a bailout gear, you could get a WI Dos ENO and a double crankset. As long as the chainrings are 2 teeth apart, you don't need a different chain, and changing ratios is as easy in most cases as just loosening the RH bolt on the rear wheel and flipping the chain over.

It is an incredibly expensive way to get a bailout gear, for sure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.