Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So even though Hope has been very helpful getting me replacement parts and helping me with getting a brand new hub, I am very much wanting the same reliability I get with my Chris King 135mm hub.

What is THE best 170mm hub on the market with regards to being over built and bombproof? Don't care about weight!!! I need durability.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul and I9 both use the same driver so they should be similar in quality.

Both of those two are great and don't forget about White Industries, I have always had great luck with their hubs as well and they have a 170mm option too.
Ahh...forgot about white. I know Paul and I9 have the same driver, but Paul uses massive bearings which I like. Forgot to mention I am a 240lb aggressive rider too.

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I love my I9's both the old style and the new and I have never had a problem of coarse my new style Torch has been sitting in the basement with only about 2 miles on it cuz I haven't been able to ride. All that being said I9 was having bearing and spacer issues with the new Torch hub series and I think they got it remedied but you being a bigger feller and tough on hubs I don't know if the I9 would be a good fit. Hell I even steered clear of i9 for my new fatty build and I'm kinda a fanboy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love my Paul its on the heavy side but its really a awesome hub. I've heard Hadleys are more of a race hub and require more maintenance. But since I've never used a set I can't say anything more than what I've heard which may be very wrong!
Anyways I love my Paul RHUB

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Between my SO and I we have three fat wheelsets, all laced to 165 Hadleys...they see 12 month use and live outside. All three have been rebuilt once in their 3 to 6 year lives, the oldest is due for its second rebuild...no biggie there, routine maintenance is to be expected. However, not sure why, but the spacer-caps routinely loosen, allowing potential infiltration of contaminates...this has also led to a torn seal when I opened one the rest of the way to check for dirt in the mechanicals....Dunno why it happens or of other brands have the same issues, but I'm not impressed with the loosening caps...otherwise my Hadleys seem pretty well bomb-proof.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the feedback...and have decided that the Paul looks like the best Clyde solution right now. They are having to redesign the rhub right now due to I9 redesigning their free hub system.it is going to be a while before they are finished with the redesign.

·
sluice box
990 Posts
Just bumping this up, back from the dead.

I currently have Hadley (winter) on 70s and Paul hubs (summer) on 45s.
Question is would either be better suited for wet sloppy snow winter use or muddy silty wet summer use?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.