Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about this?

Since I bought my 09 EC my riding has elevated, and I have been wanting to charge downhill even faster, and catch more air. If I knew this would have happened, I probably would have gone with the Path EC.

What I have been thinking is replace my 150mm RS Revelation with a 160mm Lyric, and pick up one of Cane Creek's new adjustable degree headsets so I can slacken the head angle closer to the Path's.

When I am descending I don't care about the seat angle, but I still enjoy climbing, so I am gonna totally jack up my uphill ability?

In reality I know I should just add a freeride bike to the stable, but the wallet dictates something different.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but unless you have a 1.5" head tube, those CC headsets aren't going to work for you. The way I read it was that you can get it to work with taper or 1.5s, but not 1 1/8 (which makes sense).

I think your other options are:
Eccentric reducer hardware (Bortis Yeltzen did this with his TM and lowered/slackered the bike)
Thinner pedals (effectively lower bb feel)
Change rockers? Not sure which El Ciclon you have...

Looks like you are already rockin' a 50mm stem on there..

·
Registered
410 Posts
I ride mine with a Lyrik and it works well without killing your climbing cause you can just lower it to 110mm on the climbs. I have the older rockers (130 I think) and it seems fine. I got my shock pushed and that seems to have helped a little.

I felt the same as you when I saw the Path bike - "I should have got that!". But honestly, my stock setup has been more than adequate. I rode it on our Deer Valley DH trails - we have a couple that are fairly steep and tech in places. The only thing that suffered was my rims and tires. It felt remarkably comfortable on that terrain. I tried to ride my old freeride bike that same day (a Yeti ASX with 666 fork) and it felt horrible. Much preferred my ciclon. Too bad Sherwood can't re-develop the Cuervo to be a little lighter or make a Ciclon with a few more inches of travel front and back. . . but the fact that he remains in business at all in his line of work, with his level of service, with frames that durable, based out of this country is amazing in itself, much less adding more to his plate.

So. . . try the extra slackness and plushness that the bigger Lyrik gets you before considering getting a new frame altogether. You'd probably use the Lyrik on the new frame anyhow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Character Zero- Not sure how I missed that, but that does put a wrench in things. I have the 5.5 in rockers.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am throwing the Lyrik on tonight so we will see how that goes. Hopefully, I can get a ride in tomorrow.

P-town- You ride out at Bootleg, right? What started this wondering "should I have bought the Path frame" is that drop near the bottom third of Ginger. Depending how much speed you have it can be approx 5ft- 10ft, and it is a little before the "love canal". The friends and I sessioned that drop 20 or so times one day and I left with a fork that no longer functioned.

The wife was gracious, and the fork along with the RP23 were Pushed. I love what they have done, but they mentioned a Lyric might be more in line with how I am riding.

Thanks again, and we will see how this plays out.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
KTST - If you're riding has progressed that much and you're killing a 150mm fork, by repeatedly doing 5-10' drops, might I suggest that a T'Moto is more in line with what frame you should be running? You'd get the slacker Geo you wanted as well. I'd Call Ventana and talk to T n Sherwood about a trade in. Could get away with just a Front Tri and rocker swap.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
KTST - If you're riding has progressed that much and you're killing a 150mm fork, by repeatedly doing 5-10' drops, might I suggest that a T'Moto is more in line with what frame you should be running? You'd get the slacker Geo you wanted as well. I'd Call Ventana and talk to T n Sherwood about a trade in. Could get away with just a Front Tri and rocker swap.
I know that V moved RSutton from an El Ciclon to TM after he said he was repeatedly hitting 6ish (iirc) to flattish...

I wonder if you could keep the old rockers and have the 2008 ish geometry - 67.5* HA and the lower BB that goes with it instead of getting the more travel, 67.8*HA rockers that they changed to when they upped the travel to 160

·
Registered
410 Posts
I considered upping the rockers for reasons cited above, but when I realized what I liked most about the bike was the geo, I bagged it. I'd prefer lower BB and slackness to more travel. Just try to avoid any 5' drops to flat. It sucks aesthetically and for your bike and for your body. I love to watch people on the Diving Board on Porcupine. It's like some right of passage. . . the operative word being "passage". Get past it.

Make sure your seat stay yoke is beveled if you continue to push your EC. Mine was not and started to ding my seat tube on harsh G-outs, drops, etc. Sherwood has beveled this on new models and did so for mine and it's run flawlessly since. Also, make sure you have a reasonable headset for the application. Don't go getting all weight weanie on us there.

KTST, I actually don't ride BLC, but there are plenty of 5-10ft drops, gaps, etc around here I ride routinely on this setup and I think you hit the nail on the head - the fork failed, not the frame. See how it goes with your new fork and post an update!

Have fun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get out for a ride today with the Lyric, and once I finally got the air pressure dialed in, I was really liking it. Unfortunately, the trail I was on isn't one that I ride enough to use it as a good test loop.

We will see how things go after more time on the trail. It never occurred to me of the possibility that I could trade out the front tri, or move towards a TM. I love how we can give V and Sherwood a call, and try to work something out.

The TM could be a great move, as I am trying to chase friends that are on Demo 8s, and Giant Glorys.

I am still trying to experiment with different geometry, as I really do not have a great wealth of experience with different set ups. I know I what something a little more slack, but not sure how I want the BB height.

Thanks again for the opinions, and new ideas.

P-town- Sorry about the identity confusion, it is Phisin Paul that gets out to BLC, and I double checked, my seat stay yoke is beveled.

P.S.- A lighter Cuervo would be siiick! I'm in for one of those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts