Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PT diagnosed me with a patellofemoral syndrome on my right knee. Pretty sure I injured myself running up and downstairs while cleaning my house after a 30-minutes uphill running session. The pain became suddenly very sharp behind the top of my kneecap and it hurt a lot for a few days. Loud clack every time I extended my leg. Then, nothing!

But as soon as I get back on the bike for more than 30 minutes, it flares up again, not during the ride but the 2 days after. Then it disappears and comes back after the next ride. I beginning to think that my season is in jeopardy.

I had a professional fit done last year and my knees haven't bothered me for quite a few years in the bike, so I don't think that's the issue although I will have it reassessed,since it seems that raising the saddle a few mm seems to help and I'm already running a short crank.

Has anyone ever had to deal with that? How did you handle it and how long was the recovery?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,623 Posts
I was diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome over 20yrs ago. It was described to me as a repetitive stress issue, related to muscle strength imbalance from playing soccer.

Recovery was lengthy. And honestly, I still can't run for any major duration without knee pain. 5k's are about it for me. And so is soccer. No more trying to keep up with high school and college kids (like some adult leagues force). I could probably handle a true "old fat man's league" for 30+, but it just depends.

Recovery required lots of physical therapy, as well as completely stopping what aggravated it for a couple years (running). My PT was hesitant about letting me ride (that's when I started to ride mtb more seriously), but riding has never bothered my knees, so they're okay with it.

I once did a half marathon as a goal of pushing myself. I trained for quite awhile for it and was feeling pretty good. But once I hit the 10mi mark, my knees started to complain. I rested my knees for a bit prior to the event in hopes that I'd be able to tough it out. I completed the event, but the knee pain was unbearable and my riding season WAS more or less done that year. I had to take a couple months off to recover.

So take it easy. Get a clear diagnosis and a plan for recovery. Address what it is that's causing you pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.