Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what's your method?

I watched YouTube to learn the proper and most efficient way to do so, but three different videos showed three different ways.

Mine? Peel-and-stick with the tube inflated to the rough inside diameter of the tire. I prefer the peel-and-stick given that vulcanizing glue doesn't seem to last beyond one use and I used to live in a mosquito-y area. Inflated tube because patching it flat seems to put a stranglehold on it when inflated.

Right? Wrong?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,476 Posts
In the field, new tube.

At home, traditional glue patches, six at a time. It's the entire patch kit, so I throw out the tube of glue afterwards and the drying issue doesn't come up.

·
local trails rider
12,294 Posts
For me...
I haven't been getting lots of flats, so I patch when I get home. I use the traditional kind of patches because they seem to be more reliable than the stickers.

- pump up the tube enough that I can hear/feel/see the puncture
- mark it with the chalk that comes with the kit
- roughen the spot with the small piece of sandpaper
- apply a small amount of the vulcanizer liquid and spread it with my finger, to the size of the patch
- wait until the glue is not wet and sticky. 5 minutes?
- remove the metal backing from the patch and press it on, hard. rub it from center towards the edges

Done

The glue seems to keep well enough that I have a few extra tubes of it left, as I've been using the one that is already opened.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the tip about blowing the tube up near tire size. Never thought of that one before, but have noticed the "strangling" effect as you air up a patch put on a deflated tube and wondered if that was not incorrect.

I've switched to the peel and stick patches as well...much faster and easier than the tubes of adhesive to deal with and haven't had one fail on me yet...knock on wood.

·
local trails rider
12,294 Posts
I haven't been pumping up the tube to eliminate the "strangling" but leave air in the tube for patching if the tube will hold it. Haven't noticed any ill effects during riding.

When pumping up the tube, it will easily stretch to much larger size than it can in the tyre.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,787 Posts
So, what's your method?

I watched YouTube to learn the proper and most efficient way to do so, but three different videos showed three different ways.

Mine? Peel-and-stick with the tube inflated to the rough inside diameter of the tire. I prefer the peel-and-stick given that vulcanizing glue doesn't seem to last beyond one use and I used to live in a mosquito-y area. Inflated tube because patching it flat seems to put a stranglehold on it when inflated.

Right? Wrong?
I replace the tube on the trail, patch the bad tube at home later with regular glued patches. In my experience, the glue-less do not work as well over the long haul.

Second flat (almost never happens, maybe three times in the 13 years I've been riding) I've got to patch on the trail. Been using the standard patches, but I've thought about keeping a couple of glue-less (peel and stick) patches in my pack just in case I don't want to spend the time with the regular ones.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've adopted swapping tubes on the trail and patching at home, too. The peel-and-stick are for the rare occasion that I flat twice or more on a ride. I only carry one spare tube when riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.