Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I both were diagnosed with Lyme disease in the last 2 weeks. 99% of our riding is in Patapsco.

I never would have caught mine, I had no symptoms at all and had, had it for almost 3 months. I went in for a normal checkup and they noticed that my heart was dropping everything 4th beat or so. They did a blood test and and it came back positive for Lyme's. I spent 2 days in the hospital getting IV antibiotics and have a midline in my arm so I can give myself an IV twice a day for the next two weeks.

I'm sure this is a common problem, what does everyone else do to avoid this? It's too hot for long sleeve/pants. Just DEET and close inspection after the ride?

·
Registered
153 Posts
wow, 3months with no symptoms? I always thought all you had to do was find the "bull's eye" type of marker in the infected area.

Your question on avoiding this. I had vaccine called Lymerix few years back. It was a two part injection at the time, but I stopped after my first shot. It made me really sick, like full blown Lyme disease, and I really though I was gonna die on my bed that night. Couldn't move and too sick to even call for help..lol. Funny now after surviving it. The initial effect fromt the vaccine was terrible but I think the treatment also gave me some lingering fatigue that never went away.

Hope you and your friend make full recovery. Once you recover, you might have some kind of immunity to the disease?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I may just have to take a good look afterwards. Try to check my back in a mirror or have a friend look. They say it takes 18-24 hours of the tick being latched on before you can get lyme disease. Bleach Baths!

No Symptoms at all, I feel 100% and would've never suspected anything was wrong. I did read that they used to have a vaccine but yanked it off the market because it could cause severe arthritis.

I know a Doctor in the area who said they have seen wayyy more outbreaks this year then others. Between me and my friend I know almost 10 people who have gotten it this year. Thats more then i've known in the last 10 years combined. Not sure what's going on around here.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I've had it this year also. I THINK I got it from Gambrills last February or march. Can't remember exactly when I was bit. Found the little fvcker on me and removed it. A couple days later I got sick and had a metallic taste in my mouth. Went to the doc. I didn't see a bulleye so I thought I was good and just had a bad cold. Once I told the doc about the tick he immediately put me on AB's, took a blood sample and told me to come back. A few days later, I'm feeling like my old self and was out jogging. I look at the tick bit and sure 'nugh I had a bullseye. I go back to the doc and he verifies it. The first test came back negative. A few wks later I go back for a second test and again, it was negative.

Last week I was going around on base looking at bldgs that are scheduled to be demo'ed. This involves walking though some tall grass and weeds. So I get home and sitting in my chair here when i noticed a tick crawling on me. I call the GF over, strip down and found out that I was COVERED in ticks!!! By the time we were done picking them off, I counted over 30+ ticks. back to the doc I go. He takes a blood sample and again, it's negative. I go back in mid August for one more test. No symptoms, but itchy as he11 right now.

Fvcking little bastards!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
bagtagley said:
Dang, crash, 30+!?

You still in WV? In my 20+ years there, I only ever picked one tick off myself, and it wasn't a deer tick.
No. This in southern Maryland. Ticks, heat and humidity are all bad around here. Never had a tick problem back home. I think in my whole life I've only picked off 2 to 4 ticks until I moved here. Every summer I pick a few of 'em off me. A coworker told me he picks 2 or 3 off of his kid weekly. They seem particularly bad this year. I read that even President Bush was treated for Lyme's last yr. Musta got it at Quantico.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
i found a tick after a ride at fairland sunday. i don't even recall going through much if any tall grass.

i thought i remembered reading that deer ticks are so small that they are very hard to see even when they are on you. am i wrong in thinking this?

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Man,
Sorry to hear that. I hiked the A.T last year and hikers were dropping like flies due to Lyme. I used this stuff called Ultrathon in the paste version on just my legs EVERY SINGLE DAY TWICE A DAY from mid VA to VT. I wasn't taking any chances.

Ultrathon goes on like a paste and lasts 12 hours, is splash and sweat proof. I obviously lived in the woods not far from you guys and never had a tick on me. I was super careful. My little brother just got it up here in Maine. Lyme is bad stuff. From my research, all ticks in the nymph stage carry it. In addition, it is rumored that horse and deer flies are carrying it. Good luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Can you get a small itchy rash from a tick bite but not get inffected? I pulled a tick off my leg about a month ago and the next day there was a dime sized itchy rash that lasted a few days. The tick hadn't been attached for more than a few hours.

:confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
All these talk about tick bite is scaring me; I usually don't check for ticks after a ride. After reading this thread, I went to the doctor's yesterday to take a lyme disease test but I'm still awaiting the results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.