Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,497 Posts
I'd prefer she be in motion and more singletrack in the photo, to emphasize the biking aspect. A little dust kicked up behind the bike is always a nice detail.

Not that it isn't terrific already :cool:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
Very much so

Either that, or she's about to get swept away by the aliens from Close Encounters. :D

Very nice pic, John. Color would have taken away from the pics intent, IMO.

·
Fartographer
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really?

You mean riding with her arms up like that? Or just riding? She probably would have crashed if her arms were out like that. This was an unplanned grab shot that I liked but wasn't sure what to do with. The black and white treatment started to make it meaningful.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Photo-John said:
You mean riding with her arms up like that? Or just riding? She probably would have crashed if her arms were out like that. This was an unplanned grab shot that I liked but wasn't sure what to do with. The black and white treatment started to make it meaningful.
I like the shot as is. I think her riding with arms spread just like that would scream "Passion" but you are right the chance of crashing goes up. Somehow in my head this was a set up marketing type shot for a specific reason as opposed to an unplanned grab. Nice catch and way to be quick with the camera.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,138 Posts
Photo-John said:
This was an unplanned grab shot that I liked but wasn't sure what to do with. The black and white treatment started to make it meaningful.
Cool pic. Unplanned shots are often very nice.

"Bring it" or "Yeee-hawwww! Lets go!"
Black and white does add to it. I think color would take away some of the impact.
I do like it more than the other two.
Thanks.

·
Fartographer
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha

FrontRanger said:
Somehow in my head this was a set up marketing type shot for a specific reason as opposed to an unplanned grab. Nice catch and way to be quick with the camera.
If it was a planned shot it would be much more balanced and polished and probably the background would be different. She just stretched while I was either putting my camera away or taking it out. I put it together with the scene in my mind, saw the potential, and got the shot. I've been looking at it for a few weeks now and just yesterday had some idea of what to do with it.

Might have to try to rig one, though. It does have potential as a stock photo.

·
Fartographer
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mmmmmm

slippy_luv said:
Nice and clear picture.Those other shots would look really good too formatted in sepia or black and white.
For me, the other two are about color. The first one needed the color removed so that it became more about the gesture.

·
Fartographer
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kid Away!

Kid away, Rich - I'm right there with you :D

Freshness, huh? How about openess, one-ness? It represented the feeling I had on that trail, for sure. And that's really a sense of space and comfort in the envirnonment. That trail (JEM) has a wonderfully open and free feeling. Maybe that's what it's about?

·
El Malo
551 Posts
Nice photo... it definitely expresses passion.

Planned shots are nice but it's hard to beat the feeling of knowing you've captured a beautiful shot in complete spontaneity.

In my opinion, that is the essence and art of photographing moving objects... it's all about perfect timing.

·
Fartographer
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In my opinion, that is the essence and art of photographing moving objects... it's all about perfect timing.
That's true. But most great mountain bike photos involve a session with a carefully set up camera, well-composed scene, and about 20 run-throughs by a good rider. There are exceptions, but perfection usually requires repetition. Most of the time I need to tune up my shot and the rider takes a few runs to tune up their riding.

But the rare perfect spontaneous image is magic!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.