Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Candlestick Maker
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Digging through some old boxes recently, I found some old cycling numbers and mementos. I've been riding bikes for almost 40 years now, but I didn't really have the full on passion/obsession 'til 1993 when I did my first 24 hour race. The fun, suffering, camaraderie, and character-building at that event really opened my eyes to a lifelong passion.

Where, when, and how did your passion start?

· Pocket Pool Savant
631 Posts
I was a pro BMX vert guy back in the mid-late 80s. The last fall took me off vert forever.

Rode my first MTB in a vicious game of MTB polo in '90 and I was hooked. I took the last couple of years off, but I dusted off the old rig last night and I'm starting to get it ready for the spring riding season.

AJ

· I didn't do it
14,131 Posts
I rode bikes pretty much since I could walk. In fact I still remember the precise day I took my training wheels off - all by myself! Probably one of the coolest childhood memories I have. Anyhow it went to BMX then mountain bikes came along and they looked like big BMX bikes so I got one (a Nishiki Colorado) and never looked back.

· Retro on Steroids
3,051 Posts
I got on a ten-speed for the first time in my life at the age of 24 in 1970. It was a cheap POS Schwinn Varsity. The first thing I noticed was that even though I was an absolute beginner, on a wreck of a bike, I rode faster than everyone else I saw. It turned out that it was the only athletic pursuit I was any good at. Within about two years I was on a Colnago.

In 1972 I got a new roommate, a guy named Gary Fisher who was also crazy about bikes, and things got even more interesting.

· Now with 10% more!
407 Posts
I got on a ten-speed for the first time in my life at the age of 24 in 1970. It was a cheap POS Schwinn Varsity. The first thing I noticed was that even though I was an absolute beginner, on a wreck of a bike, I rode faster than everyone else I saw. It turned out that it was the only athletic pursuit I was any good at. Within about two years I was on a Colnago.

In 1972 I got a new roommate, a guy named Gary Fisher who was also crazy about bikes, and things got even more interesting.
/thread

· Registered
278 Posts
yeah repacks a bit of a legend :)
I got back into mountain biking when i got into mountain bike orienteering a few years ago. Then in 2006 I tried a race called the scott 24hr as part of a team. since then i have either raced witha team or volunteered . that race is in october. Two weeks ago a guy at work was looking for riders for his team of four at a race called the Mont in Canberra aus. So I volunteered and on the weekend of the 5th of April will be competing in that. I have owned a MTB since 1991 but it had slicks and was used mostly on road...but it was a Gary Fisher. Sadly about 5 years ago had to get rid of the frame as I had no space. wish i still had it :( black and red hookooekoo.

· Retro on Steroids
3,051 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.