Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Digging through some old boxes recently, I found some old cycling numbers and mementos. I've been riding bikes for almost 40 years now, but I didn't really have the full on passion/obsession 'til 1993 when I did my first 24 hour race. The fun, suffering, camaraderie, and character-building at that event really opened my eyes to a lifelong passion.

Where, when, and how did your passion start?

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
I was a pro BMX vert guy back in the mid-late 80s. The last fall took me off vert forever.

Rode my first MTB in a vicious game of MTB polo in '90 and I was hooked. I took the last couple of years off, but I dusted off the old rig last night and I'm starting to get it ready for the spring riding season.

AJ

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
I rode bikes pretty much since I could walk. In fact I still remember the precise day I took my training wheels off - all by myself! Probably one of the coolest childhood memories I have. Anyhow it went to BMX then mountain bikes came along and they looked like big BMX bikes so I got one (a Nishiki Colorado) and never looked back.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,992 Posts
I got on a ten-speed for the first time in my life at the age of 24 in 1970. It was a cheap POS Schwinn Varsity. The first thing I noticed was that even though I was an absolute beginner, on a wreck of a bike, I rode faster than everyone else I saw. It turned out that it was the only athletic pursuit I was any good at. Within about two years I was on a Colnago.

In 1972 I got a new roommate, a guy named Gary Fisher who was also crazy about bikes, and things got even more interesting.

·
Now with 10% more!
407 Posts
I got on a ten-speed for the first time in my life at the age of 24 in 1970. It was a cheap POS Schwinn Varsity. The first thing I noticed was that even though I was an absolute beginner, on a wreck of a bike, I rode faster than everyone else I saw. It turned out that it was the only athletic pursuit I was any good at. Within about two years I was on a Colnago.

In 1972 I got a new roommate, a guy named Gary Fisher who was also crazy about bikes, and things got even more interesting.
/thread

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Although we all have our own "beginnings," nobody else here can say that there were there in the beginning! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
yeah repacks a bit of a legend :)
I got back into mountain biking when i got into mountain bike orienteering a few years ago. Then in 2006 I tried a race called the scott 24hr as part of a team. since then i have either raced witha team or volunteered . that race is in october. Two weeks ago a guy at work was looking for riders for his team of four at a race called the Mont in Canberra aus. So I volunteered and on the weekend of the 5th of April will be competing in that. I have owned a MTB since 1991 but it had slicks and was used mostly on road...but it was a Gary Fisher. Sadly about 5 years ago had to get rid of the frame as I had no space. wish i still had it :( black and red hookooekoo.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I rode bmx, then my parents got me a Schwinn MTB in the late 80's, walked away from all of it at 18. Got back into it at 35

·
Retro on Steroids
2,992 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts