Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hardrock pro and am quite passionate about it and hardtails in general, however it seems today that a lot of the terrain is geared towards full suspension, which would make some of the rides I do more comfortable.

However, I like the simplicity of the hardtail but am considering a nice full suspension like the king kikapu at the end of summer. Problem is, I am just stuck between a nice hardtail like say stumpjumper or others, or a FS xc bike. Anybody have any advice?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I think it really comes down to priorities.

(my background: I ride a tough HT on pretty rocky trails but there is nothing "big" on my current regular trails. I have a long travel FS bike "in progress" and expect to look for some bigger stuff on it)

The HT certainly makes you work harder and is less comfortable in rough terrain. Now, what do you want? Do you want to be challenged by the trail or do you want to go fast and be comfortable on a slightly more complex bike?

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
One of each. It's like that old Mounds/Almond Joy commercial: "Sometimes you feel like a hardtail, sometimes you don't."

I have a nice hardtail that has treated me well for a while now, but I am riding stuff these days that just begs for a FS rig. So I'm going to build one up later this summer, but I am keeping the hardtail in the stable for when I feel like a little unsprung riding. Know what I mean?

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
i have one HT & one FS. the HT is an old specialized hotrock (yep a hotrock) that i turned into a singlespeed. it has absolutely no bling. the FS is a stumpjumper with the betd rear linkage and a new 5 inch fork (some more squish than the stock stuff).

I love my SS, i take it everywhere since i have built it up... however, this past weekend i was on a trail that handed me my a$$ on the SS (i was on a 2:1 ratio - so that's my excuse)... and my geared FS would have been very welcome.

the trail was really steep and constantly technical, with a few scarier steeps/drops. by the end of the day, my wrists and hands were wrecked from the super-short travel on the SS/HT, and my legs were burning on the downhills. i want to go back to the place on my FS with the extra-squish and gears, and figure out some of the stuff i couldnt do, then go back again on the SS again (with an easier gearing ratio) and conquer that damn trail!

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
cmktech said:
I have a hardrock pro and am quite passionate about it and hardtails in general, however it seems today that a lot of the terrain is geared towards full suspension, which would make some of the rides I do more comfortable.
The trerrain isn't geared toward anything it's just there. Many rough trails are still ridden by people on fully rigged bikes as they were in the 'old' days. If you find yourself ridding mostly rough rocky trails and you want more comfort, then go FS. I did.

george

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I made a few points to further help:

1) I like all my pedaling to go towards the wheel and no pedal bob possible in the rear.
2) I ride mostly singletrack, and only about 10% of it is rocky terrain.
3) I havn't got to ride a hardtail with a NICE fork yet, just the mz-3 that came on mine.
4) Would a $1500 Hardtail feel much better than my $650 on now?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think age may have a factor too.
I'm 37, and ride a Titus Racer-X (FS) and a Jamis Dakota-XC (HT). I really enjoy both bikes. I love the response and how easy it is to attack with the Jamis, but lately, I seem to be riding the Titus more. The bouncing around on the Jamis has just been annoying me more. I plan on building up a Santa Cruz Blur-XC (FS) this winter.

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
cmktech said:
Well I made a few points to further help:

1) I like all my pedaling to go towards the wheel and no pedal bob possible in the rear.
2) I ride mostly singletrack, and only about 10% of it is rocky terrain.
3) I havn't got to ride a hardtail with a NICE fork yet, just the mz-3 that came on mine.
4) Would a $1500 Hardtail feel much better than my $650 on now?
i think you should stay with your hardtail and maybe upgrade your fork and components... do some weight-loss stuff, have some fun with it. you'll spend less than buying a straight up new bike... and $1500 is a lot of bucks.

if not... buy the new blingy-bling hardtail, and convert your old HT to an SS:thumbsup:

·
Registered
861 Posts
I came from a HT to a FS, and I have to say I have a MUCH more fun time riding on my Prophet than I ever did on my Haro HT. I say go for the FS, I doubt you'll regret it.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I was thinking that at my young age 17, i dont have a problem getting abused on the trails. I was thinking of upgrading my fork and wheel set to save some weight, and some bars and a lighter seat post. I would like to shave 5 pounds off my hardtail and then I think I would be happy, because it would be better on climbs and it would be decked out, and there would be no need for a new bike.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
I have more fun on a Hardtail over a Full Suspension Bike. i have 2 HT and 1 FS (6in)

the HT is great in the fact it takes a little more finesse in your riding style than the FS, though i do switch it out: which bike to ride, really depends on mood, more than what terrain we're going to ride.

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
I have a rockhopper, Ive been riding 5 years so I know what I am doing to a certian level. I am upgrading the fork this summer{pathetic manitou six} and the brakes and rims this fall or maybe next year. I may skip on the rims altogether, cuz I want a full sus marin quad, but it will be a while before I can afford it. So for now, I love my hardtail, I know my hardtail, I will keep my hardtail. Execpt for the fork. NEVER BUY A MANITOU SIX. The same goes for your mz3. Were both in the same boat here, you could use a dulie, but you dont necesarilly need one, your fork though, sucks. Good luck.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Dirt Bringer said:
I will keep my hardtail.
Me too.
I haven't been riding my Banshee Scirocco for much more than a year but I am pretty sure it is a keeper. I am likely to upgrade/re-spec it as parts wear but the frame will stay.

Everybody should have at least one HT bike.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Linkup said:
I'm 37, and ride a Titus Racer-X (FS) and a Jamis Dakota-XC (HT). I really enjoy both bikes. I love the response and how easy it is to attack with the Jamis, but lately, I seem to be riding the Titus more. The bouncing around on the Jamis has just been annoying me more. I plan on building up a Santa Cruz Blur-XC (FS) this winter.
Easier to attack...you mean those quick bursts of speed you need to get up ledges, rooty sections, etc.? I call those dyno moves. Are they harder or much different on a FS?

I'm thinking of replacing my HT frame with a 4" FS frame. That would be "the bike". Well, except for an older HT frame that's a single speed now. I think it would be cool, but my wife keeps telling me to get the entire bike and not just the frame, that I'll regret not having a geared hardtail around. I'm a go fast, wheels on the ground, but ride for hours kind of guy. Would an efficient 4" bike be so different, in an unfun way, from an HT?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.