Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, so recently I went on a trip to Nepal with Sacred Rides and since its raining out here in Norcal and freezing cold wanted to share some photos.

Our bikes lined up by the staff at our hotel.

IMG_0142.jpg

Here is Nick rocking the double track

IMG_5585.jpg

A technical set of steps.

IMG_5817.jpg

After three days riding in the valley we took a flight into Jomson and went up in elevation. As you can see the terrain completely changes after you go up in elevation.

Some of these photos are Iphone, some dslr, and some gopro.

5GoPro2.jpg

The scenery was incredible. :D all around. Some of it was very rocky.

6GoPro6.jpg

No trip complete without a picture of one of many suspension bridges we rode on.

IMG_5680.jpg

Amazingly you could be up at 12000 feet, and if you look around there were mountains towering over you.

IMG_5755.jpg

Can't help but include a picture of the local food Dahl Baht. We ate this at least once a day. It was kind of like Indian food but not as spicy. :thumbsup:

IMG_5842.jpg

Last pic of the group 2 Brits 3 Canadians and 1 American at the airport.

DSC_8440 2.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.:D

Pardon my plug. Sacred Rides | The World's #1 Mountain Bike Adventure Company Since 1996

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
I have been getting very itchy about going to ride there! A trip might be in the offing soon.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually have some awesome photos because one of the riders on the group was a professional journalist with a DLSR camera, who took amazing photos, but I can't upload them to mtbr I keep getting errors (maybe the photos are too big?). All of these above photos are cell phone go pro or point and shoots.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everybody except for one guy brought their own bikes. I brought a Carbon Nomad, the guide Mandil who you can see in the video below rode a Banshee rune. The sweeper rode a Kona Hawg hardtail.

The journalist rented a giant reign from the guide

Everybody else brought their own bikes. One Rocky Mountain Element, Stumpjumper, the x country canadians brought a Top Fuel and a Carbon haven equipped carbon tallboy.

This trip was billed as a more all mountainy trip, but everything was very doable with a trail bike, a few of the downhills are more fun with more suspension.

I kind of took a climb slow descend faster approach, but you could basically take any bike.

Nepal Mountain Bike - Himalayan High - YouTube

I bought a bike bag to take it on the plane from Pika Pack works.

what kind of bikes did you rent?

also cool little segment on nepal in "strength in numbers" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GTDo-WHfAo shows some extra clips not in the original

·
Registered
237 Posts
Really amazing scenery, definitely want to go to Nepal. Not sure if I would want to cycle around Nepal, but rather hike.

·
Registered
482 Posts
very cool, i'm going to look into this...how do u rate sacred rides? can u tell me a little bit about your rides (how long were they, any historical sites you got to see), the quality of the guide, etc...thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is actually a good point. Bringing bikes is such a pain in the ass, you worry about it on the plane etc etc. Going yourself this is very hard because of the logistics. Also, certain brands (Shimano mineral oil hydraulics) have trouble when you get above certain elevations. My Avids held up nicely throughout, but my reverb needed air after changing elevations.

I probably would go back to hike also. I want to do the Annapurna or Everest Base Camp treks.

Really amazing scenery, definitely want to go to Nepal. Not sure if I would want to cycle around Nepal, but rather hike.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't speak for the rest of the trips, but for Nepal I rate sacred rides pretty highly. The Nepalese guide Mandil is pretty young but a good guide. Speaks very good English, and very straightforward, and quite smart. Very knowledgable about the trails, obviously local. (this tour is billed as an All moujntain ride). In the past when getting riders that were not technically advanced enough to do the ride he hired other guides to take them out so as to not detract from the other riders experience. He accommadates vegetarians, my lactose intolerance, and the food imo was quite tasty.

I did get lost on one day, because of freak occurences, the sweeper was really far back, and the x country Canadians had a group rush, but I was found shortly afterwards.

Check out the website it posts the itinerary, but you do go to see the Stupa at Boddinath, the crazy market at Thamel, the city of devotees (which is very interesting). I think if you want to see some of the other sites in Kathmandu you go a day or two early. There is actually I think 8 day of riding, the rest are visiting sites, getting acclimated, and flights within the country (there are two).

I like Sacred Rides enough to do the Peru ride in September next year. Keep in mind Sacred Rides is sort of the marketing side, all of these outfits are run by locals in country.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That is actually a good point. Bringing bikes is such a pain in the ass, you worry about it on the plane etc etc. Going yourself this is very hard because of the logistics. Also, certain brands (Shimano mineral oil hydraulics) have trouble when you get above certain elevations. My Avids held up nicely throughout, but my reverb needed air after changing elevations.

I probably would go back to hike also. I want to do the Annapurna or Everest Base Camp treks.
Yeah, I was actually thinking more about how difficult the actual cycling would be. And of course, with a bicycle you can't go some places that are accessible by foot. But your points are also valid.

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,367 Posts
I actually have some awesome photos because one of the riders on the group was a professional journalist with a DLSR camera, who took amazing photos, but I can't upload them to mtbr I keep getting errors (maybe the photos are too big?). All of these above photos are cell phone go pro or point and shoots.
Photobucket or one of the other pic hosting sites might be easier. Most of them have free accounts unless you want to put up a lot of pics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great pictures and video Whason!

Sacred Rides ambassador here..
Use the promotion code 143 on one of the 24 bucket list worthy rides in 15 destinations to get a free sacred rides jersey on your next ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have lived in Nepal for almost 2 years now(in 2 weeks) and I can attest to the amazing trails and scenery. Personally, I have never been on a guided trip, but there are many amazing trails with beautiful scenery. So many people walk everywhere and create their own "singletrack". I live on the outskirts of Lalitpur on the south side of the valley and ride 5+ days per week and I haven't repeated the exact same route in more than a month. Riding here is amazing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts